Sponsored by:

[Z06] C5 Race Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:54 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5 Race Car

I've been spending so much time watching my buddies C6 Race Car thread, I haven't posted any of my own.

Last year, I joined the Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, IL. I had never raced, but had owned a number of Corvettes. I thought I would drive my stock C5 at the track . . . wrong!

Even before the track opened, I had added alot of safety and performance equipment. Oh, and the black stripe . . . had to be different.

The first modifications included:

Sparco 2000 seats
Roll Bar
6-point harness system
Single bottle fire suppression
Fikse Wheels
Brembo Brakes
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires
Trans cooler
Differential cooler
Oversized Race Radiator
Accu Sump System
T-1 Suspension
Double Disk Racing Clutch

That was fun, but I knew I could do better.

This years build includes the next level:

Ripped out the T-1 Suspension (now for sale) and put in Moton 2-way adjustable coil overs
Ripped out the Roll bar, and had a professionally built roll cage installed
Took out the single bottle fire suppression, and have a full fire suppression system installed
Tubbed the rear end to handle 18/345's
Replaced Fikse wheel barrel's to handle increased tire size
Added quick release steering wheel
Replaced rear end with 3.9:1
Added B&M Short Shifter

The cage fabricaton has been really cool:

Old 03-22-2007, 11:07 PM
electronbluec5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to see some larger pics of the Cage Install.

Sounds like you have a pretty bad *** car on your hands. Do you have any plans to increase the engine's performance or do plan on leaving the powertrain stock? Just wondering. How many track days have you done?

Looks nice so far
Old 03-22-2007, 11:10 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Thats a pretty impressive car!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Flatlander
Advanced

That's a nice setup you've got there. I have run at Autobahn a few times with my stock Z and always had a blast. It's a great track.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:36 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Cage Pics

Originally Posted by electronbluec5
I would love to see some larger pics of the Cage Install.

Sounds like you have a pretty bad *** car on your hands. Do you have any plans to increase the engine's performance or do plan on leaving the powertrain stock? Just wondering. How many track days have you done?

Looks nice so far
Here are pictures that were taken today, and over the last week:

So far the motor is stock. It has about 35,000 miles on it, so I'm expecting a blown engine this year. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. The expense of this 'addiction' was unplanned . . .
Old 03-22-2007, 11:38 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Autobahn

Originally Posted by Flatlander
That's a nice setup you've got there. I have run at Autobahn a few times with my stock Z and always had a blast. It's a great track.
I love the track, but then again I have nothing to compare it to. As a member, we have access to the track 6-days a week. I got out about 30 times last year. Last month, I attended a 3-day school at Bondurant in Phoenix, and walked out with a Regional SCCA license. Beyond that, I'm a newbee to the track scene. I'm hoping to get out to a few this year.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 AM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I think that's your car at the very start of this video... I am a member out at the 'bahn as well.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13216906425170

Your car is looking very nice. My Z06 is getting back from L.G.Motorsports after being there for the last month. Nice cage, I need to do that too.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Nice car!!!

Can you give us some more info about the track qand what kind of times your car runs? How does that compare with other cars including the C6 Z06?

I have always heard that the last thing to do is add power. More important to do suspension and brakes first. Looking for more evidence to support this judgment.

You might also want to consider posting in the autocross/road racing section. I am sure the crowd over there would love to see your car and what you have done.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
electronbluec5
Racer

Originally Posted by Independent1
Nice car!!!

Can you give us some more info about the track qand what kind of times your car runs? How does that compare with other cars including the C6 Z06?

I have always heard that the last thing to do is add power. More important to do suspension and brakes first. Looking for more evidence to support this judgment.

You might also want to consider posting in the autocross/road racing section. I am sure the crowd over there would love to see your car and what you have done.
I agree that the last thing to do if you are going to mostly road course driving is to add power. First you should get all of the performance out of the car by upgrading the suspension and brakes.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:08 PM
N2 TRBL
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

nice How much does that thing weigh?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:12 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Autobahn Video

Originally Posted by JimBacus
I think that's your car at the very start of this video... I am a member out at the 'bahn as well.

Your car is looking very nice. My Z06 is getting back from L.G.Motorsports after being there for the last month. Nice cage, I need to do that too.

I like the video. Very cool, and that is me that you PASSED like I was standing still. I had mechanical problems on Sunday (last day), and put on 44-laps before I limped off the course. I had a best time of 1:33.606 on South that day.

I have had Fall-Line Motorsports do all of the work to my car, and am very happy with the outcome. Are you going next weekend for opening day (Sat/Sun)?

I bought a camera mount, and thought I would just hook up my home digital recorder. I'm having second thoughts about that. What did you use in the video?

Also, do you store your car there?
Old 03-23-2007, 12:14 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Power

Originally Posted by electronbluec5
I agree that the last thing to do if you are going to mostly road course driving is to add power. First you should get all of the performance out of the car by upgrading the suspension and brakes.
I'm hoping the car gets a whole season out of the stock engine and trans. If it goes, I'll definitely add power and torque. Somewhere around 500hp.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:17 PM
mr-z
Burning Brakes

That's a nice setup MORE PIC.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Originally Posted by Independent1
Nice car!!!

