Sponsored by:

[Z06] Newbie/Might Buy Z06 - Questions - Advice Sought

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:51 PM
23109VC
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie/Might Buy Z06 - Questions - Advice Sought

I was turned onto this forum by a friend from another forum who now has a Vette.

I currently own a 2004 Volvo S60R. I've added numerous bolt on enhancements to make the car faster - and for what it is - it's fairly quick. For a car that needs to 'do it all' - haul passengers, groceries, provide some level of luxury/comfort - it does it all nicely, and it's faster than the average sedan. I've outrun 5.7L GTOs and E46 M3s with it. Not by much, but it can do it.

I've gotten to the point where I'm really bored with the power level, and I'm somewhat sick of the mods. My car is more finicky that I'd like it to be for a daily driver - it's overly sensitive to heat b/c it's a small turbo charged motor, and it's VERY picky about gas octane. 91 octane doens't work very well and I've resorted to mixing in small quantities of race gas to get the overall octane in my tank up to 93+ to get the car to run optimally. It runs awesome when things are all right - but for a daily driver - what a pain.

So - I'm thinking of having a more "normal" car as a daily driver - I have another car that is a nice four door sedan that will work fine. I can drop my S60R and pickup something with two seats, two doors, that is devoted to one thing - speed.

I do not have unlimited funds. I will probably spend $35k on whatever I buy - and I've seen nice low mileage Z06s in this price range. I also don't want to go mod crazy. I know any car can suck up thousands of dollars - just like my volvo has...but the Z06 is amazingly fast out fo the box. If I ever did get the bug to mod it, I would think that for a marginal investment, the car would be even more fast.

Here are my big questions:

I know the later models have more power than the first model. Is there any reason to get an 02 vs an 03 vs an 04? Or should I be more concerned with mileage and overall condition?

Is there any chance I can find a "certified" type car from a dealer and still have some type of warranty? I know some car dealers will certify a car - so if I bought a Z06 at a Chevy dealer - maybe they add a larger than normal warranty and might actually have a 405hp car that still carries a substantial powertrain warranty. Is that possible...or am I stuck with the facotry GM warranty..whcih even on an 04, would be pretty much over due to time?

Related to the above - IF I could get a car with a warranty, or some type of extended warranty, IF I decided to mod the car, like headers, intake, cams - does that void the warranty, or is GM cool about minor bolt ons?

I've seen guys on here posting that they have hit 11 and low 12 second quarter mile times on stock Z06s. Is that for REAL? I thought the car was rated at 12.8 or 12.9 by the car mags. How is it that they are so off? Are high 12s what the car will normally do, but you can do better if you abuse it at a launch, or are those cars just super strong "unusual" cars?

If I did want to mod teh car - and only spend a few grand - from what I've read, most guys seem to be doing a tune, intake, headers, high flow cars, maybe exhaust. or cams. with those types of mods ONLY, assuming NO forced induction or nitrous - what is the expected hp and how much does that affect the quarter mile time? with basic bolt ons will a Z06 consistently run in the 11s?

I've seen car mags say the Z06 runs in high 12s. I have seen car mags say the EVO/STi cars run low 13s. I have seen some EVO owners extract mega power gains with minimal bolt ons. Over on some EVO site I looked at - guys claim to run low 12s with just an exhaut, boost controller, and tune. It seems like the 1/4 mile times on these cars is exaggeated because of how hard they launch...but they really lack the brute power to move the car at higher speeds or from a roll. I don't really have anythign against an EVO, and it's really more ricey of a car that i'm looing at, but it would drive me nuts to drop $35k on an Z06 and have some punk kid in his EVO with a wing blow me away. Have many of you raced th eEVO/Sti and an they really hang/beat a Z06 or a mildly modded Z06?

How do the Z06 hold up in terms of relaibility? I'd be mostly driving the car for pleasure, weekends, occasionally to/from work, but it probably would not be a daily driver. i might have it for several years. are they any more or less prone to major failures than any other GM product? are there any major thigns to watch out for?

is there much needed to do to the suspension or brakes on the car? I knwo the Z06 has a lot of go fast parts on it from the factory - so I assume that stock suspension is probably good enough. i heare the car can be lowered easily - is that true?

