C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun with audio gear...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 07:29 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Fun with audio gear...

SO one year ago this week I bought my 99C5 and I immediately upgraded the stereo and changer to an MP3 headunit with new speakers and a Pioneer bass tube. That system was OK... So a few weeks ago I started asking about a sub box for the rear well... One of our members here had a custom box with a 12 inch Fahrenheit CK12 Sub installed. I bought it from him for less than I could have bought the Sub, and got it in over last weekend. I picked up an AudioBahn 6004T four channel amp, ran four gage wire from the battery with a fused link at the battery, and I re-routed all my wiring. Currently I'm running the four 6.5 inch DB BASS speakers that are positioned in the stock locations off two channels, with the Bass running Bridged off the other two. However, the amp comes with a line out and I'm thinking about a two channel bass amp to drive JUST the sub.

The sound is sooooo much more clear, with the full range represented and very scalable. I'm not into a lot of urban, or hip hop music, but wanted to hear what I listen to well, and I nailed it with this setup... And the price breakdown is below, but as of now I've got less than $900 in the TOTAL system... Another DIY that any of you guys could do!

Pioneer MP3 Headunit - $200 (After $50 rebate)
Box and Sub - $225 shipped
AudioBahn Amp - $250 locally (Have since found it on Ebay new in box for $130)
Four 6.5 3-way speakers - $160
Wiring and links - $60

The wiring I used was UTP RCAs, four gage wire for the ground and power, good Shielded 12 gage Speaker wire for all speaker to amp connections and an inline fused link. The box is an overhang design and gave me plenty of room to mount the amp and NO wiring is visibile except at the amp connections and for less than 2 inches. An excellent point for grounding your audio gear is at the seatbelt shoulder harness pickup points. I have a harness bar installed that is similar to a BK bar, and was able to use one to those available bolt holes at the floor area to pickup the ground from... ZERO interferance!

Fun FUn FUN!

Mike

Quick Reply: Fun with audio gear...