Sponsored by:

[Z06] Zo6 or supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 06:46 PM
BriansZo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zo6 or supra

SHould i put the stage 3 clutch in the zo6 and put the X3 cartek cam package in, or should i just get out of the corvette and buy a supra. Supra's are the ultimate but my father feels they are unreliable and have no warranty, but he could carel ess about me voiding the vette's warranty. Thinking either figuring a way to cinvince him. Or going with a 402 stroker this summer and 150 shot. Def. be spankin supras left and right and be running with my friends 1000 hp one. But seems vette do no snap heads like a supra. Seems like people look but not the way at even a stock supra. Anyone with expereince fall in lovwe with their car after a cam or no.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:31 PM
FlyingZ06
Advanced

Why even ask that question here?! 2 different cars for 2 different folks.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:35 PM
the_Hunter
Heel & Toe

Supras are dyno queens and the Z06 is one of the best sports cars ever made. So why even ask this question?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:49 PM
LS1Bird
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, your choice to be made. I know I didn't consider a Supra because I wanted an all around performer and could care less about head turning.
I remember back quite a few years ago and even when I was young I wanted a Vette for head turning reasons. Now that I finally have one I don't even think about people being impressed, I just think about how awesome it is to drive and the great feeling it gives me when I'm securely fastened into a deep corner that's getting sharper.
I still haven't found this cars cornering limit yet. I'm flirting with the acceleration limit for stock since I just went last weekend for the first time in the Z and turned 12.3 sec 1/4mile @ 116mph.
Don't get me wrong though, Supra's are very nice just a different ballgame.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 PM
MrKool
Pro

Didnt they stop making supra's in 1996? I wonder why

well i like supras but i would much rather have a car that i can turn if i want to go fast in a striaght line then may be i would think about a 9 year old car

Also i am pretty sure toyota is comming out with a new supra to compete with these horsepower wars. If i were you i will get a Z for now and then may be get a supra when the new one comes out.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:39 PM
S1K C5
Instructor

pooppra's are garbage. the end
Old 02-15-2005, 08:52 PM
RealityCheck
Intermediate

Compared to a Z06, the Supra TT is an overweight, antiquated boat that happens to have one of the greatest engines of all time. Supras are like LS1 F-bodies: a mediocre car wrapped around a great engine.

Right out of the box, the Z06 is much faster than a stock Supra TT in a straight line and is in a whole different league when it comes to road course performance. How important is the 1/4 mile to you? DRs and a decent air intake setup will put a Z06 into the 11s. A BPU Supra will be there also, but you'll still be driving an poor-handling cow. Unless you're going for 9s and don't care about anything but going fast in a straight line, the Z06 is the better choice.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Marine
Racer

My mother had a supra. She thought it was cute and sweet.
IMO it is a wanna be Vette. Kinda like my LT-1 IROC but much worse.
It might try and act kinda like a Vette, it might try and look kinda like a Vette, but it just aint it.
If you want it, it is a Z06.
Just my 2 cents....cha ching

Last edited by Marine; 02-15-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:05 PM
SoulDad570
Instructor

I recently went to a DE where there was a driver in my class with a really hot modded Supra (great guy, and a great car!). In theory, his Supra was much stronger than my Z06. But he never passed me once. I saw him behind me several times, but he never had enough to challenge me. He was complaining about the short track, poor traction, etc. My Z06, while a lesser car according to the dyno, had more usable HP on the track. And it was no contest in the twisties.

It really depends upon what you want. If you want the quintessential tuner car, get the Supra. If you want a great sports car, the Z06 is the ticket.

Ciao,

Rick
Old 02-15-2005, 09:09 PM
Morzoff
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the_Hunter
Supras are dyno queens and the Z06 is one of the best sports cars ever made. So why even ask this question?