I need to go test drive one. I've only driven a base model C5 and I think it had the base suspension. it was my bro in laws car, it had a corsa cat back but otherwise stock. it had nice low end, good pull, but wow was it floaty. it cornered ok once the weight shifted in the turns, but crusing around, it felt like a floaty caddilac. power was good, but it ddin't blow my socks off. I honstly think my Volvo would tie his C5 Vette in terms of a race were we to go from a roll. from a dig the C5 would eat me alive otu o the hole.... i loved how it sounded. MEAN.

thanks for any advice. please no flames. i know i probably asked a ton of newbie qustions that I could find answer to by searchign all over...but I am hoping someone here was in my shoes...and feels like extending some friendly advice.

i like the idea of buying a car that I dn't HAVE to mod to make fast. I keep saying the next car i buy will be FAST out of the box. something that i could mod if I had to, but if I left it stock, it woudl still smoke 90% of the cars on the road. In my price oint, the Z06 is probably the only car that will accomplish that.

thanks.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 PM
jay'szo6
Safety Car

Buy one, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:20 PM
80shilling
Instructor

If you do your research and only pay attention to legitimate sources for your figures as opposed to rumor/conjecture and straight out guessing, you will find that the MAJORITY of reputable Magazines got figures ranging from 3.9 - 4.3 seconds for 0-60 and 12.3 - 12.6 in the quarter. The official Chevrolet figures are 0-60 3.9, 1/4 mile 12.4. Some people, including the inestimable Mr. Ranger a member of this Forum have got as good as 11.7 in the quarter mile (your mileage (or et) may vary :-).

I came from the same general direction you are... mainly that I bought and modified a Porsche 944 Turbo to the point where it made 440 RWHP.. problem was that as a daily driver it became almost unuseable.. track suspension, 750 lb springs, bilstein race shocks, had to run at only .8 bar with the crappy California gas, overheating if stuck in traffic, blown head gaskets etc... Not to mention the approximately $140,000.00 I put into it over 7 years. The ZO6 is pretty much a match for my 944 Turbo straight out of the box, only it's a great daily driver, AC works, runs on crappy CA 91 octane, carries groceries, dates can get in the car without needing a shoehorn.

If all you want to do is drag the car, then there are hundreds of cars out there that will kick your *** if they are modified.. wanna race an 800 HP Evo.. you'll lose.. Can the owner of that Evo go on a Sunday drive without worrying about if the car will break? NO. Does his AC work? No.

With mods to the 'Vette, you can get upwards of 520 HP at the wheels with a NA (naturally aspirated) motor... more if you go with a stroker. If you need more, put $10k into a Twin Turbo setup and at low boost, you can make 600+ HP at the wheels and STILL have a daily driver.

Good luck with finding a car you like and I hope you will be joining the ZO6 owners club like I did.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Vette Dream
Burning Brakes

You can get a very low mileage Z06 for <= 35K with extended warranty (GMPP)... that's what I did!

Yes those cars can really run high 11s / low 12s in the hands of capable drivers.

The C5 Z06 (and C6 Z06 as well) are consistently rated by the magazines as the best bang-for-the-buck sports car, hands down. Something to think about...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:05 PM
Torqaholic
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I need to go test drive one. I've only driven a base model C5 and I think it had the base suspension. it was my bro in laws car, it had a corsa cat back but otherwise stock. it had nice low end, good pull, but wow was it floaty. it cornered ok once the weight shifted in the turns, but crusing around, it felt like a floaty caddilac. power was good, but it ddin't blow my socks off.
My Z's engine and suspension are stock (2003). I'll go out on a limb here and say that my Z is definately not "floaty" I dodged over the centerline to miss a cat* the other day using nothing more than a slight flinch of the wrist. It's not so much like turning, think of it as aiming, you basically point the car at it's target. There was a guy here on the forum a week ago complaining the car was darty on the highway like that's a bad thing

It took me a couple weeks to feel confident leaving the traction control (TC) off. With the TC on the rear end still kicks out a little before it does it's thing so that's a good tool for learning reactions when things get out of shape. Now, a couple weeks later I could go through a majority of the gears sideways if I wanted (especially on cold tires) but speed still builds very fast and I'm not so keen on being out of shape that close to triple digits if you know what I mean.

* Strange story about the cat -

My 19 year old and I were discussing a guy down the street who just pegged a cat with his new BMW Roadster (repair shop 5 weeks!). Kid tells me this guy blames his car. I tell him "it's not the car's fault, I would never blame anything or anyone but myself for an accident. It's driver skill, the guy has no skill, he wasn't paying attention"... As the words are leaving my mouth I spot this huge freaking tomcat streak across the centerline. If I do nothing he center punches me @50mph. I pop the brake/flinch the wrist and blamed the kid for almost causing me an accident

Last edited by Torqaholic; 06-23-2006 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:33 AM
Vette Dream
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I need to go test drive one. I've only driven a base model C5 and I think it had the base suspension. it was my bro in laws car, it had a corsa cat back but otherwise stock. it had nice low end, good pull, but wow was it floaty. it cornered ok once the weight shifted in the turns, but crusing around, it felt like a floaty caddilac. power was good, but it ddin't blow my socks off.
You definitely need to drive a Z.

