C5 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C5 products, services and promotions.

Now Available - AMT Full Floating Rotors for C5 Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 AM
Mark@AMT Motorsport
Supporting Vendor

Received 554 Likes on 264 Posts
Default Now Available - AMT Full Floating Rotors for C5 Corvettes

AMT Motorsport Full Floating Brake Kits

AMT Motorsport is happy to announce the arrival of our first product - Full Floating Rotor Kits for all C5 and C6 Base Corvettes

These rotors will fit C5 and C6 Corvettes with stock calipers as well as aftermarket calipers that run the stock 325mm rotor size

These first 10 kits are available for $700 and FREE SHIPPING for the set. After this first run is sold on Corvette Forum the price will go to $800 a set. We believe there is not a better quality, more feature laden rotor setup at this price point.

To place an order please e-mail Mark@amtmotorsport.com or PM me on Corvette Forum.

Benefits of running a full floating rotor:

-Greatly improved rotor life
When I first started HPDE'ing the C5Z in stock form I would crack brand new Centric rotors in about 3 hours on track. I had to bring 2 spare rotors to every event I attended. The first time I went to a 2 day event and cracked all my rotors including the spares and had to miss part of the second day, I switched to the AP Racing caliper setup. Since moving to a 2 piece rotor I've never cracked a rotor and have gone as much as 2 seasons on a single set. Yes 2 piece rotors are far more expensive than $50 junk one piece rotors. If you love being under your car and switching out hot broken rotors all weekend long, then this product isn't for you. If you're sick of losing track time because of broken rotors, these are a solution.

-Greatly improved braking feel due to radial and axial float
These rotors float in both the radial direction (spinning direction, if you like) and the axial direction (away from the rotor hat). This allows the rotor to move freely within the caliper and eliminates all the vibration and pad knock back that occurs with a single piece rotor. Nasty vibration coming through your pedal and shaking your whole car around at 140+ MPH is unsettling. These rotor kits eliminate that vibration.

-Better Heat Dissipation
The 6061 aluminum hats keep the heat in the rotor where it belongs and out of your calipers, brake fluid, and wheel hubs. Heat destroys those components and the more heat you keep out of them the longer they'll last.

-Replacement Cost
Once the initial investment is made, replacement rings can be bought for $200 per side. Considering a set of rings will typically last a whole season, the money is quickly saved when you're not trashing $50 rotors every 2 days.

Please read below for more pictures and product details.

The heart of the kit is the rotor and we've used some of the best available - the DBA 5000. There are many superlatives used to describe these chunks of iron. Kangaroo Paw vanes do a good job of venting the rotor, the clamping surfaces are .400'' thick to hold a lot of heat and provide very long wearing discs, and their heat treatment process further resists warping and cracking. Bottom line is we used a single rotor for the entire season of racing and testing on the #265 C5Z (Full aero, Hoosier A7s, AP Calipers, 1.7Gs of braking) and the rotors look barely used. Replacement rings will be $200 each.

The rotors arrive at AMT with holes and not slots. We machine the slots in one of our Haas CNC mills. Each rotor is probed individually in the machine and in our custom fixture to make sure the slots are machined exactly in the center of the rotor.

The hats are machined in house from US-sourced 6061-T6 aluminum. The source of aluminum does matter as non-US material can often be riddled with cracks and pores in the material. The material used is of ASTM B221 spec which is the most common spec called out when we make critical components for the Defense and Aerospace industries. The hats are black anodized for corrosion resistance and laser engraved for sex appeal.

The rotors have hexes machined to accept the NAS bolts. This makes for easier assembly and disassembly using only one wrench, and it ensures the rotors can be used on stock C5 and C6 base calipers.

The bushings that ride in the rotor slots and allow the rotor to float radially are made from hardened 17-4PH stainless steel. It's important to use materials for the bushings that have less coefficient of thermal expansion then the rotor material. We've seen kits that come with only steel bushings (rust like crazy) or brass (wears too much and very dissimilar expansion coefficients) Our bushings will never rust and barely wear no matter how many rings you use up.

Close up of included hardware. NAS bolt, 17-4PH bushing, and NAS jam nut. Jam nuts are included with replacement rotors. The jam nuts are labeled as "one time use only." To put that to the test I tightened and removed the jam nuts half a dozen times throughout the season just to see if they'd ever loosen up. Happy to say they did not.

In addition to radial float these rotors also have .030'' of axial float. This allows the rotor to run more true within the caliper. The axial float helps greatly to reduce pad knock back, especially in stock calipers with stock hubs. When vibrations occur (driving over curbs as an example) and the rotors do not have axial float, the rotor disc vibrates from side to side within the caliper - spreading your pads in the caliper and making for a longer pedal and reduced brake pressure at the next braking zone. This is less of a problem in cars with upgraded hubs. There are no springs sold with these kits to reduce noise between hat and rotor. That said, I've been running these rotors without springs at all four corners and never heard any noise from the hat/rotor "rattle." Multi-thousand dollar rotor kits from Alcon and Brembo don't use anti-rattle springs and those are big boy race car parts. If you're looking to run these brakes on your street car we can assemble with anti-rattle springs for a small up charge. There is extra hardware and assembly associated with the anti-rattle springs.

Thanks all for looking. Please post up any questions you may have and I'll be happy to address them.

Quick Reply: Now Available - AMT Full Floating Rotors for C5 Corvettes