Sponsored by:

[Z06] Any advantages to changing diff oil, spirited driving, spirited driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:55 AM
richzo6
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any advantages to changing diff oil, spirited driving, spirited driving

I have a z16, I auto cross, I drag race, I’m getting ready to put the mobile 1 atf synthetic in my tranny, while I’m there, are there Any advantages to changing diff oil, thinking of red line 7590, with hypoid modifiers, is there a need for additional GM diff additives?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just changed the tranny and diff oils in my '03 Z06. I put Red Line ATF in the trans. and Red Line 75W90 in the differential. The Red Line 75W90 has the limited slip modifiers in it already, so you don't need to add any of the GM stuff.

Be careful when buying the Red Line gear oil. They also make an oil marked 75W90NS. This is for manual transmissions only (NOT for C5's -- good for other syncho transmissions, I use it in all my old Jags and my Ferrari). You do NOT want 75W90NS for the differential. You must be sure you have the 75W90, and the container will say "GL5+ Hypoid gear oil". That's what you want.

If you haven't changed the differential fluid in a while, do it. My car is an '03 with 17K miles on it, and I was surprised how dirty the fluid was. It may not make the car run better, but why not run clean oil? It's a 5 min. job if you're under there anyway, and good insurance.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I just changed the tranny and diff oils in my '03 Z06. I put Red Line ATF in the trans. and Red Line 75W90 in the differential. The Red Line 75W90 has the limited slip modifiers in it already, so you don't need to add any of the GM stuff.

Be careful when buying the Red Line gear oil. They also make an oil marked 75W90NS. This is for manual transmissions only (NOT for C5's -- good for other syncho transmissions, I use it in all my old Jags and my Ferrari). You do NOT want 75W90NS for the differential. You must be sure you have the 75W90, and the container will say "GL5+ Hypoid gear oil". That's what you want.

If you haven't changed the differential fluid in a while, do it. My car is an '03 with 17K miles on it, and I was surprised how dirty the fluid was. It may not make the car run better, but why not run clean oil? It's a 5 min. job if you're under there anyway, and good insurance.
About to change my gears, so I have the Diff fluid, but I figure I might as well change the Tranny fluid also while I'm at it. How much ATF is needed?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ You'll want 4 quarts for the trans (takes 3.2 or so) and 2 quarts for the diff (takes 1.6).

The GM dif fluid is synthetic from the factory so I doube there's a true improvement in protection etc... however when it came time for me to change it I went with Amsoil severe-duty gear oil. I run Amsoil in the whole car.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:44 AM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
^ You'll want 4 quarts for the trans (takes 3.2 or so) and 2 quarts for the diff (takes 1.6).
Thx
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tlaselva
About to change my gears, so I have the Diff fluid, but I figure I might as well change the Tranny fluid also while I'm at it. How much ATF is needed?
Just a comment on you gear swap. Are you change diff gears? If so it is recommended that you do not use synthetic diff fluid for the gear break in period. Use plain old Valvoline 75W-90 with the GM additive package. Do the gear break in recommended by the vendor. Then dump the Valvoline after 500-1000 miles and go to synthetic. That was the recommended approach I got from Ikerds when I swapped ring/pinion in my C4. I followed their break-in procedure to the letter and never had gear whine or problems.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by richzo6
I have a z16, I auto cross, I drag race, I’m getting ready to put the mobile 1 atf synthetic in my tranny, while I’m there, are there Any advantages to changing diff oil, thinking of red line 7590, with hypoid modifiers, is there a need for additional GM diff additives?
On our cars the diff gets really hot due to internal friction, being mated to the tranny, lack of cooling airflow, and sitting nestled between the mufflers. Given that, I feel the diff fluid takes a beating, particularly on the track. I change my tranny and diff fluid often (at about every 4th track weekend) using AMSOIL ATF and AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90.

As mentioned above, the normal Redline 75w90 comes with friction modifiers in it, so I wouldn't add any unless you experience differential chatter, then add a bottle. The AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w90 also comes with the friction modifier in it and as my diff doesn't chatter, I've never added a bottle of the modifier.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-11-2006, 09:51 PM
Beaver06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

duh...

Get notified of new replies

To Any advantages to changing diff oil, spirited driving, spirited driving

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any advantages to changing diff oil, spirited driving, spirited driving