I am the complete opposite of you, I've never been/driven a C5 coupe. I've ridden shotgun in 1 Z06, and then two years later I bought mine.

The Z06 feels anything but "floaty", even in triple-digit speeds. The Z06 suspension is stiffer and offers much less body roll than even the stiffest suspension for the C5 coupe which is the Z51.

Also, in terms of acceleration, well think of it this way: the typical C5 coupe runs low 13s whereas the typical Z06 runs low 12s, with a ~10mph difference in trap speeds.

This car is just an animal - just take one for a rip, and see for yourself!

Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2006, 02:09 AM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know what Cadillac you are refering to but go test drive a CTS-V. They are a hoot.

As for the Z06,

Gobs of power and looks to boot.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

But you may get so sick of the worst seats ever put into a high-performance sports car, you may want to sell her after a few months.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Jay's Z
Racer

I've seen car mags say the Z06 runs in high 12s. I have seen car mags say the EVO/STi cars run low 13s. I have seen some EVO owners extract mega power gains with minimal bolt ons. Over on some EVO site I looked at - guys claim to run low 12s with just an exhaut, boost controller, and tune. It seems like the 1/4 mile times on these cars is exaggeated because of how hard they launch...but they really lack the brute power to move the car at higher speeds or from a roll. I don't really have anythign against an EVO, and it's really more ricey of a car that i'm looing at, but it would drive me nuts to drop $35k on an Z06 and have some punk kid in his EVO with a wing blow me away. Have many of you raced th eEVO/Sti and an they really hang/beat a Z06 or a mildly modded Z06?
Hi 23109VC,

Nice post. Are you still wrestling with deciding between an American vs. Import car?

Relax and tap into some good 'ole American V8 rear wheel drive action. To each his/her own I guess but for me there is nothing like the sound of V8 muscle rumbling under the hood. I love the sound and the feel of the exhaust roar under accelleration.

Even the younger kids attracted to the riceroni cars still give nods and smiles of approval when they check out the Z.

You know, I've seen lots of very nice highly modified ricers out there. They look cool and the owners (even very young owners) I've met take pride in their rides and it shows. They turn heads...even mine. Not because I covet one for myself but because I appreciate the work and attention that went into them.

But, and this is important, I never pay any attention to a stock import...ever (not counting higher-end exotics of course). They aren't even interesting in stock form. They don't become interesting until thousands of dollars have been spent to make them more interesting.

My bone stock Z always got attention...always. It got attention because most everyone notices a Vette. A Vette is simply too cool not to notice. It gets noticed even more since I've replaced the stock exhaust and the sound is more...uh...attention grabbing.

So....don't hesitate to jump into a Z. Like another comment above...you will not be disappointed. The Vette...especially the Z06, has an inheirent coolness that is undeniable.

-Jay
Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 PM
23109VC
Navigator

wow. thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

I'll have to try one out. I'm right in the middle of moving - so it will be a few weeks before I have the spare time to go out and really take a look at one and drive it.

I'm kind of nervous about driving one. I'm afraid I might test drive it, and then not be able to walk away from the dealership without the car... the speed thrill it gives me just might be too much to resist.... cars/speed are my one vice.

how does the Z06 run on 91 octane? if you put in 93 or 100 octane does the car run much better? on my turbo volvo, the difference beteen 100 octane and 91 octane is EASILY 30-40 wheel horsepower..maybe more. it's like driving a different car...and in CA, trying to find 100 octane at the pump, mixing gas, etc...it a royal pain.

it woudl be nice to have a car that can haul A$$ on 91.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:15 PM
Javvy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, another newbie here and this is my first reply/post on the forum as i've just joined today! I've just sold my MY 01 C5 coupe and bought a black 03 Z06 with 4600mls, Borla cat back and K&N FIPK. I had the coupe 4 yrs & yes even with the F45 set at performance it still felt "floaty" if thats the word. The Z is a totally different ride, faster YES!!, handles excellent, flat and a lot smoother than the coupe, which also had pilot sports all round (better than run flats!!). I am English and live in England so the roads are a little different, but all I can say is drive one - you'll but it!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:03 PM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are asking if you should buy a Z06 then that means you never drove one. Test drive one and you will be clear as to what you should do. I have owned C1's, C2's, C3's and C4's and the Z06 is clearly the fastest, best handling, best braking, most exciting Corvette I have ever owned. I am amazed at what a great car it is. Looks you can debate (though I feel it is the best looking-including the new C6 model) but not performance.