My lap times got better as the season wound down. I got comfortably, had some instruction from the 2-pros we have at Autobahn. Also, I started to understand the saying, "SMOOTH IS FAST". My best times are as follows:

Date: Oct 21, 2006
Event: OctoberFest Full Track Weekend
Full Track (3.560 Miles)

Best Lap Avg. Speed
2:39.309 80.447

Date: Oct 28, 2006
Event: October South Track
South Track (2.100 Miles)

Best Lap Avg. Speed
1:33.549 80.813

Date: Oct 7, 2006
Event: October North Track
North Track (1.460 Miles)

Best Lap Avg. Speed
1:10.525 74.527

I was able to advance to the 'A' group by mid-season, and believe that my trip to Bondurant last February should position me to stay there. I just hope I don't get out there, with all the new parts and have TOO much confidence.

I ran with my friend, SHORT-THROW who posts on the C6 forum (ZO6) pretty well. I don't think I can beat him this year, as he is building a BEAST. Check out his threads . . .
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice cage, I need to do that too.

Jim,

You're right, that's Don's car. He had a few car problems that day, it's not often he is passed. With his new cage and monster slicks he'll be a tough competitor out there.

Don and I have been building our cars together this year. Our shop is among the best in safety and cage work. Those pics you see are from my crappy camera phone. Here's a few photos of my cage. Don's car has the same quality cage work just hard to see in the camera phone pics.

Originally Posted by AutobahnRacer
I ran with my friend, SHORT-THROW who posts on the C6 forum (ZO6) pretty well. I don't think I can beat him this year, as he is building a BEAST. Check out his threads . . .
The whole history is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1655907

Jim, I know we tried in the past..we'll definitely hook up soon.

If you'd like to see either of our cars at the shop, let us know.

Mike
Old 03-23-2007, 12:35 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default The Cage

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Jim,

You're right, that's Don's car. He had a few car problems that day, it's not often he is passed. With his new cage and monster slicks he'll be a tough competitor out there.

Don and I have been building our cars together this year. Our shop is among the best in safety and cage work. Those pics you see are from my crappy camera phone. Here's a few photos of my cage. Don's car has the same quality cage work just hard to see in the camera phone pics.

The whole history is here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1655907

Jim, I know we tried in the past..we'll definitely hook up soon.

If you'd like to see either of our cars at the shop, let us know.

Mike
That's the BEAST I was talking about . . . when you see that thing on the track, just get out of his way! 700+ HP, 3-Way adjustables, sequential trans, Motec Data and list goes on.

There will be no CAT and MOUSE this year Mikey.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

I like the video. Very cool, and that is me that you PASSED like I was standing still. I had mechanical problems on Sunday (last day), and put on 44-laps before I limped off the course. I had a best time of 1:33.606 on South that day.

I have had Fall-Line Motorsports do all of the work to my car, and am very happy with the outcome. Are you going next weekend for opening day (Sat/Sun)?

I bought a camera mount, and thought I would just hook up my home digital recorder. I'm having second thoughts about that. What did you use in the video?

Also, do you store your car there?
I have to find it, but I probably have other video of you walking by me. I thought you were on a cool down lap there, it was just the first video of mine on google I found. I think you are faster than me, 1:33 is good. My car now has coilovers, is corner balanced and aligned by LGM, and much better brakes.

I will be out there next week end, both days if the weather permits, probably just like everyone else. The plate on my Z06 says "POINT BY" which is what I'll probably be doing for you and others as re-learn how to drive my car.

I would like to store my car out there, I have another car I would like to drive out there and possibly track as well.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Race Car

Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Date: Oct 21, 2006
Event: OctoberFest Full Track Weekend
Full Track (3.560 Miles)

Best Lap Avg. Speed
2:39.309 80.447
OK, I mostly run the full course and you are very fast!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
AutobahnRacer
Racer

Default Autobahn Garage

I have to find it, but I probably have other video of you walking by me. I thought you were on a cool down lap there, it was just the first video of mine on google I found. I think you are faster than me, 1:33 is good. My car now has coilovers, is corner balanced and aligned by LGM, and much better brakes.

I will be out there next week end, both days if the weather permits, probably just like everyone else. The plate on my Z06 says "POINT BY" which is what I'll probably be doing for you and others as re-learn how to drive my car.

I would like to store my car out there, I have another car I would like to drive out there and possibly track as well.

Mike sent you an email, I think. He and I talk about 3X day . . . like it or not! Just kidding Mike. We're building a Garage Mahal on the North Track. He didn't want to give you the info. on the forum for fear that it would appear to be advertising. We're looking for the right people to join us in the venture . . . I'm leaving town for Spring Break, but will definitely talk to you when I return.

Can't wait for next weekend . . .
Old 03-24-2007, 12:06 PM
DDNZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Very cool guys. Holla at your neighbor if you ever have any get togethers.

Quick Reply: [Z06] C5 Race Car