Supra
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Old 02-15-2005, 09:31 PM
2Fast4Radar
Advanced

All depends on what you want to do, Supra's can make a ton of power with a huge turbo, and all supporting mods and still do it on the stockblock with no problems. Depending on weather you buy a 6spd or auto determines how well you will put that power down @ the track. 6spd's are hard to launch and generally perform pretty poorly at the track unless you are running slicks and a 2 step. Auto supra's are a different story, I know a guy Marko who lives out here and he runs 8's all day in a full street weight car, (yes he actually drives this thing around everywhere!).
Supra's have their disadvantages though, it takes race gas to make big numbers, and when you start to make big power the powerband becomes terrible, (650+rwhp supras will only make good power from 5.5Krpms to 7.5Krpms) you will be lucky if you make anymore than 250rwhp before the turbo spools up. This accounts for a annoying street car when you want to just punch it and go. Thats why there is no replacement for displacement, you would never run into that problem if you made big power in a vette. I also feel supra's are a poor investment, I can't justify spending $30K on a car that barely books for $15K, and remember it's mostly teenagers and younger people who own supra's so it's HARD to come across a nice supra that hasen't been abused. (no offense to you younger forum members )
Im sure I don't have to explain all the advantages of a z06 on this forum, but in the end the z06 is a better overall performer and a better investment. Good luck whichever route you go.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:27 PM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you need a backseat? If so, then a Supra has that "advantage". Here's what happened when I decided to look for a new sports car to replace my BMW. I wanted something faster, but it had to handle well & be reliable, & affordable(to me). I'm not a drag racer. I like having a car that can move down the 1320, but the real challenge is in turning. I narrowed it down to a Z06, a C6, or a Viper GTS.

I never really considered a Supra, & here's why. I don't think they are a good value. You have to consider how old the car is, 9-12 years, how many miles it would have, & how much the price would be. Right there, I realized that for just a little more money, you could buy a GTS which would be about the same age, but faster stock for stock, probably lower mileage, & a more rare & cool car. I think the Supras are cool cars, but I see them as a car that should be selling for $20-$25k.

Then I decided that for a little less money than a GTS, I could get an almost new Z06, which would be a little slower, but would have a warranty, & a lot more creature comforts. I haven't had my Z06 very long, but so far I'm very impressed with almost all aspects. I can't imagine feeling a need for more power, but I know that if I do, I can slap on a SC for a very reasonable price & be up to close to 550 hp .
Old 02-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I have never seen anybody give a Supra a second look. Most of the ricers I see around here (not many) are old Hondas. I may be old but it sure makes me feel good when the grade schoolers (girls and boys) at the local bus stops give me the thumbs up as I go by in the Vette.
Bill
Old 02-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Z06, boo supra.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'm not going to even read the thread... I have many friends w/ very fast Supras and they suck at everything except Highway roll racing. The Z06 is a true sports car that can run low 12's in the 1/4, fly around VIR w/ the best of them, hold groceries, putz around, and get 30 mpg when you want to. IT's the ultimate jack of all trades whereas a Poopra is good for only one thing... yeah it does it very very well, but go to VIR once and you'll see how amazing the Z06 is.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

Why would someone want a dyno queen? What fun is a 1000rwhp car that runs 11s. Get the z06

Get notified of new replies

To Zo6 or supra

Old 02-16-2005, 02:24 AM
BriansZo6
Instructor

I got the zo6 just always wanted a supra. seems i should jsut stock with the vette. Maybe if i do the tiger shark body kit i love it way more. Ithink with that, a set of rims and carteks x3 cam i would never think twice about it.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:53 AM
radz0hh6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check this site and you guys tell me if this supra was abuse.
http://www.rjsupra.com/
Old 02-16-2005, 02:57 AM
SilverBulletZ06
Le Mans Master

1) Supras will get more heads turned because you don't see them every day and after the "Gay and the Curious" movie they are all in demand.

2) Supras will own a Z06 in a flat out highway race, but few other times.

3) How much $$ you want to spend?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Zo6 or supra