Sponsored by:

[Z06] MTI intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:50 AM
ls1mtz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI intake

http://www.motorsporttech.com/c5_air_intake01.asp Why have I never heard anything about this intake? It looks good, about the same as the callaway honker but w/ a scoop. Anyone have it or heard of it? Going to be getting a cai soon and just trying to narrow down mu choices.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Jay's Z
Racer

Hi ls1mtz,

I have not read much about it. I have seen it on the motor sport tech web site but I've not been able to find any reports or write-up's about the system.

I like the look of it in the photos...but then again, I like the look of the Vararam in photos as well.

My first though when I saw the system was remembering all the debris I cleaned out from the top of my radiator and wondering how much of that crap would be scooped into the intake.

I worry about intake debris even with the Honker I'm considering. My perception is the scoop setup on the MTI unit would catch more junk.

Just kicking in my 2 Abe's worth.

-Jay
Old 04-20-2006, 10:53 AM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the MTI intake last week and put it on my car on Tuesday. It replaces the whole radiator shroud and a couple of the little tab things sucked, but other than that install was easy. Mine arrived in a big 'ole box completely assembled, I just had to take the stock stuff out and put the new stuff in. Having only driven it for a few days, my impressions are very good. Maybe I'm crazy but I swear my car started slightly faster. It definetly seems to have helped the car pick up some power according to the butt dyno. I really like it and would definetly recomend it. I do wish somebody with a dyno would do a write up on it, I never see it in the intake comparisons.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay's Z
...My first though when I saw the system was remembering all the debris I cleaned out from the top of my radiator and wondering how much of that crap would be scooped into the intake...

...all of it but that won't be the problem... WATER - that will be the problem.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I concur. It's a "bottom feeder" and I would be very concerned about standing or splashed water.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Z71456
Advanced

I just bought the MTI Intake kit two days ago so it should be arriving today. I will post my $.02 after install and test drive. Went with this one over the various others because of ease of installation (So I've read and have been told). I'm in So Cal so the "water" issue isn't an issue for me. Plus, I won't be driving it in the rain anyways. I'll post once it's installed. Hopefully tonight.

-Chris
Old 04-20-2006, 01:37 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not only that but looking at the size of the scoop in the picture. I would also be concerned as to how much air is being blocked from the radiator. You can only steal so much air in that bottom feeder before you take it away from the cooling system. that seems to be the biggest advantage of the Vararam is it uses the factory air vents behind the screens. Shame the quality sucks so bad.

I'll stick with my cut and modified Z06 air cover with home made tubes routed to it from the stock screen location.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Jay's Z
Racer

vms4evr,

Do you some pics of your install? It sounds interesting.

Thanks!

-Jay
Old 04-20-2006, 09:33 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

vms4evr,

Do you some pics of your install? It sounds interesting.

Thanks!

-Jay
Sorry but my digital camera is shot. Basically I took an old Z06 cover and opened it up. I cut the oblong opening wider and higher up. Not lower. Then on the sides I cut round holes. Took some 3" flex aluminum hose I got at HD. Shaped, bent, and squeezed them down each side of the radiator. There is an opening that goes down to where the screens are. It's nothing fancy but on the track or at highway speeds there is plenty of air getting directed up into the filter element. That way I cut nothing on my car other than the extra air box cover.

Not as fancy looking as a Varam but a cheap imitation that cost $5 in aluminum tube and $45 for a 2nd Z06 air box cover. It's cleaner than the zip tie methd because the box still gets held in place by the cover and the straps still function to hold the cover and air filter in place. I tried the zip tie method and didn't like the air box assembly loose.

Since I have an oil cooler installed anything that sticks down in front of the radiator is just not going to work for me. I need the oil cooler more than I need the extra air.

