C5 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C5 products, services and promotions.

Interest in urethane front lip

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:32 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Default Interest in urethane front lip

Hey guys, I know I've posted something similar before, but manufacturing wanted me to gauge interest. They are wanting to make a urethane lip for the C5 and we'll most likely use our Vortex lip as a base and add some fangs if you will, similar to our C5R. I personally think it would be one of the best looking lips out there. It wouldn't block any air flow to the radiator and of course being urethane it will not crack if you bump something or hit/scrape it pulling out of your driveway. We are looking at $399 shipped on these which I think is a great price considering shipping normally runs about $100 on a lip.

Anyway, If there is enough interest they are willing to start pretty quickly on it. I'm open to comments or suggestions. Please post up if this would interest you.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Hey guys, I know I've posted something similar before, but manufacturing wanted me to gauge interest. They are wanting to make a urethane lip for the C5 and we'll most likely use our Vortex lip as a base and add some fangs if you will, similar to our C5R. I personally think it would be one of the best looking lips out there. It wouldn't block any air flow to the radiator and of course being urethane it will not crack if you bump something or hit/scrape it pulling out of your driveway. We are looking at $399 shipped on these which I think is a great price considering shipping normally runs about $100 on a lip.

Anyway, If there is enough interest they are willing to start pretty quickly on it. I'm open to comments or suggestions. Please post up if this would interest you.
urethane does not have enough structural integrity in a Lip application. If by " Lip " you are referring to a splitter, its purpose is to act like a wing. a rubber wing will wave at high speed, and under extreme high speed could be a big issue.. You will find lots of people giving you a positive go.. but I think few will buy it.. Of course I could be wrong, because half the people here buy a cam just for the sound ( you know Posers ) they do NOT care about Hp gains only if it sound like a " race Car "

An unsupported lip will only get worse looking quickly because it does not have structural integrity.. if it had lots of bends and curves like the front or rear fascia, it would be ok but a splitter is basically just a straight wing with no bends or curves..

AS a designer, I have to look at the functional aspects, and the failure modes and effects.

just my opinion.

Bill aka ET
The following users liked this post:
Sam Handwich (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Thanks Bill. I have mentioned to them these exact concerns. They have made them for other vehicles and they can control how thick or thin the material is to keep it from flapping around so to speak. I'll make sure to reiterate this to them to make sure they are aware that we wouldn't settle for a flimsy lip.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:28 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Thanks Bill. I have mentioned to them these exact concerns. They have made them for other vehicles and they can control how thick or thin the material is to keep it from flapping around so to speak. I'll make sure to reiterate this to them to make sure they are aware that we wouldn't settle for a flimsy lip.
thick or thin rubber, wont cure rigidity. a bunch in integrated metal gussets would work in the application, but is would increase the cost to manufacture..

Metal gussets? Like ReBar before pouring concrete..
the gussets in the lip would be unseen as if is was insert molded with the urethane forming around them.. the gussets could also be placed strategically to be a structural mounting point.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Pete, not to side-track this thread . . .

But, since you're asking - I would love to see a high-quality version of your rear fascia. I - and many others here, I suspect - would buy one of those in a heartbeat if the amount of work to install it was reasonable with a good initial fit.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Patches
Pete, not to side-track this thread . . .

But, since you're asking - I would love to see a high-quality version of your rear fascia. I - and many others here, I suspect - would buy one of those in a heartbeat if the amount of work to install it was reasonable with a good initial fit.
How did I know you were gonna ask if I had 15-20 people line up for that right now, I would get it built.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

How did I know you were gonna ask if I had 15-20 people line up for that right now, I would get it built.
Then, I will need to initiate "The Campaign".
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM
danh52
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Mold it with a stiff spine, insert with a hard plastic that's compatible with urethane. I used to design a product that had a core of glass filled nylon 6 with an overmold of urethane. In that case the urethane was added for a soft grip but the same process is used for many other products. The molding cost might be prohibitive, not sure what you are used to spending on tooling so that would be your call but it is possible. The core could also be aluminum or some other material that is stiff, light and that the urethane will bond to.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:24 PM
StrangelovesM6Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you make one like this for $100.00?

It's just a flat piece of urethane that has a curved edge.

After my fiberglass C5R was destroyed by road debris on the highway at night I cut up an 89.00 ebay universal one and made it fit then used a bumper repair kit to bond it together.

