Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Bought 04 Z06, wrong size tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:22 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Tell them to mount the 275's on the front rims and get 295's for the back and save the 245's for another customer.

Never mind. I forgot the rears were 18's.
Old 10-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Znod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sskeet
Just bought an 04 Z06 from a Chevy dealership and they just informed me that they put brand new Goodyear F1's all around as I could see. I did not closely inspect them until I bought the car though.

Turns out, the fronts are 245 and backs are 275.

I know they are supposed to be 275, 295. It even says it in the door panel: 275 front, 295 rear.

I am going to bitch about it as soon as I get the time to go down there. Anyone think they will put the right tires on it? The ones on the car have only about 200 miles on them. I am trying to think of things to say. One thing I thought was, "you shouldnt have sold me the car with the wrong size tires, this is a safety issue".

I would be very polite, but firm--in the sense that I expect them to put the proper tires on. I would tell them that I am going to complain to everyone possible if they do not comply as the implication is that they would not put improperly sized tires on a car (they can use the tires they put on on someone else's car when appropriate). I would be prepared to complain at least to the BBB, all TV stations that deal with such complaints and like to take credit for saving those who complain money, the state Attorney general, and GM/Chevrolet.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:37 PM
FlZ06
Advanced

I would push this with the dealer as a safety issue. The dealer could be stuck with some liability in the event of an accident.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Mikey Z
Advanced

Fronts are 265 not 275. Recheck what your door says. Mine says 265 40 17 and im sure all zo6;s are the sameand the 275 is a taller tire.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ranger
Wrong size tires on a car indicate that the dealer made an error. It mounted Corvette size tires; but should have mounted Corvette Z06 tires. The tires he now has are undersized for the Z06 and present a safety issue.

Most dealers care about their reputation and have a return policy. A tire size mounting error is a material safety complaint to file with the Better Business Bureau. The dealer knows that.
I disagree there is much of a safety issue here. Low riders have been putting smaller tires on bigger rims for years without issues. Now wheel/tire manufactures specifically design them this way.

I really don't think many businesses today care about Better Business Bureau complaints. I've used the BBB in the past and discovered because they are a private organization with no enforcement authority many companies could care less. Also the BBB's complaint department is not updated regularly, so future customers might not see past customer issues.

Hopefully the dealership is concerned about customer satisfaction they will correct the problem. But most used car sales are an "as is" deal.

265/295 are the correct Z06 tire sizes.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:47 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shylor
I disagree there is much of a safety issue here. Low riders have been putting smaller tires on bigger rims for years without issues. Now wheel/tire manufactures specifically design them this way.

I really don't think many businesses today care about Better Business Bureau complaints. I've used the BBB in the past and discovered because they are a private organization with no enforcement authority many companies could care less. Also the BBB's complaint department is not updated regularly, so future customers might not see past customer issues.

(1) Chevy markets the Z06 as the Corvette for the extreme enthusiast and highlighted its larger tires in its press releases. It's pretty simple to cast this as a safety issue if the tires are mistakenly swapped for some in smaller sizes.

(2) Please recall the selling Chevy dealer exclaimed they had put new tires on the car without disclosing the tires are smaller size than Chevy's own specification for the Z06.

(3) The car in question is a 2004 Z06, Chevy's flagship car that's still under warranty. A dealer carelessly using non-standard parts in preparing such a car for resale is likely in violation of Chevy's repair policies. Using the correct parts for the model is a Chevy policy. What if they replaced the rear and used a 2.73 non-Z06 parts, or replaced the tranny using an M6 vice M12. Installing non-spec tires is an error that needs correction.

(4) My experience with the Better Business Bureau is different from yours. Via the internet, I filed a BBB complaint against a Chevy dealer in Maryland. A few days later, a lawyer from Chevy called me to assure me that Chevy was in the process of instructing the dealer to fix the problem, which the dealer subsequently did. Turned out that GM is connected electronically to the BBB complaint system in Maryland enabling them to respond to complaints quickly. Of course, the outcome of a complaint will always depend on the fact of the case.

