Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Hercdriver
CF Senior Member

Default Radar detector in Germany?

Hey all, I have a question. Do you all think it is worth having a radar detector overseas? If I do take it with me, do I have to get anything upgraded? I have a Valentine One. Thanks in advance!
Hercdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
LT4 Rocker

Default Radar Detector

Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com

(I know, should be Z06 Rocker but the user name didn't upgrade with the car!)
LT4 Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM   #3
Hercdriver
CF Senior Member

Thank you so much for the info! Do you suggest that I sell or trade my V1 for something on the forum? Does anyone in Germany that you know of have High Flow Cats? Are they allowed there? Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Ranger
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Might want to shoot an email to Valentine for their insights on the target environment in Europe. They sell internationally and have a loyal following there too.

Ranger
'02 Z06 350 passes
Bone Stock Stock Tires……11.81 117.26 1.78
w/ CAI & DRs………...........11.52 120.21 1.64 video
My PRs Burnout Launch Shifting Clutch Care
Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
chiefDave
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05-'06
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 Rocker
Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com
Hey great localtion! I have been to the castle many times and loved the town. I was in Manhiem from 98 to 2001. This was before my Vette but wow I could not imagine a vette on the autobahn I did see my first C5 (FRC) in the parking lot of the PX there and man I fell in love!!! Great post!
Dave
Stinger, LG Pro LT, Aussie w/ remote, DTE brace, side cover and shafts, Meziere, ASP, LPE CnC 243s milled .05, TR 232 237 .594 .602 111+4, 921s, BB Quads, Motoul 600, CCW Clasics (street and drag), Cartech line lock, Zip stage ChiefDave 3.90s, Raptor, FAST 90, NW TB, QA1-Rs, PRM stage V M12...
best 60 1.460

460 RWHP 428WT
tuned by Jeff Creech CAM

2005 1500 SLT Quad 4x4 Hemi 15.4 @ 87 bone stock, Featherlite 3100
chiefDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Hercdriver
CF Senior Member

Yea, I am really excited to show the Germans some true American muscle! I guess I will talk to the Valentine guy and see what they have to say!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #7
Bluewasp
CF Senior Member
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

Send a message via AIM to Bluewasp Send a message via Yahoo to Bluewasp

They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER!

rob
\\ 1996 Grand Sport #340 Red guts
\\ 2013 427 Convertible #140
-=-= GS 340 Videos =-=-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMMO_SualSY

- GS 340 on the Autobahn -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyPjtg5o1AQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2uH-Gyu8_s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUgLghqhb0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpf-Xe5PXhE

\\ 2011 Grand Sport Convertible Red guts SOLD
Bluewasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Steve Germany
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewasp
They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER!

rob
Valentine has updated their detectors to include european radar. You do have go into the mode change function in order to enable the frequency. They definately do work here in Europe now and ther are several of web sites that sell them here now. (BTW they are US models that simply have the EU mode turned on). The Valentine web site has the instruction on how to do it.

Of course the laser freqs are not covered but they are VERY rare here in Germany (for Now).

Last edited by Steve Germany; 06-22-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Steve Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
LT1driver
CF Senior Member

herc driver, you going to ramstein? i did several tdys there and had a great time, dyess afb mx officer at the time in the 40th, grew up in j-ville in late 60s.
LT1driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Radar detector in Germany?

Tags
allowed, detector, fines, german, germany, radar