Last edited by StrangelovesM6Vert; 02-15-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
urethane does not have enough structural integrity in a Lip application. If by " Lip " you are referring to a splitter, its purpose is to act like a wing. a rubber wing will wave at high speed, and under extreme high speed could be a big issue.. You will find lots of people giving you a positive go.. but I think few will buy it.. Of course I could be wrong, because half the people here buy a cam just for the sound ( you know Posers ) they do NOT care about Hp gains only if it sound like a " race Car "

An unsupported lip will only get worse looking quickly because it does not have structural integrity.. if it had lots of bends and curves like the front or rear fascia, it would be ok but a splitter is basically just a straight wing with no bends or curves..

AS a designer, I have to look at the functional aspects, and the failure modes and effects.

just my opinion.

Bill aka ET
I completely agree with you from a functional aspect, but let's be honest, the average person who's buying a lip for a car isn't buying it for function. I'm not saying there aren't plenty of people who buy for function, but a lot of people buy the add-ons because they look cool.

The advantage in the urethane on a non-tracked car is simply durability from hitting road debris, curbs, etc. It's not going to crack the first time it scrapes on a driveway. To some people that's more important than the downforce it produces at 100 MPH.

I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments, but for the lips that will be purchased by people who want to look cool, I think it's one of the best materials you can build it out of.

If you can find a way to give it the flexibility to withstand bumps against the ground / curb and give it the strength, perfect.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:56 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

A high quality rear fascia with a duck-tail would look cool.

Just sayin' . . .

ttt 👆
Old 02-15-2017, 09:30 PM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Just sayin' . . .

ttt 👆
If we are talking about a high-quality version, fit and finish, of the Xtreme rear bumper by CC, I would be in.
Patches (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 09:47 PM
lewislgZ06
NCM Lifetime Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,930 Likes on 2,015 Posts
2021 Corvette of the Year - Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Winner- Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just sayin' . . .

ttt 👆
I agree. I'd be interested too!
Patches (02-15-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Just sayin' . . .

ttt 👆
Originally Posted by alxltd1
If we are talking about a high-quality version, fit and finish, of the Xtreme rear bumper by CC, I would be in.
Originally Posted by lewislgZ06
I agree. I'd be interested too!
If we can get a bunch of people on board I'll make it happen.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:51 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

If we can get a bunch of people on board I'll make it happen.
Tell me what you need.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:01 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

To be blunt we need orders. If we make it we need to cover our costs, which on a urethane bumper will be a lot. Just throwing these numbers out there, but a mold for a bumper can cost me $5-6k if not more. If we price the bumpers at $599 we need to sell 20-30 just to break even. We experienced this with the diffuser. EVERYONE wanted one and waited forever for one to be made. We got it built and we barely covered our cost on them. Sales have been disappointing to say the least. I know that's the way it works so I'm not stressing out, but I won't keep building stuff for the C5 if people simply aren't interested anymore.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:54 AM
1Willy1
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 278 Posts

not to keep beating a dead horse but we need a good front fender flare .....its a wide open market no one has tapped into yet as far as I can tell

Except for L5, which very few people want to deal with them anymore

Get notified of new replies

To Interest in urethane front lip

Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

^ Trust me, it's not a dead horse, it's still kicking! I actually just text manufacturing today to get me the mold costs etc so we can see about moving forward. Been a slow process, some on them and some on me but I have not forgot.
1Willy1 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM
alxltd1
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

To be blunt we need orders. If we make it we need to cover our costs, which on a urethane bumper will be a lot. Just throwing these numbers out there, but a mold for a bumper can cost me $5-6k if not more. If we price the bumpers at $599 we need to sell 20-30 just to break even. We experienced this with the diffuser. EVERYONE wanted one and waited forever for one to be made. We got it built and we barely covered our cost on them. Sales have been disappointing to say the least. I know that's the way it works so I'm not stressing out, but I won't keep building stuff for the C5 if people simply aren't interested anymore.
Pete. I purchased my rear flared quarters, and my Vortex front spoiler, and side skirts from you, so I am definitely one to order the rear bumper. If we can get a reasonable delivery estimate and some assurance of quality fit and finish it would go a long way to securing other orders. Not giving you the “build it and they will come” speech, just stating a reality. $599 seems a reasonable price for the piece. Regarding front flares, I am a patient guy but finally bought the L5 fronts, and while I had no issues with the pieces or the transaction, the flare is just ¾”. I know others are looking for a more dramatic flare, though I only run a 295x30x18 front tire/wheel and it was just right for me. Regarding the diffuser, can’t comment as it was just not something I found appealing.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:53 AM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm with patches a urethane better fitting version of the Xtreme rear bumper. I'm sure we would pay $100 more for something without fitment issues.

Quick Reply: Interest in urethane front lip