Just test drive one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:15 PM
Yellow03Z06
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will not be disappointed with the Z. I have loved every minute of it since I bought it. I still find myself sitting in the car in the garage with a smile on my face. I love spending Sundays washing the car. Its just so sexy looking and so damn fast yet civilized. I have a 569 RWHP Starion which is fast as hell, but I wouldn't drive it daily if they paid me. The Z may be outpowered in my garage, but there is nothing like taking a nice drive long drive with the wifey and the Z.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
loudv8
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Volvo sounds nice. Do a test drive in the Z and drive it as you would your V. As others have said, you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:42 PM
Vette Dream
Burning Brakes

how does the Z06 run on 91 octane? if you put in 93 or 100 octane does the car run much better? on my turbo volvo, the difference beteen 100 octane and 91 octane is EASILY 30-40 wheel horsepower..maybe more. it's like driving a different car...and in CA, trying to find 100 octane at the pump, mixing gas, etc...it a royal pain.

it woudl be nice to have a car that can haul A$$ on 91.
Well the Z06 is designed to run on 91 octane, and nothing more. Put 93 or 94 in there and you're wasting your money - unless of course, you have modifications requiring higher octane such as a higher-compression head/cam swap.

Keep in mind, in stock form and with 91 octane, it performs just the way GM intended it to. Your modified Volvo, which sounds pretty neat BTW, is of course a lot pickier when it comes to octane levels due to tuning differences.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:43 PM
23109VC
Navigator

the volvo was picky on gas even stock. I don't know why..but I was told that the swedish engineers designed it with euro gas in mind and never really tu ned it right for US gas...at leat not CA gas. the car is claimed to be 300hp stock..but many have verified that in CA on 91 octane, it is really a lot less. that's part fo the problem with small engines, turbos....they are picker on fuel/temps.

i'll test drive one in the next couple of weeks and I'll be sure to report back.

My buddy h as an S2000 and he's telling me to at least test drive one. nowhere near the power of a Z06, but he says he has so much fun in the S2000...he says on tight twisty roads, it's amazing. drop top...yeah it woudl be fun, and HOnda does put together nicely built cars...

having owned mostly japanese and euro cars....never ownd an american car, my only fear is that low rent interior in the Vette will be a turn off. when I drove my bro in laws C5 i thought it felt cheap.

but no denyimng the Z06 is really built to PERFORM and it wasn't meant to ba luxury car....so it does what it was built for..

i gotta try one. it might be like crack...try it and i'll be hooked..
Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 AM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 101 Posts

Here are my big questions:

I know the later models have more power than the first model. Is there any reason to get an 02 vs an 03 vs an 04? Or should I be more concerned with mileage and overall condition?

You should be more concerned with overall condition and mileage. The '01s did have more issues than the latter years, '02-04 are pretty much the same from a reliability standpoint. There were numerous running changes to the car none big enough in my opinion to sway from one year to the next.

Is there any chance I can find a "certified" type car from a dealer and still have some type of warranty? I know some car dealers will certify a car - so if I bought a Z06 at a Chevy dealer - maybe they add a larger than normal warranty and might actually have a 405hp car that still carries a substantial powertrain warranty. Is that possible...or am I stuck with the facotry GM warranty..whcih even on an 04, would be pretty much over due to time?

I dont know that there is a factory certification for pre-owned vettes. You should still be able to find cars that had extended warrenties on them when purchased new

Related to the above - IF I could get a car with a warranty, or some type of extended warranty, IF I decided to mod the car, like headers, intake, cams - does that void the warranty, or is GM cool about minor bolt ons?
Its all about the dealer really, some are cool, some are not. Technically by the law they have to prove that the problem you are experiencing was caused by a modification you did.

