Sponsored by:

[Z06] This Is WIERD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 04:01 PM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default This Is WIERD!

Went to play golf in PA this past weekend. Drove from southern MD on Friday with no problems. It rained Saturday night and all day Sunday. Got in the Z to come home and S*** started to happen. May Active Handling failed. The insturment panel went nuts and the check gages came on. The fuel gage stop working and I got a LOW FUEL warning with 1/2 tank of fuel. The radio would die but would start working when the gages started working again. I got a LOW ENGINE POWER warning. The SECURITY light came on (I did the Houston Corvette SCL mod just before I left). However, the car ran fine. So I stopped and filled up with fuel so that would not be an issue just in case the gages went nipples skyward. When I started the engine, I got the same stuff but as I drove home the gages settled down but the handling was still hosed. About an hour later, I stopped to use the sand box. When I started the Z, everything was normal and remained normal the remainder of the trip. I drove the Z another 100 miles after I got home with no problems. Do I have a loose connector somewhere that got water in it? Any ideas before I take to dealer would be appreciated.

ED
Old 11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

I would suggest to avoid this happening again, do not play golf here in PA.

Seriously, sounds like dampness that dried out with driving.

Good luck !
Old 11-13-2006, 04:39 PM
80shilling
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SweetZO6
Went to play golf in PA this past weekend. Drove from southern MD on Friday with no problems. It rained Saturday night and all day Sunday. Got in the Z to come home and S*** started to happen. May Active Handling failed. The insturment panel went nuts and the check gages came on. The fuel gage stop working and I got a LOW FUEL warning with 1/2 tank of fuel. The radio would die but would start working when the gages started working again. I got a LOW ENGINE POWER warning. The SECURITY light came on (I did the Houston Corvette SCL mod just before I left). However, the car ran fine. So I stopped and filled up with fuel so that would not be an issue just in case the gages went nipples skyward. When I started the engine, I got the same stuff but as I drove home the gages settled down but the handling was still hosed. About an hour later, I stopped to use the sand box. When I started the Z, everything was normal and remained normal the remainder of the trip. I drove the Z another 100 miles after I got home with no problems. Do I have a loose connector somewhere that got water in it? Any ideas before I take to dealer would be appreciated.

ED

I had the identical problem in my Porsche and it turned out to be a loose ground wire... it had come loose from the frams... maybe some water got in somewhere it shouldn't have and gave you similar issues?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:16 PM
bmg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Battery may be on the way out?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Default grounds

Check the ground wirw on the battery make sure its clean, and if you have access to a manual (a real vette manual not chilton or whatever), it will give you locations to all the grounding points, there are a bunch of them, start cleaning them up, and put some silicone grease(for electrical connections) on the cleanned wire connections and ground points.

Check the big ones first, battery to ground, on engine, and on frame rail, they are the most important, they are all important on a glas car, good luck...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
SweetZO6
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The battery is a new OPTIMA and the car starts and charges fine. Maybe I loosened or broke a ground wire while I was installing the SCL mod since the instruments and radio went nuts. I tugged on the harness pretty good to get the connectors apart. Will check that first. Thanks for the feedback.

ED
Old 11-14-2006, 11:13 AM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Default ground

well theres your starting point, I heard ppl. having ground problems with C-5's, It is a lousy set up, they have a bunch of grounds running into a plug, and one ground, that can cause trouble along with moisture, If your a rain driver, my car dosn't do rain, one day I'm going to buy a daily driver, I haven't had one in a long time, good luck with your problem...B
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First rule of auto troubleshooting -- If a new problem arises, look at the last thing you did to the car. That's probably a good place to start. Make sure that you didn't knock something loose or short something out. It does sound like it is moisture related, and that often leads to grounding issues, as others have said.

Otherwise, your car is telling you that it doesn't want to be in Pennsylvania.

Get notified of new replies

To This Is WIERD!

Quick Reply: [Z06] This Is WIERD!