C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] I TOOK 3rd PLACE @ The Connecticut Corvette Show...Pics inside

Old 07-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Brian Laser S4

Default I TOOK 3rd PLACE @ The Connecticut Corvette Show...Pics inside

Hi Guys,

So I decided to enter the Club Corvette Car Show AKA:Connecticut Corvette Concours Show and Shine @ Moroso Park. I went there to see how I would do having never done this show before and not knowing what to expect. The show was Sunday so my Saturday was all about getting her ready and loaded to go. When I got there, I was greeted by the show staff and I must say that this show was very well organized. I had no intentions of thinking about walking away with a trophy, I just wanted to get a solid idea about the show for next year to kick some a$$. Anyway, I got there and they had a strict cleaning cutoff time of 12 noon. I had about 2 hours before judging. I thought I had done a pretty good job on the cleaning because I had cleaned her up while doing the SC install while I was up in the tight spaces of the car. Luckily, some of the judges were walking around before judging and pointed out a few things to some of the people in my row, very cool of them BTW. One judge was pointing out a few things to me and I was like, “you’ve got to be kidding me.” Stuff like the cleanliness of your seat rails and INSIDE OF THE EXHAUST etc…

So after he left my car, I had about 1 hour left and prioritized what extra stuff needed to be done. With that info, I thought to myself there is no way I would even make the top 10. I think there were about 25-30 cars in my class. The breakdown for each class was 1-3 and best in show. This was a pure show and shine, no points for mods, presentation or display, all of which I came prepared with as if this were a vending show for me. I am pretty sure I was the only blown c5 there and the only SW ZO6 too. Each car was gone over by 3 judges spending upwards of 10-15 minutes per car and some even more. A Corvette fresh off the assembly line would not have done well at this show at all, that’s how insane these judges were and they knew their stuff. I learned a lot about detailing from these guys and I used to detail professionally for a few years too. Such as never use any Armor All products inside because it gasses off and messes up your glass.

At the time, everyone that was in my section left with a trophy and I was the only one empty handed but I was not upset. They went through the hardtop c5 class which was further broken down to the number of mods. I was put into the 6 or more mods class which had the 25 cars in it and I thought I heard them run through my class so I was having a discussion with a few guys and they called my name which I was not listening for. The guy next to says they just called your name for third. So I walk up and grab the trophy and walked back to my car completely stunned as to what I had in my hand.

Check out some of the pics from the show.

Link to PICS BWW

Brian

Last edited by Brian@FI Performance; 07-13-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:43 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Congrats.. Thats one heck of a trophy table they had setup.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:46 PM
enderz06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

VARY VARY NICE
Old 07-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Z06-JIM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Congrats! Great looking show!
Old 07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Hey Brian, I saw your from Stamford....Im looking to pick up an 02 Z06 by September and was wondering if you knew anywhere in CT to look. thanks
Old 07-13-2005, 03:38 PM
Brian Laser S4

Originally Posted by Oo Joe 24 oO
Hey Brian, I saw your from Stamford....Im looking to pick up an 02 Z06 by September and was wondering if you knew anywhere in CT to look. thanks
The ICS Performance Facilities are in Stamford and I live in Norwalk. You might want to check out WIlton Motors, I saw they had a very yellow Z a few weeks ago, not sure if it is still there. I bought mine off ebay and flew to Ohio to get her so I really wasnt to up on what was available around here.Karl Chev. may have something and H&L in Darien had a silver one on their lot too. A personal friend of mine is the Treasurer of GM and helped me with backround checks on the Z's I was looking at. Be preppared to pay high prices in ffld. county. When you do find one, we can help you out on parts/install etc...

Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Originally Posted by Brian Laser S4
The ICS Performance Facilities are in Stamford and I live in Norwalk. You might want to check out WIlton Motors, I saw they had a very yellow Z a few weeks ago, not sure if it is still there. I bought mine off ebay and flew to Ohio to get her so I really wasnt to up on what was available around here.Karl Chev. may have something and H&L in Darien had a silver one on their lot too. A personal friend of mine is the Treasurer of GM and helped me with backround checks on the Z's I was looking at. Be preppared to pay high prices in ffld. county. When you do find one, we can help you out on parts/install etc...

Brian
Yeh, most likely Ill find a private owner instead of a dealer...Never found of dealer cars....

How did you e-bay experience go? I just feel with Ebay Im risking alot within seeing the car first hand.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:03 PM
C6-CYa
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 145 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'09-', '22

the cleanliness INSIDE OF THE EXHAUST
I've seen people with polished aluminum rolled inserts made to fit inside the four tailpipes... That's taking the extra step I guess!

Old 07-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Brian Laser S4

Originally Posted by Oo Joe 24 oO
Yeh, most likely Ill find a private owner instead of a dealer...Never found of dealer cars....

