Sponsored by:

Incompetency Rules the Day

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Incompetency Rules the Day

OK, made an appointment last week to grudgingly have the Dealer work on my Z06 to fix a leaky rear diff. I specifically tell them, don't wash it, don't do ANY recalls, specifically the CLB since I already have an aftermarket bypass.

I'm first in-line this morning as the Service department opens it's doors at 7:30. I remind the service tech, "remember, just fix the diff leak, nothing else". "OK, we'll have it back for you today, no problem". No word from the guy all day, so I call at about 5pm, leave a message, and he calls me back a little later.

"Well, hello there Mr. Reed". I hate to tell you that we haven't been able to do any work on the diff leak since it's been sitting over at tech waiting for our electrical guy to do the CLB recall work". My stomach turns, but somehow I'm not surprised. "Uh, don't you remember that I specifically told you guys not to do that work?!" "Oh gosh, we're so sorry! I'll run over to the car right now and leave a note telling them not to do that work!!" Apologies ad infinitum, but alas incompetency seems to rule the day with these guys.

I only took the car in because it's still under warranty. My bad I guess. Sure hope they fix the leak...
Old 06-22-2006, 12:43 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm not surprised. You won't believe the bogus crap they tried to tell me needed to be done to my 96' Z71 1/2 ton. Stupid dealers.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:51 AM
Rogue Wave
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-16-'17

Good luck. Maybe, just maybe, if you are lucky, they will eventually get around to fixin the diff as you requested.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:04 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

The really sad part is that it's amazing what can be done when an organization is run correctly. To wit: I took my 4Runner to the Toyota dealer 2 weeks ago to have the following work done - new timing belt, new water pump, flush the brake fluid, replace a TPS, clean the injectors, clean out the TB, change all diff fluids, flush and change the trans fluid, replace a busted CV boot, etc., etc. I got 2 phone calls, one at 2 pm as promised to update the vehicle's status, and another at 4pm telling me everything was done, old parts were bagged and in the car and that I could pick it up until 7:30 PM!!

It's really hit or miss when it comes to any service organization and how they are run. It's really inexcusable when it's poorly operated, but a well-run service department is worth more than all the fancy advertising in the world.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:27 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

My policy is to BE THERE if I must have work done on my car. I don't care if I have to take a day off, I"ll be present when anybody works on my Vette. That way they do exactly what I want them to do and nothing more.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:40 AM
4GTABODT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Mississauga, Ontario Corvettes were built to be driven...not trailered
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Red Racer
My policy is to BE THERE if I must have work done on my car. I don't care if I have to take a day off, I"ll be present when anybody works on my Vette. That way they do exactly what I want them to do and nothing more.
I tend to do the same thing but technically speaking, we shouldn't have to do that. You normally don't get that kind of thing at Lexus, Mercedes or Inifiniti but then again they have a whole different culture there. having said that, i'm sure there are some horror stories there too.

DVS, I hope at least they fix the diff right
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 AM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

So are we taking bets that the CLB recall will be done?

Good luck, hope the idiots get it right.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:04 AM
C5naples
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I leave post-it notes reminders stuck to the console or on the speedometer.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:58 AM
VinnieR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Austin, Texas 2005 National Champs in Football and Baseball.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer experience has been positive everytime. Fixed the differential leaking problem (and cleaned up all the mess underneath the chassis from the oil), fixed the column lock (removal of locking plate and electrical harness bypass), replaced a tire pressure sensor, and a couple of other things. Never charged me a cent. Got the car back at the time they said I would. Work was done correctly, as least so far. And never washed it as I requested.

I know that not every dealer is good. But, my experience with independent shops is that many of them, too, don't have a clue what they're doing. Some of the guys in my local club take their cars to a local Corvette specialty house but complain about his work all the time. They usually say the guy ain't all that good but they don't trust the dealer. I don't get it.

Anyone in Central Texas work might want to check out Capitol Chevy in South Austin.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:13 AM
Frozenfire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5naples
Hospitals have been doing that for years. They write and draw pictures on the patient's body to make sure they perform the correct surgery on the correct body part. I have to say I've had good luck with my local Chevy dealer.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:39 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VinnieR
My dealer experience has been positive everytime. Fixed the differential leaking problem (and cleaned up all the mess underneath the chassis from the oil), fixed the column lock (removal of locking plate and electrical harness bypass), replaced a tire pressure sensor, and a couple of other things. Never charged me a cent. Got the car back at the time they said I would. Work was done correctly, as least so far. And never washed it as I requested.

