Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:18 PM
EILIG
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Z06 in the snow

Just curious, does anyone drive their Z06 year-round, including in the snow? To my knowledge, no all season or snow tires exist in the proper sizes for a Z06...

With it's low weight, high power, and wide tires, I'd have to guess a Z06 would be quite a handful in the snow....

Would be interested in hearing any stories if they are out there!
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 PM
RiceEater Z06
Instructor

dont bother... i got a cheap beater to run in the snow
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Big Red Machine
Burning Brakes

Default If you have no choice but to Travel in snow

Because I had to travel from Oregon to Missori in the month of April for a family funeral, by law, I had to carry some sort of snow/traction device over some of the passes I had to travel.
As you may have already found out, you cannot put regular snow chains on these Vettes because of inadequate fender well clearances, so as far as I know, according to the tire Co.(Les Schwab) that I bought these from (Spikes - Spider), these may be your only other alternative to drive on snow/ice.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/
Old 07-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by EILIG
Just curious, does anyone drive their Z06 year-round, including in the snow? To my knowledge, no all season or snow tires exist in the proper sizes for a Z06...

With it's low weight, high power, and wide tires, I'd have to guess a Z06 would be quite a handful in the snow....

Would be interested in hearing any stories if they are out there!
Denver has fairly heavy snow once or twice a year which stays on the roads two or three days. I tried getting out once this last winter with ice on the road. I won't try again.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys are puzzies. I drove a vette in snow (every winter) for 10+ years. It's not fun, but it's like anything else, if you respect it's power, you can get along with the road conditions. My wife drove it on ice and deep snow. While she didn't like it, she never had a situation where I had to bail her out or have a toe. Get a Hummer if you think that's better (by the way it's not, you get in more $#%^ with that!)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:03 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice sports cars are not driven in snow/ice/mud/salt ect. Only a drives in crummy weather. Get a beater for bad weather!!
Old 07-29-2005, 04:02 PM
jgmachine
Pro

Originally Posted by 80535
you guys are puzzies. I drove a vette in snow (every winter) for 10+ years. It's not fun, but it's like anything else, if you respect it's power, you can get along with the road conditions. My wife drove it on ice and deep snow. While she didn't like it, she never had a situation where I had to bail her out or have a toe. Get a Hummer if you think that's better (by the way it's not, you get in more $#%^ with that!)

The HUMMER is not better in the snow... are you on crack?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by 80535
You didn't drive a Z in snow for ten years. With my C4 I could manage bad weather including snow, but it was slow going. I live in an apartment complex and my parking place is 100 yds from the street. With the snow packed an inch thick I got half way in the Z before getting stuck. Some people helped push me back to my space. The problem when it has been snowing is that you never know when you'll hit a patch of ice. But if I was a tough guy like you I'm sure I wouldn't worry about that.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:44 PM
_Rudy_
Racer

Im probably about to sell my beater, so Ill just bum rides when It snows (i should say ice) here in Raleigh. I talked to a guy with a '98 coupe who said he did fine in snow, and I noticed he had GYs on... ill only risk it if i have to.(ie cant borrow or steal something).
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I tried driving my Cobra home in 8" of snow in highschool when we got let out early... that was scary. I called my mom early and begged her to sign me out early befor the snow started comming down hard. By the time they let us out it was horrible. I went accross the street to the Giant and got two bags of kitty litter and took my time. I made it home, but it sucked ***. No way am I trying to mess w/ my Z06 in the snow. I have an '87 Toyot beater truck that I bought for that kid of stuff!
Old 07-29-2005, 09:26 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles7Mitchell
You didn't drive a Z in snow for ten years. With my C4 I could manage bad weather including snow, but it was slow going. I live in an apartment complex and my parking place is 100 yds from the street. With the snow packed an inch thick I got half way in the Z before getting stuck. Some people helped push me back to my space. The problem when it has been snowing is that you never know when you'll hit a patch of ice. But if I was a tough guy like you I'm sure I wouldn't worry about that.
Ditto. My C4 could cope in a pinch if I happened to have new all season rubber. The Z06 is much worse. Too much torque, too little snow tread. I've been caught out only once, and it was almost undriveable. Mine is a daily driver too, but I just won't take it out if I now its going to snow.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Dug02Z0679L82
Advanced

All C5s are a hand full in snow. The Z06 is a hand full on wet streets. I've never driven in rain myself, so you write off my opinion if you want to.

Just cold temperatures, a Z06, and Goodyears Eagle Super Car tires is a hand full if you turn off traction controll and active handling. Fun, but a hand full. Unless it's an emergency, don't drive your Z in snow. Try the cold temperature thing and you'll see. Warm up the car, turn off the traction controll, get it up to 3000 rmp in first and then just nail the throttle. You don't need to touch the clutch. You'll be surprised when it lights up your tires in a heart beat. It's fun, but be carful!
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I got caught in the snow twice, it was not fun.
Old 07-30-2005, 10:09 AM
IceDigger
Racer

For the price of tires for the Z06 you could buy a cheap used winter car and then some.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:05 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I've driven the Z06 in snow...Not great but not that big of a deal. If I were going to do it often..? I'd buy a set of 97 to 99 wagon wheels...

Match the diameter with Blizzaks of the stock C5 tires...maybe I'd go narrower tires as well...and be done with it. (keep the diameter of the front to rear tires within 2% of stock C5 sizes and you'll be fine...

Probably all of 700 bucks to run the Z for quite a few years during the winter snow months..

Only concern would be if some dope in an out of control SUV slide into me...

Deep snow it ain't going because of the ride height...but otherwise not a problem.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:16 PM
jrh009
Instructor

Forget it. I live in snow country, Nov to April and when it snows you couldn't move a Z 2" on any kind of a grade. Plus in our cold winters you can get traction in snow because it is cold enough that the tires do not turn the snow into ice, as happens at temperatures close to the melting point.

Anyone who claims they drove for ten years in snow in a vette never drove while there was actually snow on the road. If so one episode would cure them for ever.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:33 PM
Charles7Mitchell
Pro

Originally Posted by jrh009
Forget it. I live in snow country, Nov to April and when it snows you couldn't move a Z 2" on any kind of a grade. Plus in our cold winters you can get traction in snow because it is cold enough that the tires do not turn the snow into ice, as happens at temperatures close to the melting point.

Anyone who claims they drove for ten years in snow in a vette never drove while there was actually snow on the road. If so one episode would cure them for ever.
Amen!

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 in the snow

Old 08-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Z06VET
Racer

Originally Posted by jrh009

Put it in the garage , disconnect the battery and throw the cover on it !

Dan
Old 08-02-2005, 01:36 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles7Mitchell
Denver has fairly heavy snow once or twice a year which stays on the roads two or three days. I tried getting out once this last winter with ice on the road. I won't try again.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:37 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06VET
Put it in the garage , disconnect the battery and throw the cover on it !

Dan

Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 in the snow