[Z06] Factory cd changer wire/plug

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 08:13 PM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Factory cd changer wire/plug

Where is the factory cd changer wire/plug located on the Z? and what does it look like?
I found a black plug with grey trim under the passenger side moulding but it is bolted to a bolt that I cannot reach well enough to move.

thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 08:25 PM
LarryW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by magneto10
Where is the factory cd changer wire/plug located on the Z? and what does it look like?
I found a black plug with grey trim under the passenger side moulding but it is bolted to a bolt that I cannot reach well enough to move.

thanks

The two plugs are located in the passenger side footwell area; once you remove the panel exposing the fusebox, this is what everything should look like:

pic #1 - Passenger footwell fusepanel cover removed (CD changer ports are located on the lower right-hand side, those colored wires you see!)

pic #2 - closeup

If the plugs have never been disturbed (from the factory), one of them may be taped up against the harness and tucked up behind the right side plastic panel (see the closeup pic)...
Old 07-14-2005, 09:55 PM
_Rudy_
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My I hijack? How much of the changer harness is present in cars unequipped with the changer from the factory? Im planning an install?

Thanks/sorry
Old 07-14-2005, 11:09 PM
RPO_Z06
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by _Rudy_
My I hijack? How much of the changer harness is present in cars unequipped with the changer from the factory? Im planning an install?

Thanks/sorry
What you see in the pics is it, you need to run a harness from that to the rear of the car.
You can buy the harness from GM.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 AM
_Rudy_
Racer

thanks for the info
Old 07-15-2005, 07:55 AM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default CD Changer input

Thanks for the info!!!

Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default ipod hookup

Larryw

For your ipod set-up did the adapter plug right into these above cd changer plugs? the adapter they sent me won't work with these and I called the chevy dealer and they told me that the harness and CD changer are all one piece. I think maybe they sent me the wrong adapter.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM
LarryW
Pro

Originally Posted by magneto10
Larryw

For your ipod set-up did the adapter plug right into these above cd changer plugs? the adapter they sent me won't work with these and I called the chevy dealer and they told me that the harness and CD changer are all one piece. I think maybe they sent me the wrong adapter.

Thanks
magneto10,

You need another adapter: AB-GM10; the AB-GM10 connects from the iPod adapter like a "bridge" to the CD-changer harness (COR-HAR) which connects to the port plugs in the passenger footwell. The other end of the CD-changer harness has two plugs which connect to the "port" connectors in the passenger footwell.

Note: the instructions that came with my iPod adapter mention that you don't necessarily need the CD-changer harness (COR-HAR); but you would need to cut the white plug (in the pic) of the AB-GM10 harness and physically connect the wires into the port plugs in the passenger footwell. This was something that I did not want to do...

Here's a partial shot of what it looks like:

The COR-HAR CD-changer harness is bundled and the AB-GM10 harness is at the top...

Test connection; AB-GM10 harness is at the top. You can also see the end of the CD-changer (COR-HAR) harness plugs that connect into the passenger footwell area:

Last edited by LarryW; 07-15-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:15 AM
DwarfDump
Instructor

I have a Valentine One wired directly into the AUX power slot on the passanger side fuse panel, does this adapter need to be powered?

Also, if you use this adapter, does that render the 12 disc changer useless?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 09:51 AM
magneto10
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks!

Thanks LarryW

I was missing the CD changer harness, I had a hard time locating one (dealers here would sell it separately, only with the changer) but now I got it and I should have it up and running tomorrow.

I think I am going to wire it behind the passenger seat and then keep the ipod in the center console.

How is your's set up?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:16 AM
LarryW
Pro

Originally Posted by DwarfDump
I have a Valentine One wired directly into the AUX power slot on the passanger side fuse panel, does this adapter need to be powered?

Also, if you use this adapter, does that render the 12 disc changer useless?

Thanks
DwarfDump,

Yes, the adapter needs to be powered because it will supply power to the iPod.

The way this adapter connects to the AB-GM10 harness, I'm not sure if you can physically connect the factory 12-disk CD-changer at the same time...maybe someone else can chime in here!

magneto10,

Do a search here as well as the "other" forum; there are a couple of guys that have posted pics of their iPod install in the center console. I considered this initially but wanted to have better access to the iPod (it would be a PITA having to open the lid each time to mess with the iPod) and I'm also concerned about the heat in the console...

I was able to stuff the adapter box, the COR-HAR bundle, and the excess iPod cabling up above the passenger side footwell area. There is a panel (where the courtesy light is located) that is easily removed (two large round plastic fasteners, you pull down to release the fasteners); once you remove the panel, there is plenty of room up and to the right against the fender well. I wrapped the adapter box and the cable bundling with some thin poly-foam material (air filter material actually) to keep them from creating squeaking and buzzing against the other components in that area. Because of the tight fit, everything fits snug without any need for tape or wire ties ; easy to remove everything too if need be...

I routed the iPod cable to the cupholder; I temporarily removed the rubber piece from the cupholder and drilled an oval sized hole into the bottom of the cupholder. The iPod sits perfectly inside of the cupholder (the rubber piece in the bottom of the cupholder does a good job of hiding the hole) and when not in use, I stash the iPod in the glove box and close the cupholder lid to hide the cable end, perfect stealth setup.

I had wanted to somehow mount the docking station beneath the cupholder and cut a slot into the bottom of the cupholder (this would be the ideal setup), but the clearance is very tight (the docking station is a tad thicker than the available clearance between the cupholder bottom and the car body, it would require some amount of fabricating); the other thing is, I have a clear plastic cover on my iPod for protection which would not work with the docking station

Last edited by LarryW; 07-16-2005 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:53 PM
DwarfDump
Instructor

That sounds like a kind of install I'm looking for. Do you have any pictures of the iPod in the cupholder or any other pics you can post??

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
LarryW
Pro

Originally Posted by DwarfDump
That sounds like a kind of install I'm looking for. Do you have any pictures of the iPod in the cupholder or any other pics you can post??

Thanks!
Here ya go:

pic #1 - iPod cable in cupholder (crappy shot of the cable, sorry)

pic #2 - iPod connected in cupholder

You can't see the hole that I drilled at the bottom of the cupholder (hidden beneath the rubber piece in the cupholder)...
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Andy Boyuka
Intermediate

2001 cd player w/o changer.i am installing an oem 12 disc.at present there is an a/m 6disc.i am unsure where it plugs to. I just ordered a wire harness from a salv yard. Does it plug into the pass floor or back of radio?

Aok67
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM
lsxvette
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

subscribed

Get notified of new replies

To Factory cd changer wire/plug

Quick Reply: [Z06] Factory cd changer wire/plug