Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Radar detector in Germany?

Old 06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Hercdriver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radar detector in Germany?

Hey all, I have a question. Do you all think it is worth having a radar detector overseas? If I do take it with me, do I have to get anything upgraded? I have a Valentine One. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:51 AM
LT4 Rocker
Intermediate

Default Radar Detector

Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com
Old 06-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Hercdriver
Instructor

Thank you so much for the info! Do you suggest that I sell or trade my V1 for something on the forum? Does anyone in Germany that you know of have High Flow Cats? Are they allowed there? Thanks again!
Old 06-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Might want to shoot an email to Valentine for their insights on the target environment in Europe. They sell internationally and have a loyal following there too.

Ranger
Old 06-21-2006, 10:03 AM
chiefDave
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by LT4 Rocker
Radar detectors not nearly as big here as in the USA. I've been pushing the limits here for 10 years and never felt the need. First, The speed limits and traffic are high enough that you stay under the limit most of the time. Second, nearly all speed control is done with cameras and their locations are both published on the internet and predictable. Third, There are many opportunites to test your personal limits on parts of the Autobahn that still have no speed limit. This gets the need for speed out of my system regularly.

Final note, the German Police regularly patrol the Autobahn in unmarked cars and will get you without the use of radar. If they get you significantly above the posted speed, be prepared for huge fines and be ready to walk for several months.

www.mollygunner.com
Hey great localtion! I have been to the castle many times and loved the town. I was in Manhiem from 98 to 2001. This was before my Vette but wow I could not imagine a vette on the autobahn I did see my first C5 (FRC) in the parking lot of the PX there and man I fell in love!!! Great post!
Dave
Old 06-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Hercdriver
Instructor

Yea, I am really excited to show the Germans some true American muscle! I guess I will talk to the Valentine guy and see what they have to say!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER!

rob
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Steve Germany
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
They DO NOT WORK. Radar used with the camera operates at a different band. France uses the same kind of LASER!

rob
Valentine has updated their detectors to include european radar. You do have go into the mode change function in order to enable the frequency. They definately do work here in Europe now and ther are several of web sites that sell them here now. (BTW they are US models that simply have the EU mode turned on). The Valentine web site has the instruction on how to do it.

Of course the laser freqs are not covered but they are VERY rare here in Germany (for Now).

Last edited by Steve Germany; 06-22-2006 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

herc driver, you going to ramstein? i did several tdys there and had a great time, dyess afb mx officer at the time in the 40th, grew up in j-ville in late 60s.

Get notified of new replies

To Radar detector in Germany?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Radar detector in Germany?