In short, I thinks sskeet is very likely to get his tire situation resolved by escalating the problem within the dealership, if necessary, to the general manager. I'd be surprised if a BBB complain is needed. But if it is, I'd recommend filing one. Reputable businesses do not like to have unresolved complaints on file.

Opinions vary.

Ranger
Old 10-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Shylor
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Ranger
Please recall the selling Chevy dealer exclaimed they had put new tires on the car without disclosing the tires are smaller size than Chevy's own specification for the Z06.
With this in mind he may be able to get a resolution. But not claiming a safety issue.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:02 PM
MikeNMaxZO6
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Demand the new tires of a full refund. They put stock C5 sizes on.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:48 PM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

Just bought an 04 Z06 from a Chevy dealership and they just informed me that they put brand new Goodyear F1's all around as I could see. I did not closely inspect them until I bought the car though.

Turns out, the fronts are 245 and backs are 275.

I know they are supposed to be 275, 295. It even says it in the door panel: 275 front, 295 rear.

I am going to bitch about it as soon as I get the time to go down there. Anyone think they will put the right tires on it? The ones on the car have only about 200 miles on them. I am trying to think of things to say. One thing I thought was, "you shouldnt have sold me the car with the wrong size tires, this is a safety issue".

The size tires you have would not even fit correctly on the Z06 wheels. Are you sure you even Z06 wheels if you already have the incorrect size tires?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:39 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

I would be down at the dealership first thing tomorrow.

Jim
Old 10-31-2005, 12:03 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think low riders take a turn faster than 30mph and they are not driving a high performance car like a Z06. Low riders have no problems sticking their wheels a foot outside their wheel wells until they snap a spindle or do other damage. They really know what they are doing, right.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:09 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Ranger and Skeet hit it right on the head, safety issue no doubt, with all of the recent media crap about bad tires (firestone/ford explorer etc...) I dont think anyone will be taking a chance, I would expect the dealer to step up and replace them, they can keep the tires they take off for another vette, not like its gonna put them out much.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:46 AM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

So What did the dealer do?
Old 10-31-2005, 11:41 AM
z0quick
Racer

Originally Posted by bobby777
So What did the dealer do?
Good point MVR, they have even more incentive than just safety because they can just throw them on a C5.

The dealer is actually still without power (which means they are closed), as about 30-40% of us still are here down in South FL after hurricane Wilma.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:44 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet
I don't think low riders take a turn faster than 30mph and they are not driving a high performance car like a Z06. Low riders have no problems sticking their wheels a foot outside their wheel wells until they snap a spindle or do other damage. They really know what they are doing, right.
Biggest joke on the road, Lookin like a fool, with the dinky rims.
ruin the car. I Laugh hard when I see them.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:15 AM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

I'm getting new tires next week. I'm going to go with the Nitto 555R's.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:49 AM
ZaydeZ06
Pro

Originally Posted by FlZ06
I would push this with the dealer as a safety issue. The dealer could be stuck with some liability in the event of an accident.
This will get their attention
Wrong size tires

Get notified of new replies

To Bought 04 Z06, wrong size tires

Old 11-06-2005, 10:46 PM
z0quick
Racer

No worries, they finally re-opened after about 2 weeks of no power due to hurricane Wilma. I went in there on Saturday and the manager said, well what size does it say on the door?

And I said 265,295

"And he said, oh well then we need to put a new set on there! I will use the ones you have on a regular C5, just bring it in Monday and we will take care of it."

No hassles at all

BTW dealership is Lou Bachrodt, Pompano Beach FL
good guys over there..
Old 11-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

No worries, they finally re-opened after about 2 weeks of no power due to hurricane Wilma. I went in there on Saturday and the manager said, well what size does it say on the door?

And I said 265,295

"And he said, oh well then we need to put a new set on there! I will use the ones you have on a regular C5, just bring it in Monday and we will take care of it."

No hassles at all

BTW dealership is Lou Bachrodt, Pompano Beach FL
good guys over there..
Great news. Sounds like a quality dealer!!
Old 11-07-2005, 04:30 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

Thats great news. Congrats on the no hassle

Quick Reply: [Z06] Bought 04 Z06, wrong size tires