C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Rounded head bolt

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 08:06 PM
UAWDES1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Rounded head bolt

While removing my heads, I couldn't break the rear drivers side ARP bolt loose, so I used an impact wrench. Now I've rounded the edges. The six point 13mm 1/2 socket won't stay on when I try to break it loose with a breaker bar. Any ideas or help will be appreciated!!!
Thanks,
KJ
Old 12-09-2004, 08:22 PM
RoHo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just the other night on TV I saw Sears advertising a new wrench that they now have, funny shaped opening just for stripped and rounded off bolt heads, you might give them a try.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 PM
deadwood
Intermediate

If possible to get to (and you have the tools) weld a nut on top of the bolt. Just take the right precautions if you do.
Good luck
Trey
Old 12-09-2004, 08:56 PM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

or bang a 16 pt impact socket on that is a tad smaller and that should do the trick.

Dave
Old 12-09-2004, 09:07 PM
UAWDES1
Instructor

Thanks for the replies!
KJ
Old 12-09-2004, 09:14 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by deadwood
If possible to get to (and you have the tools) weld a nut on top of the bolt. Just take the right precautions if you do.
Good luck
Trey
Oh, I'd be REAL careful with that one. That's aluminum you're welding on top of. Might get the bolt out and find out you've warped the heads.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Oh, I'd be REAL careful with that one. That's aluminum you're welding on top of. Might get the bolt out and find out you've warped the heads.
Good advice. Bolt and nut extractors are available in lots of places. I'd try one of those first.

ARP bolts are really hard. How did it happen?
Old 12-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sometimes you can pound on a SAE socket on a metric nut and a metric socket on an SAE nut that are the next size down! I have done this quite a few time with success!

Let us know how you get it off!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:02 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Get one of those "ease out" things that Craftsman and others sell.
They attach to a drill and work very well.

Still....BE CAREFUL
Old 12-10-2004, 09:25 AM
UAWDES1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Patches

ARP bolts are really hard. How did it happen?
Don't really have a good answer for that one. Obviously Sears (Ingersoll Rand) makes a powerful twin impact wrench or maybe the tuner didn't use ARP bolts.
KJ

Last edited by UAWDES1; 12-10-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:07 PM
hightest
Pro

I had the same problem on a mitsubishi aluminum head. A pair of 10 inch channel locks worked great. Just make sure the teeth on the channel locks are still good.
If there isn't enough room for a pair of channel locks, an "easy out" extractor also works well. Just makesure to be gentle with the easy out, if you break the easy out inside the bolt, it will be almost impossible to get it out.
Good luck.
Old 12-10-2004, 08:40 PM
madeouttaglass
Le Mans Master

Location: AKA Harvey Mushman-I know just enough to be dangerous "Those who sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither"- B. Franklin
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by allegro
Get one of those "ease out" things that Craftsman and others sell.
They attach to a drill and work very well.

Still....BE CAREFUL
Be REAL careful! If you break that out you are in even deeper trouble. I strongly suggest that you find a reverse drill bit to drill the hole for the easy out. I've done this before and the drill turning left actually loosened the bolt/stud. No other work needed. Good luck and please post how you made out.
Old 12-11-2004, 11:40 AM
UAWDES1
Instructor

Originally Posted by madeouttaglass
Be REAL careful! If you break that out you are in even deeper trouble. I strongly suggest that you find a reverse drill bit to drill the hole for the easy out. I've done this before and the drill turning left actually loosened the bolt/stud. No other work needed. Good luck and please post how you made out.
Thanks for the info and I will be sure to let everyone know how it comes out. (No pun intended)
KJ
Old 12-11-2004, 12:58 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just one quick question. Are the rest of the headbolts still torqued to spec? You might already see where I'm going here.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:38 PM
deadwood
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Not trying to sound mean but you won't warp the HEAD if you "take the right precautions". I assumed that by "rounded off" you had no other means of removing the bolt. This should obviously only be done IF you know how.
Trey
Old 12-12-2004, 02:34 AM
NLKoerner
Instructor

[QUOTE=UAWDES1]While removing my heads, I couldn't break the rear drivers side ARP bolt loose.

The Sears sockets for rounded heads, as previously mentioned, are a REAL help, they are sockets with teeth that are tapered for biting into bolts, (nuts) and bite as they are turned. (Removal Only).
They bite harder as they turn due to the taper of the socket (pressure needed).
I haven't tried them on tempered bolts (nuts) but they work on rounded heads, (I drive the next lower size on).

I also have welded a socket to a bad bolt, (not aluminum heads) and for me it worked.
good luck.

Norm K.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:36 AM
wrustywrench
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok,, first, I would put all the other nuts back on and torque down,, this might lessen the pressure on the one bolt,,,as for welding a socket,,,most sockets are hard and dont weld easy,gets real brittle and breaks easy,,,same for welding on a hard nut,, I would try the sears bolt remover if possible,,,you might try snap on or mac/cornwell for a solution,,,,

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Rounded head bolt

Old 12-12-2004, 09:22 AM
gojo
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wrustywrench
ok,, first, I would put all the other nuts back on and torque down,, this might lessen the pressure on the one bolt,,,as for welding a socket,,,most sockets are hard and dont weld easy,gets real brittle and breaks easy,,,same for welding on a hard nut,, I would try the sears bolt remover if possible,,,you might try snap on or mac/cornwell for a solution,,,,

Suggest you use ARP lube on the bolts.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:29 AM
kutlow
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 135 Posts

Default how to get it out

first thing is buy the set of tools from sears that removes rounded head bolts..then heat the old head bolt cherry red...then using the tool from sears remove it ...u must use heat..also for future info when removing bolts that have been heated and cooled a number of times u must heat them first..one other word of advise ( always loosen a bolt by hand before using an impact wrench!!!more ppl get in trouble with an impact ask mechanics at garages!!!! hope this helps
Old 12-12-2004, 02:11 PM
UAWDES1
Instructor

Originally Posted by kutlow
one other word of advise ( always loosen a bolt by hand before using an impact wrench!!!more ppl get in trouble with an impact ask mechanics at garages!!!! hope this helps
I hear ya!! Thought I did my research. You got to get a handful of opinions before going forward on any project!
Thanks,
KJ

Going to try and get to it today, but you have to have the right frame of mind and right now my mind says beer and a football game versus possible mental anguish.

Quick Reply: HELP! Rounded head bolt