Sponsored by:

Factory Paint Overspray

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:35 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Factory Paint Overspray

Looks like some kind of white colored protective overspray...a bit in door jams & some between rear fender panels...came that way from factory. Best way to remove it??
Old 04-10-2005, 12:44 AM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

clay bar
Old 04-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,299 Likes on 13,972 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree, try a claybar with some detailing spray for lubricant. If that doesn't take it off, may have to talk to a body shop.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:52 AM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

That's polishing compound they use on the panels at the factory. I had some in various places on my C5 when I picked her up from the dealer. It comes off easily when you wash the car or when using a wet 100% cotton cloth. You could use some detailing spray as well.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:15 AM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Patches
That's polishing compound they use on the panels at the factory. I had some in various places on my C5 when I picked her up from the dealer. It comes off easily when you wash the car or when using a wet 100% cotton cloth. You could use some detailing spray as well.
That is correct, and it should have been removed by the dealer during the pre-delivery process (PDI). A bulletin was issued on the correct and easiest way to remove.
Condition:
Small white spots of rubbing compound left on the vehicle paint surface from the assembly plant. These spots may not come off during a normal wash procedure.

Cause:
During processing in the plant, rubbing compound may be left on the vehicle paint surfaces and may dry, leaving small white spots.

Correction:
Apply a 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol to the spots according to the following procedure.

Procedure
Notice: Using any other type of cleaning mixture or towel may damage the clear coat finish on the vehicle.

Carefully wash the vehicle according to the Saturn Owner's Handbook to remove any dirt and to ensure that the paint is not scratched during the rubbing compound removal.
Mix water and isopropyl alcohol to obtain a 50/50 mixture. Soak a soft 100% cotton cloth towel with the solution, and wet down the affected areas to loosen the rubbing compound. Keep the rubbing compound wet with the towel until the rubbing compound comes off.
After all the rubbing compound has been removed, wash the affected areas and inspect to ensure that all the rubbing compound has been removed.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:19 AM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
That is correct, and it should have been removed by the dealer during the pre-delivery process (PDI). A bulletin was issued on the correct and easiest way to remove.
Condition:
Small white spots of rubbing compound left on the vehicle paint surface from the assembly plant. These spots may not come off during a normal wash procedure.

Cause:
During processing in the plant, rubbing compound may be left on the vehicle paint surfaces and may dry, leaving small white spots.

Correction:
Apply a 50/50 mixture of water and isopropyl alcohol to the spots according to the following procedure.

Procedure
Notice: Using any other type of cleaning mixture or towel may damage the clear coat finish on the vehicle.

Carefully wash the vehicle according to the Saturn Owner's Handbook to remove any dirt and to ensure that the paint is not scratched during the rubbing compound removal.
Mix water and isopropyl alcohol to obtain a 50/50 mixture. Soak a soft 100% cotton cloth towel with the solution, and wet down the affected areas to loosen the rubbing compound. Keep the rubbing compound wet with the towel until the rubbing compound comes off.
After all the rubbing compound has been removed, wash the affected areas and inspect to ensure that all the rubbing compound has been removed.
Thanks for the tip. I think I've got some of the still on the 02 I got 4 weeks ago.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:03 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default clay bar

clay bar
Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
Condition:

Cause:

Correction:

Procedure

Will do...thanks 4 the info!

Get notified of new replies

To Factory Paint Overspray

Quick Reply: Factory Paint Overspray