Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] The dreaded question - 02 Z06 or 93-98 Supra TT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:13 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded question - 02 Z06 or 93-98 Supra TT?

As I looked through corvette adds, my friend told me to check out supras....To my astonishment, I was able to find fully built supras in the 25-30k range, right where z06s are going for....My question to you guys is which is better? I know most will say z06, but try to be unbiased and use facts vs opinions.....The supra bottom/tranny is amazing and can withstand amazing power levels, probably the only reason why I might get one over a z06. Discuss
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

depends on what you want...Great road car Z06. Amazing top end bomber....Supra
Old 07-25-2005, 08:30 PM
QuikZilver
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well...I am a little bias towards the Z, because I have one and I love Vettes. I was talking yesterday about the TT Supras to another forum member (who actually has an Evo, but loves Vettes). We both were laughing about seeing one of the "stuck-up" Vette guys (yes, there are a couple of them...not many though) get their doors blown off by a fully tricked TT. The TT Supras can have a ton of stuff done to the motor and have 600+ hp without blinking an eye. I have not looked at what it would take to get either a TT or Z up to that HP in regards to money. As for the outside, I prefer the look of the Vette. It has a classic line to it. Inside, I like the Vette too. But, again, I am biased. I would recommend that you test drive both for yourself and see which one is the most comfortable for you, which impresses you, and which one you like. The key in that sentence is YOU. Good luck on your quest!!

Neil
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 PM
z06dailydriver
Racer

Just Curious, What did the guys on the Supra forum say?

I presume you are asking them the same question.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:20 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Originally Posted by z06dailydriver
Just Curious, What did the guys on the Supra forum say?

I presume you are asking them the same question.
actually i didnt get around to it....figured what u guys would say first
Old 07-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I have a few friends with very high HP Supras. It depends on what you want to do with the car.

My car only has 371 rwhp but can keep up with my buddies 430 rwhp BPU Supra b/c of gearing/aero/weight. The Z06 flat out perfroms like it has more power than it really does.

If you want to do road racing the Supra isn't the car but it's what the Z06 was made for.

If you want killer top end and easy power then the Supra is the car to go for, but you'll have a "one trick" pony.

The Z06 does everything exceptionally well. However you can't really go wrong here b/c no matter which one you get you'll have an amazing and beautiful car.

I'd go Z06.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Cobra R
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Both are awsome cars. However, when it comes to Supras, it can be hard to find one that is in good shape and dosnt have 70-80k miles on it, going for a some what resonable price.

The only other thing that has bothered me, I have seen a few of them smoke a lot on cold start up.

Which comes to another point, being a limited run in years and numbers, will the parts become or are they difficult to get with out spending a ton of money, even for a used part?
Old 07-25-2005, 10:24 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

My only concern with the Supra is being able to hook up with the 6 speed tranny...I want a car that can run the 1/4 fast.....
Old 07-25-2005, 10:27 PM
_Rudy_
Racer

Just my $0.02 but Id stay away from the Supra simply because its like the god of the ricer commuity around here. Those guys shy away from vettes (like i said, around here) but are surely to pester you to death about the Supra.

I like what was said above though about what YOU plan to do with the car. Supras appairently are good at going fast in a straight line but aren't too friendly in the turns, but Ive never driven one, so like I said, my $0.02.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:29 PM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I have a few friends with very high HP Supras. It depends on what you want to do with the car.

My car only has 371 rwhp but can keep up with my buddies 430 rwhp BPU Supra b/c of gearing/aero/weight. The Z06 flat out perfroms like it has more power than it really does.

If you want to do road racing the Supra isn't the car but it's what the Z06 was made for.

If you want killer top end and easy power then the Supra is the car to go for, but you'll have a "one trick" pony.

The Z06 does everything exceptionally well. However you can't really go wrong here b/c no matter which one you get you'll have an amazing and beautiful car.

I'd go Z06.
the reason u kept up with the supra was the supra is a much heavier car than a z06.....the z06 performs much better than the numbers because its much lighter than most rwd sports cars
Old 07-26-2005, 01:33 AM
f430killer
Instructor

It is easy to add horsepower but difficult to remove weight. With the Z weighing 300 lbs less than the supra the nod goes to the domestic.

But the JZ-GTE does have a nearly indestructible bottom end, and upgrading the motor to BPU is a few grand which would put you at around 400 rwhp.

The Supra does have more prestige in my opinion than a C5, and I hate to say it. Their numbers are dwindling, I see very few Supra's on the road these days.

If you want to track a car, get the Z for its more racecar like characteristics and lighter weight. If you want a straightline beast that will turn heads, get the Supra.

Someone said that by getting the supra youre joining the riceboys, well ask anyone in the real racing community and Supra's, R34's, RX7's, 300/350Z's are japanese in origin but they are not toyota corrola's with dual maxwell coffee can exhaust's. They are serious automotive offerings from the most technologically advanced people in the world.

Theres a distinct difference between the hip racing phenomenon that has swept the country occupied by young impressionable youth and die hard knowldgeable automotive enthusiasts. A bold distinct line separates the two.