I know that not every dealer is good. But, my experience with independent shops is that many of them, too, don't have a clue what they're doing. Some of the guys in my local club take their cars to a local Corvette specialty house but complain about his work all the time. They usually say the guy ain't all that good but they don't trust the dealer. I don't get it.

Anyone in Central Texas work might want to check out Capitol Chevy in South Austin.
Here's another "positive" for Capital Chevy

When they fixed my rear diff leak, I did have to have a "discussion" about not touching the column lock. I did not want my dash touched since I had already installed a CLB. They insisted that they needed to do the work because it was a safety issue. We ended up agreeing that they would do the latest PCM upgrade, but not touch the dash. I had read on here where on dealer had removed a CLB, and then tried to charge the person for removing it

I've had it in three times for warranty work, and all positive overall

Old 06-22-2006, 08:42 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by Frozenfire
Hospitals have been doing that for years. They write and draw pictures on the patient's body to make sure they perform the correct surgery on the correct body part. I have to say I've had good luck with my local Chevy dealer.
When i went in for my second hand surgery. They handed Me a marker and told me to write X's on my non-operated on hand.

Good luck dealing with the Stealership!

Chris

Last edited by Stangkiller; 06-22-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:43 AM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that we shouldn't have to babysit the professionals that are operating on our cars. I learned early 2005 what can happen at a dealer. Took the car in for warranty work on the power accessories on the passenger door.

They decided that they needed to drive the car (before even hooking it up to the computer to diagnose the problem). Their scientific method of diagnosing what they called a possible intermittent wiring problem was to drive it while listening to the radio to see if the speakers on the passenger side cut in and out.

Lets just say I had to pay to replace the engine (had someone else do the work) and then hire an attorney. Can't go into much more detail right now until the lawsuit runs its course.

So don't be surprised if they do the work that they weren't supposed to just because they felt like it. And always check the mileage on the car when you drop it off...

Good luck!
Old 06-22-2006, 08:44 AM
j99vette
Racer

the dealership makes money from doing the cl repair. the car owner doesnt get charged but the shop still gets paid. it is a scam how no matter what you take it there for they always do what they want with it. the most recent recall requires removing the steering column and possibly reprogramming the pcm so if youve had the car tuned it would be erased. i dont understand it either i just dont take my car to them anymore.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:07 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by C5naples
That's a good idea.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Johnny_B_Good
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

It's in the dealers best interest to do the CLB recall as well as any other recall, since it's billable directly to GM. Good luck with the leaky butt fix.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope they get it fixed right for you. Too bad you have to keep on them so much to get it done the way you want it.

Get notified of new replies

To Incompetency Rules the Day

Old 06-22-2006, 05:07 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
When i went in for my second hand surgery. They handed Me a marker and told me to write X's on my non-operated on hand.

Good luck dealing with the Stealership!

Chris
I had knee surgery done a few years ago. The doctor was a friend of mine. While prepping for surgery he tells me to mark an X on the knee that was to have the surgery (left), just so there are no mistakes. I thought it was pretty funny but I did it anyway. When I woke up I looked down and saw a huge bandage on the wrong knee (right), my other knee was covered with a blanket... I freaked. Still groggy, I started yelling at the nurse just as my doctor/friend came in the recovery room. He started laughing then pulled the blanket off my other knee showing another bandage...he then pulled off the fake bandage from my good knee. I am still planning my revenge...
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Craig Wagner
Pro

I don't understand why customer-facing organizations can't learn two simple lessons:

1. Listen to the customer. When I have a problem with something (computer, cable, phone, car, whatever...) I detail as much info as I can when I ask for assistance. Invariably they return some cookie-cutter diagnosis instructions, which tell me to do all the things I already told them I did.

2. Set realistic expectations and stick to them. If you say the car will be done at noon, make sure it's done at noon. If you know you won't get to it until 3:00pm, don't say noon. And if you promise to call the customer, call them.

It's sad that we've gotten used to such shoddy service that when a company follows the two simple rules above we wet ourselves with joy.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:41 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Hmmmm,Sounds like Weseloh and Son's....

Quick Reply: Incompetency Rules the Day