I've seen guys on here posting that they have hit 11 and low 12 second quarter mile times on stock Z06s. Is that for REAL? I thought the car was rated at 12.8 or 12.9 by the car mags. How is it that they are so off? Are high 12s what the car will normally do, but you can do better if you abuse it at a launch, or are those cars just super strong "unusual" cars?
Most cars will dyno within 5 RWHP of each other (same day same dyno) when stock. The norm for an average driver (car enthusiast) is probalby around 12.5@115mph, super drivers like Ranger consistently ran 11.9s, its doable but not the norm

If I did want to mod teh car - and only spend a few grand - from what I've read, most guys seem to be doing a tune, intake, headers, high flow cars, maybe exhaust. or cams. with those types of mods ONLY, assuming NO forced induction or nitrous - what is the expected hp and how much does that affect the quarter mile time? with basic bolt ons will a Z06 consistently run in the 11s?
I would consider the normal bolt-ons to be air intake, ported TB, LT headers, and a tune. This will add about 35RWHP (385RWHP or so, 400RWHP is doable with ALL the boltons, 440RWHP is doable with a huge cam, 480RWHP is doable with good heads on top of everything else. It would take boltons and a cam to get the average driver consistently into the 11s probalby

Running into an EVO with enough modifications to beat a stock Z on a day to day basis would probalby be a rare thing. That said Turbo platforms always have the potential to make big power relatively cheap

How do the Z06 hold up in terms of relaibility? I'd be mostly driving the car for pleasure, weekends, occasionally to/from work, but it probably would not be a daily driver. i might have it for several years. are they any more or less prone to major failures than any other GM product? are there any major thigns to watch out for?
I would say they are pretty rock solid from a major failure standpoint. The only thing to watch out for from a major failure standpoint would be to maintain the valvesprings, the camshaft in the '02+ cars has a pretty aggressive lift, and valvespring failures with some mileage are not out of the question, easily solved with regular maintenance. Vettes have frequent little issues that GM seems to let go to be corrected in warrenty, (loose driver seat, leaky rear differential, blah blah blah. I have had my car back 3 times since '03 for minor fixes.

is there much needed to do to the suspension or brakes on the car? I knwo the Z06 has a lot of go fast parts on it from the factory - so I assume that stock suspension is probably good enough. i heare the car can be lowered easily - is that true?
Stock supsension is fantastic, can be lowered very easily up to about .8 inches. Can be lowered 2" or so with $50 in modifications, cut front bushings & longer rear bolts. Do a search for directions in this forum.

I need to go test drive one. I've only driven a base model C5 and I think it had the base suspension. it was my bro in laws car, it had a corsa cat back but otherwise stock. it had nice low end, good pull, but wow was it floaty. it cornered ok once the weight shifted in the turns, but crusing around, it felt like a floaty caddilac. power was good, but it ddin't blow my socks off. I honstly think my Volvo would tie his C5 Vette in terms of a race were we to go from a roll. from a dig the C5 would eat me alive otu o the hole.... i loved how it sounded. MEAN.
Drive one, no comparison between a stock coupe and a Z in 'feel'

i like the idea of buying a car that I dn't HAVE to mod to make fast. I keep saying the next car i buy will be FAST out of the box. something that i could mod if I had to, but if I left it stock, it woudl still smoke 90% of the cars on the road. In my price oint, the Z06 is probably the only car that will accomplish that.
I have been happy with my Z from a performance standpoint. If I mod it will be out of boredom and will be bolt-on only (and I owned a modified WS6 before this one). The car is so well balanced from the factory I feel nervous to upset it with modificaiton

thanks.
Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie/Might Buy Z06 - Questions - Advice Sought

Old 06-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Check out the fast z06 list, just updated, for the forum guys that run quick. The fastest mag time is 11.97 from GMHTP.
Robert
Old 06-25-2006, 12:22 PM
z06dailydriver
Racer

I agree with everyone here you should test drive a C5 Z06 before you make a commitment. I have an 02Z and my son has a stock 05 6spd 6.0 L GTO. I noted your comment on the GTO. You can check all the numbers you want, but for what it's worth, in a seat of the pants test, the Z takes the GTO, with no problem.

Good Luck
Old 06-25-2006, 09:36 PM
Robert56@RNS
Collections Hold

Originally Posted by z06dailydriver
I agree with everyone here you should test drive a C5 Z06 before you make a commitment. I have an 02Z and my son has a stock 05 6spd 6.0 L GTO. I noted your comment on the GTO. You can check all the numbers you want, but for what it's worth, in a seat of the pants test, the Z takes the GTO, with no problem.

Good Luck
All the GTO's at my track run 13.xx stock and some with mods high 12.xxs. Not even close in any regard, braking, acceleration, stopping cornering , cool factor and so on.
Robert

Quick Reply: [Z06] Newbie/Might Buy Z06 - Questions - Advice Sought