How did you e-bay experience go? I just feel with Ebay Im risking alot within seeing the car first hand.
I agree with you on that 100% however this was my 2nd ebay vehicle purchase so I was well versed in how to handle it. I don't think I would have bought any GM vehicle off ebay with out my GM connection, i.e. Treasurer of GM is the father of a very close friend and he is the area sales manager for GM in NY/CT so he has upper tier GM computer access beyond what a dealer would have. My friend would run vins for me and I would know everything about the car, the buyer and the entire history from pre-assemble to present date. We had passed on 8 Z06's we ran due to something that my friend didn't like on the records on most of these cars. The seller had over 40 photos of the car and documented every stone chip, warranty part and everything else so I felt comfortable. I got the car for 27k with 24k miles on the clock. Car was bought at GSM price because he was an engineer for delphi for GM products etc... I knew what he paid for the car new, 41399, his social sec. #, income, credit rating, the whole nine. I spoke to the owner several times and felt comfortable buying sight unseen. Plus, with what I paid and the fact that he had the extended warranty, I was not worried at all. If you send me a vin, I can see if my guy can runn it for you.

Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 05:34 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Cool!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I saw your car there, definitely trophy material. Nice job. The Judges there are very good and very thorough. Try the Candlewood Valley Corvette show in Danbury in August - they do a great job too.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:27 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

I agree with you on that 100% however this was my 2nd ebay vehicle purchase so I was well versed in how to handle it. I don't think I would have bought any GM vehicle off ebay with out my GM connection, i.e. Treasurer of GM is the father of a very close friend and he is the area sales manager for GM in NY/CT so he has upper tier GM computer access beyond what a dealer would have. My friend would run vins for me and I would know everything about the car, the buyer and the entire history from pre-assemble to present date. We had passed on 8 Z06's we ran due to something that my friend didn't like on the records on most of these cars. The seller had over 40 photos of the car and documented every stone chip, warranty part and everything else so I felt comfortable. I got the car for 27k with 24k miles on the clock. Car was bought at GSM price because he was an engineer for delphi for GM products etc... I knew what he paid for the car new, 41399, his social sec. #, income, credit rating, the whole nine. I spoke to the owner several times and felt comfortable buying sight unseen. Plus, with what I paid and the fact that he had the extended warranty, I was not worried at all. If you send me a vin, I can see if my guy can runn it for you.

Brian
sounds good....when i go to buy one, ill throw you a vin.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:43 PM
Brian Laser S4

Originally Posted by CTYANK2
I saw your car there, definitely trophy material. Nice job. The Judges there are very good and very thorough. Try the Candlewood Valley Corvette show in Danbury in August - they do a great job too.
I think i will hit that show too, Bimmerfest East was rescheduled and was supposed to be on 8/6 so i think I can make it.

Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Z06VET
Racer

Congrats, nice Z and nice pics ! Where did you get that cool emblem hood pad on your car ?

Dan
Old 07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Brian Laser S4

Originally Posted by Z06VET
Congrats, nice Z and nice pics ! Where did you get that cool emblem hood pad on your car ?

Dan
Paint Pen, blue tape and alot of patience. I first started by spraying the whole liner with a thick coat of high temp flat black. then with a nice base so the color wouldn't get absorbed. A friend of mine is an airbrush artist and is going to do soem cool graphics for it soon.

Brian
Old 07-13-2005, 08:59 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seat tracks and the INSIDE of your exhaust? PUHLEASE!

Most of those guys should really lay off whatever meds they're on for suggesting things like that.

EDIT, just checked your pic link! We had an orange cat EXACTLY like yours! He died in 2002. We replaced him with an insane orange/white kitty. Too funny, hmm, another trophy to knock over

Glad you did well and had a good time.

Last edited by Jay 383; 07-13-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM
Aquaman92
Le Mans Master

Nice pics looks like a great show.

Get notified of new replies

To I TOOK 3rd PLACE @ The Connecticut Corvette Show...Pics inside

Old 07-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Sort of rare nowadays to find a show where they judge stiffly. There are a lot of people who get bent out of shape at the least little criticism. You listened and reacted positively to the criticism and succeeded. A lot of others would have gotten all huffy and blew it off. In our area there are no judged shows since so many people were offended when they found out they really had not done a good job cleaning their car, they wanted to be awarded a prize because of their gold trim, special upholstery, custom paint or chrome pieces and didn't believe they had to spend a lot of time cleaning the car well. Now all we have is participants choice shows. The first one I went to was the last. There was no competition, no looking for areas where people forgot to clean, etc. Haven't entered my car in a show in close to 10 years now.

Bill
Old 07-15-2005, 03:29 AM
LIGHTNING
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sort of rare nowadays to find a show where they judge stiffly. There are a lot of people who get bent out of shape at the least little criticism. You listened and reacted positively to the criticism and succeeded. A lot of others would have gotten all huffy and blew it off. In our area there are no judged shows since so many people were offended when they found out they really had not done a good job cleaning their car, they wanted to be awarded a prize because of their gold trim, special upholstery, custom paint or chrome pieces and didn't believe they had to spend a lot of time cleaning the car well. Now all we have is participants choice shows. The first one I went to was the last. There was no competition, no looking for areas where people forgot to clean, etc. Haven't entered my car in a show in close to 10 years now.

Bill

i've also learned that most of these shows are fixed. a "click" of various club members always seem to get the trophies. same cars with 15 trophies lined up...on a blanket in front of car. 95% of the time you look at the car & ask yourself what's so unique about that car!
Old 07-15-2005, 03:45 AM
ZaydeZ06
Pro

Brian, absolutely beautiful car..... while I love my black Z, if white had been available last year mine would be white, so classy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] I TOOK 3rd PLACE @ The Connecticut Corvette Show...Pics inside