Graham
Old 04-21-2006, 02:09 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

The MTI intake is not at all similar to the Honker. If anything it's more like the Vortex with a flat air filter. The Honker does not use a scoop which could force water in. Since at speed the area is a high pressure area, a scoop is not needed. The Honker has a sort of curve built into its housing which would also help in not forcing water in. The MTI unit looks like the MAF is in the stock location and still uses an air bridge. The Honker integrates the air bridge into one smooth one-piece unit with the MAF relocated to just in front of the throttle body, as GM has done on the C6. The fit and quality is like OEM. A satisfied Honker owner.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:16 AM
Jay's Z
Racer

Sorry but my digital camera is shot. Basically I took an old Z06 cover and opened it up. I cut the oblong opening wider and higher up. Not lower. Then on the sides I cut round holes. Took some 3" flex aluminum hose I got at HD. Shaped, bent, and squeezed them down each side of the radiator. There is an opening that goes down to where the screens are. It's nothing fancy but on the track or at highway speeds there is plenty of air getting directed up into the filter element. That way I cut nothing on my car other than the extra air box cover.

Not as fancy looking as a Varam but a cheap imitation that cost $5 in aluminum tube and $45 for a 2nd Z06 air box cover. It's cleaner than the zip tie methd because the box still gets held in place by the cover and the straps still function to hold the cover and air filter in place. I tried the zip tie method and didn't like the air box assembly loose.

Since I have an oil cooler installed anything that sticks down in front of the radiator is just not going to work for me. I need the oil cooler more than I need the extra air.

Graham
That does sound very interesting. I have looked at the stock filter cover and thought about mod-ing the opening to essentially use it to hold the filter in place ommitting the zip ties. The home-grown duct work is not a bad idea either.

striper: The OEM-like appearance of the Honker combined with the MAF relocation are reasons why I like the unit. Apparently Callaway is damn proud of the unit and it shows in the product pricing.

-Jay
Old 04-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Apparently Callaway is damn proud of the unit and it shows in the product pricing.

-Jay
True but when you look at the cost of an intake system and an air birdge you're right there in cost. The Honker knocks out both. FWIW I have a vortex and have had it for almost 3 years. I love it and don't plan on changing. The filter is easy to monitor and clean.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 AM
Jay's Z
Racer

I agree Corba4B.

I have looked at Rammer installs and I like them.

-Jay
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

That does sound very interesting. I have looked at the stock filter cover and thought about mod-ing the opening to essentially use it to hold the filter in place ommitting the zip ties. The home-grown duct work is not a bad idea either.
-Jay
I'm borrowing a digital camera this weekend. So I should be able to get some pics of my handy work along with pics of my oil cooler install that some folks need to see. I'll update when I have something.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:16 PM
DPG
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

i'd like to know if there are gonna be any cooling issues with this intake. Looks like a great idea with the scoop, but its covering up almost the whole radiator. If cooling is an issue or not, please let us know
Old 04-21-2006, 05:44 PM
Jay's Z
Racer

Excellent! I'll look for the photos!

-Jay
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM
GNX Guy
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It allows pleanty of air to make me 556 RWHP normally aspirated, so, I go out on a limb and say if flows enough for just about any NA motor.

Joe

Get notified of new replies

To MTI intake

Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
zo6vetteman2003
Drifting

I don't think it will be sucking in water unless you are trying to drive through water a foot deep. I have a Vararam widemouth that is a bottom feeder and never have injested any water. I would think this intake will be fine. Here is a pic of mine.
Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Jay's Z
Racer

Very nice zo6vetteman2003.

I've been collecting all of the pieces/parts I'll need for my exhaust and intake modding weekend...except for the CAI.

I've managed to confuse myself about which one to purchase. There are aspects of them all that I like...even the Vararam! I'm not averse to cutting a hole in my fan shroud so the Honker, Rammer, or MTI look great to me.

I like the near-factory look of the Honker and I'd have one now if I wasn't so put off by the pricing....kind of like that guy in the TV commercial who keeps staring at the $8 jar of cashews in his hotel room. He knows they're overpriced but he wants them anyway.

We know how that story ends...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I like the near-factory look of the Honker and I'd have one now if I wasn't so put off by the pricing....kind of like that guy in the TV commercial who keeps staring at the $8 jar of cashews in his hotel room. He knows they're overpriced but he wants them anyway.

We know how that story ends...
I agree with you on that. It's pricey, but you know you want it, and somehow will talk yourself into it because it's the right thing to do

I got some pics last night but my wife didn't get the USB cable with the camera. She's got the camera and will download the pics today or tomorrow. So I'll post them Tue/Wed. They won't look pretty after you've seen some of these aftermarket ones.

Quick Reply: [Z06] MTI intake