This isnt my biased opinion, Ive only raced one import for the record. A 180 rwhp cammed 99 Suzuki Hayabusa that I had in the mid 9's. All my other platforms have been GM f bodies and now the Z.....
Old 07-26-2005, 06:39 AM
ace67
Racer

I had a singled Supra mkiv before i bought my Z06 2002, as many has stated to get easy power from the SUpra MKIV cant be beaten and its almost indestrucable all this have a price and it adds weight.
I hade almost everything done to my Supra PHR 2+ upgraded fuel system coilovers TRD big *** sway bars and R-compound tires and so on. The Z06 is very capable in all catagories its a very balanced car good brakes, cornering the power is ok not astonouhing but ok.
So if you want a rare car with very good top end choose Supra if you can find anyone that hasent been in a crash and that is in good shape in all other categories choose Z06. You can always shhot Andi at Supraforums an email he has been in 1 lap of america 2 times with a Supra and placed in the top 5 both times he sold he is Supra a few years back and bought a Z06 :-). Andi used to spend much time at the track so go figure .... The only thing that i dont like with the Vettes is the leafspring suspension but i have fixed mine with coilovers from Callaway, the seats in Z06 is also pure crap and have to be changed.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:48 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

It's your money, buy what you want.

Tom
Old 07-26-2005, 07:56 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06Tech
Both are awsome cars. However, when it comes to Supras, it can be hard to find one that is in good shape and dosnt have 70-80k miles on it, going for a some what resonable price.

The only other thing that has bothered me, I have seen a few of them smoke a lot on cold start up.

Which comes to another point, being a limited run in years and numbers, will the parts become or are they difficult to get with out spending a ton of money, even for a used part?
I sold my Supra to get my ZO6 and would do it again. But I do miss my old car from time to time. Wish I could afford both.

The smoke on starting problem is worn valve guides on the 2JZ-GTE. It's a common problem and a lot less serious than rings. Lots of guys just put up with it.

Concerning weight, the Supra TT is about 300 pounds heavier than the ZO6. That's a fair amount.

The car does handle well, though, especially with Konis and linear race springs (or more expensive coil overs). You'd be amazed. The Supra's brakes are great, too.

There. I've almost talked myself into buying another Supra. But I wouldn't give up my ZO6 for it.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:46 AM
rsxmanjoe
Racer

The question is what will be better in a straight line? As of now, Im just looking for a drag car that can go low 11s daily, and then 10s when I need to at the strip. Also reliability is important since the car will be driven daily.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Brian Laser S4

I work on alot of Supra's. Currently we are doing a twin to single turbo swap. Great engine but I would take a Z any day, I like to turn.

Brian
Old 07-26-2005, 09:43 PM
et1199
Safety Car

i chose the z over the supra. back in the day, i wanted a supra real bad. looked for several months and found one here in az ironically. it was perfect but couldnt get the money in time. saad sold it the next day. given the opportunity now it would be the z any day. i am however thinking of selling my truck in the near future and then i will be adding another car. was planning on another vette, but all this has me thinking i might just get the supra and have both.

Get notified of new replies

To The dreaded question - 02 Z06 or 93-98 Supra TT?

Old 07-26-2005, 09:55 PM
J Z06
Team Owner

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've seen a LOT of supras putting down big numbers around here. They can make AWESOME power! Z06's are nice too.

I am favoring the Z06 in this case though as the above mentioned Supras without excessive mileage, condition are hard to find without a high price.

Good luck with your choice though.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:25 AM
PowerMad
Pro

Even though I think the TT Supra's are totally awesome rides with plenty of headroom for boosting performance, I chose to go with the Corvette. Why? Since I was 10 (old enough to develop a fascination with cars), the Corvette was a car of Legend.

For me, the Z06 was the right choice. My wish for you is that your choice is the one that is right for you.

dave
Old 07-29-2005, 01:42 AM
mkiv1000
2nd Gear

I have a supra TT converted to a single T78. It makes 520 hp on pump gas at 18 psi which is what I run on the track and street. On the track its very fast on the straights passing most cars and on the turns I would say it does very well. I usually go to the track with my two z06 friends and we are all equal in driving skill. On the track we are pretty close in lap times with the supra having a slight edge in long straights. I usually end up passing them and gaining a bit of a lead. However, I've raced against more experienced z06 drivers and they are able to navigate the curves better thereby negating my straightline advantage. If I were more experienced I would probably be able to keep up with experienced drivers.

The disadvantage I see to the supra is the weight and turbo lag. I have much to big a turbo for the track, however if I learn to start giving gas in the turn and drift out of the turn I can probably overcome the lag but its a totally different driving style than the z06 or any non-turbo car. I can probably gain alot by getting a smaller turbo and less lag.

I feel the z06 is a better overall car for the track and would like to get one for that purpose however it would be hard to give up the looks I get in the street and straightline power. The supra is excellent in turns but the weight going into the turn is alot which makes it a good thing that the brakes are amazing on the supra.

I wish I could have both cars. I'm actually debating selling my supra for a z06 since I love road racing and my supra is getting up there in miles and age. One thing is that the supra will probably hold its value better than the z06 or any sports car baring an exotic.

Quick Reply: [Z06] The dreaded question - 02 Z06 or 93-98 Supra TT?