Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] thinking about upgrading my clutch any comments on options?

Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 AM
dragon84
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default thinking about upgrading my clutch any comments on options?

Clutch pedal is starting to stick to the floor during "spirited" driving. Car had 45k on it so I figure it might be time for a new clutch. I did a search but didn't really find anything other then guys upgrading to z06 clutches. Anyone upgrade to a aftermarket clutch? Any pros or cons? Did your GMPP cover any of it due to the sticky clutch syndrome? Thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:34 AM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are a lot of choices when it comes to aftermarket clutches. You will also get a lot of opinions. Check in the foced induction section, most over there are running aftermarket. There is also some info at:

www.jakelatham.com/c5/misc/faq.shtml

Personally I have used the Exedy twin and and about to install another one in my Z06. Some have complained about it, but I find it to be a good clutch and have not had any problems. Pedal pressure is slightly stiffer than stock, it holds good power and is OK for daily driving. the engagement point is short and takes some getting used to, but not a big deal. You might aslo check in to the new Aussie clutch, or even better is the RPS clutch offered by Carolina clutch. I hear really good things about this clutch. I believe Andy and ECS are using it some now. And Tom @ Carolina is great to work with.

Replacing the clutch will fix the sticky clutch problem. GM might cover the labor, if you have a good service department.
Good luck
Good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
dragon84
Drifting

Thanks bro. I called my dealer and he is checking with the GMPP people. He has squared me away in the past so he said he would see what he could do about the labor cost.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:47 AM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has warrantied a clutch for me that chattered. They warrantied my buddy's because the pedal stuck to the floor. So, there is hope.

If you decide to go aftermarket the only clutch I know of so far with the fewest issues is the Textrailia clutch.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:52 AM
dragon84
Drifting

Hmm, the service guy said he hadn't heard of GMPP replacing clutches free but he would ask. Would you mind telling me where you and your buddy got yours done so I could prove to him that they did it? If it would cause a problem for you then don't worry about it. The GA dealers are a little shady sometimes lol. Thanks.

I looked at the textrailia website but couldn't get a price. Do you know how much they run? Did you replace or resurface your flywheel?

Originally Posted by t56gen3
GM has warrantied a clutch for me that chattered. They warrantied my buddy's because the pedal stuck to the floor. So, there is hope.

If you decide to go aftermarket the only clutch I know of so far with the fewest issues is the Textrailia clutch.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dragon84
Hmm, the service guy said he hadn't heard of GMPP replacing clutches free but he would ask. Would you mind telling me where you and your buddy got yours done so I could prove to him that they did it? If it would cause a problem for you then don't worry about it. The GA dealers are a little shady sometimes lol. Thanks.

I looked at the textrailia website but couldn't get a price. Do you know how much they run? Did you replace or resurface your flywheel?
I can't speak for GMPP specifically, but my friend's and mine were replaced under 3/36 factory warranty. I wouldn't think it would be any different. I think the dealer decides on what is warranty and what isn't, and results will vary from dealer to dealer. I've got a good dealer for service that really tries to resolve issues; maybe I'm lucky. Since the clutch pedal sticking is a known issue, I would think you'd have ground to battle with them. I'd get a call into GM customer service on that and have them assist with the battle.

I believe the Textrailia clutch is around $900. I think Andy at A&A is a dealer for them, you might check with him. I know of a couple people that have those and love them. You might check with kumar75150 and get his feedback, as he recently installed one.

I know they resurfaced the flywheel on my car when they replaced the clutch, but I'm still running the stock Z06 clutch (#2.) I'm having the pedal-stick issue as well, but I'm going to try and pull the spring from the pedal first to see what happens.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:31 AM
dragon84
Drifting

have you heard any thing good or bad about the spec 3 clutch that WCC carries?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM
t56gen3
Burning Brakes

I've known people with issues with just about everything clutch-related with aftermarkets in both F-bodies and Vettes. If you do a search here you'll find all kinds of stories of "extremely happy" and "screaming mad." I know Kumar has tried a couple different clutches, he would be a valuable resource. I've had friends with Spec clutches not completely disengaging during shifts as well as having a lot of chatter. I've read lots of complaints about the Exedy here as well. Based on what I know and have experienced, the Textrailia clutch seems to be the best thing out at the moment. I know Kumar loves his, and when I go aftermarket it's what I will be using. Slightly more pedal pressure than stock, and I have yet to hear of any issues like the other clutches.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't plan to make a bunch of passes at the drag strip, then you'll probably be satisfied with most brands that folks will recommend.

But if you do plan to spend time at the track, you will do yourself a favor by getting a Cartek clutch. That one has stood the test of time through tens of thousands of passes on cars with 350-600 rwhp.

Any clutch is a consumable part if the car is raced. But a Cartek clutch successfully resists the premature failure that seems to plague most brands.

Opinions vary....That's mine. If I were to go to an aftermarket clutch, it would be a Cartek.

Ranger
Old 08-03-2005, 11:41 AM
dragon84
Drifting

ok thanks guys.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

I have heard good things about the RPS Single disc clutch that ECS runs in their cars and customer cars and am leaning towards this option!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:05 PM
dragon84
Drifting

what does that setup cost?

Originally Posted by MTI 427 Roadster
I have heard good things about the RPS Single disc clutch that ECS runs in their cars and customer cars and am leaning towards this option!
Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

We have had the following clutches...

Stock GM Z06
McLeod Dual Disc (died after 40 passes)
Exedy Twin Disc (died after 4 passes)
Textralia Oz700

By far the best of the bunch has been the Textrlia clutch. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 PM
dragon84
Drifting

ok, so what does that cost?

Originally Posted by J-Rod
We have had the following clutches...

Stock GM Z06
McLeod Dual Disc (died after 40 passes)
Exedy Twin Disc (died after 4 passes)
Textralia Oz700

By far the best of the bunch has been the Textrlia clutch. I highly recommend it.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I need to replace my clutch, I will be changing to a light weight flywheel too, for faster shifting. The stock flywheel is just too heavy, rpm's take way too long to drop between gears.

Chuck
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

A&A and ECS seel them for around $980 which includes flywheel, pressure plate, disc, new slave and bearing, ARP bolt kit and installation tool.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:09 PM
dragon84
Drifting

ECS? East Coast Supercharging in NJ?

Originally Posted by J-Rod
A&A and ECS seel them for around $980 which includes flywheel, pressure plate, disc, new slave and bearing, ARP bolt kit and installation tool.

Get notified of new replies

To thinking about upgrading my clutch any comments on options?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
J-Rod
Melting Slicks

Yup, both they and A&A are good shops with very helpful folks...
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM
dragon84
Drifting

Nice ECS is about 30 min from where I grew up.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:33 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Just an FYI...don't waste your money. Your problem is not with the clutch, but the master cylinder. You'll have the same problem if you install a stage III super duper drag whatever. It is a common problem for the clutch pedal to stick. You want the dealer to replace the clutch master cylinder under warranty.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] thinking about upgrading my clutch any comments on options?