[Z06] No need to worry about front license tag in Tx

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Race Prepared
Over the years and several Vettes later, have never been ticketed in Texas for no front plate. Even the DPS don't seem to care (last encounter was yesterday) if you have a front plate on your Vette.

I wish I could say I was equally lucky, but it just cost me $140 "vanity tax" for "No Front Plate". Granted he did stop me to tell me I was going to fast (but no radar to confirm), so he gave me a non-moving violation. I guess in the end it was probably a less expensive ticket, and less impact on driving record than speeding. I just paid it and continue to hope the stupid law gets changed.

I think the requirement for a FLP is
Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

The problem is NOT with the Texas speed limit of 80mph! The problem is that just after you pass El Paso and enter New Mexico, you see a sign that says "Border control speed enforcement area. Speed limit 55mph, strictly enforced" (or similar BS)
Old 04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
nitecruizer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ptindall;1559693874]I don't see how this law has anything to do with front plates. Looks like it's just about not covering up the edges of plates.[/QUO

AS AN LEO IN TEXAS THERE IS A LAW ON THE BOOKS THAT REQUIRE TWO (2) L.P.'S ON VEHICLES, SOME INFORCE IT, SOME DONT, IN MY CASE ITS IF YOU DONT P.O.P. (PITH OF THE POLICE) YOU GET BY WITH ONE L..P. IF YOU COMMIT THE OFFENSE OF P.O.P. YOU GET A CITATION.

cRUIZER
Old 04-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Scuba Driver
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

The CAP LOCKS are a nice touch....
Old 04-09-2007, 06:22 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never seen a C5 or C6 vette with a front plate in Texas. I don't have a front plate visible, its in the car though.

I have been recently stopped in the villages (if you are from Houston, you know what I am talking about, if not think Carmel, Winetka etc.) and I was given multiple tickets including old year sticker still on license plate ( when they swiched from year stickers on the license plate to a windshield sticker I was to remove the old stickers on the license plate) but I was not given a ticket for the lack of a front license plate.

However, my understanding it is required to display both license plates in Texas.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Hydra01
Advanced

There's a Texas DPS officer between Beaumont and Baytown that would disagree with you!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:05 AM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=DesertLS6;1559696671]Yeah I love that in AZ, you don't need to worry about registration stickers in the windshield, or front plates, or smog laws, and all that nonsense...plus the roads are wide open and flat!

I lived in AZ for 16 years and can clearly remember seeing shadows on I-10 due to the depth of the ruts that the semi's make, making it almost impossible for us to keep our fat tires in or out of them.

As for the plate issue, I've been ticketed once for no front plate, but the officer was one of those gung ho types tying to save our world with his fantastic acts of heroism. My ticket was for $35, I consider this a membership fee. As I explained to super cop when he asked where my front plate was; "it's in my garage where it belongs"
I even asked my attourney if there was some sort of permit I could get so I would not be required to have one, he said no.
So until the $35 fee thing gets out of hand the plate stays in the garage.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:21 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

AS AN LEO IN TEXAS THERE IS A LAW ON THE BOOKS THAT REQUIRE TWO (2) L.P.'S ON VEHICLES, SOME INFORCE IT, SOME DONT,
Originally Posted by Scuba Driver
The CAP LOCKS are a nice touch....
ditto on "enforce"
Old 04-10-2007, 12:28 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scuba Driver
I just paid it and continue to hope the stupid law gets changed.

I think the requirement for a FLP is
Don't hold you breath waiting for the law to change. It's going the other way in most states. They call it a "safety" thing, but what it really is is another way for them to catch you speeding or going through lights. How you ask?

The front plate is what the LEOs are trained to target with laser - they need something good and reflective to reflect the beam. The better the reflection, the faster they get a reading, and the less time you have to adjust your speed. BTW, the C5 is tuff to get a reading on with laser because it's so swoopy. It's fairly stealthy too when it comes to radar because of the small frontal area and the lack of flat metal in the front, which includes the laid back radiator. A front plate is a great radar reflector - another reason not to have it on your car.

Front plates are also photographed in some red light cameras, and in the toll booth cameras. They pick the front plate because with the different lengths of cars and trucks and trailers, they wouldn't know when to take the pic. Thats one of the reasons why trucks have had front plates even when cars didn't require it.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No front tags!!

I really thought I was going to get everyone excited about tickets for license plate frames covering part of the plate.

Maybe I will start a new thread.

Ed
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

everything in life comes down to "money" and that is the bottom line on front plates, whether it be for red lite cameras, making them-profits for someone, radar etc., doesn't matter, it is about money.

It all depends where you live whether they are enforced and of course how the LEO feels about it, locally here, city LEOs don't care, towns along I-20 in many cases do, win some lose some.

In my case, I just put it on and live with it.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:45 AM
CodeName Z06
Instructor

I have gotten 2 warning by state troopers, but local LEO dont care for it since i have passed many and even goten pulled over once, but he did not say anthing about the plate. Its more at the LEO discresion, but it is the law to have two plates. Until my luck runs out i will have the plate at home.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 PM
vettefamily
Instructor

The wording on the ticket is "NO FRONT TEXAS LICENSE NUMBER PLATES". It's not written that much, but is used as Probable Cause for traffic stops.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Bfail
Instructor

I had a camaro for around 7 years. Never had a front plate. I drove from Lubbock to Dallas a lot. Was pulled over around 10 times by State troopers for no front plate. I got 10 warnings. Never got a ticket. I've been pulled over by local cops in Dallas and Lubbock with no plate on and not once have they said anything about it.

Damn highway patrol!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:34 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been stopped twice for no front plate. Two warnings so far. I have the plate in the car with me, of course. Both stops were DPS, between towns. I should figure out some suction cups, or something, just to be law-abiding. Off to Target...
Old 04-02-2008, 09:03 PM
meangreen2000
Racer

Default Texas LEO here

I've been a LEO in Texas since 1999 and while I have pulled over numerous drivers (including more than a few fellow Vetters) for no front plate I have never written a citation for it. We use it as PROBABLE CAUSE to stop a vehicle and check for, among other things, valid insurance, registration and inspection, and of course drug interdiction. I myself have been pulled over for no front plate on my 2000 BGM Vert, and before that my 1995 PoloGreen Coupe. It is simply a law that enables us do more effectively target CRIMINALS, I've talked to alot of fellow LEO's and have met VERY few that actually issue citations for this offence. As long as your on the right side of the law and don't recieve a ticket it shouldn't bother you. Look at it this way, if your Vette is stolen and you don't have a front plate, there's a lot better chance of it getting pulled over and the thief of your pride and joy going to jail and your baby coming back to the garage.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:11 PM
meangreen2000
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
The problem is NOT with the Texas speed limit of 80mph! The problem is that just after you pass El Paso and enter New Mexico, you see a sign that says "Border control speed enforcement area. Speed limit 55mph, strictly enforced" (or similar BS)

Just like a Northerner to think that we have an 80mph speed limit in Texas...you probably think we all own horses and all wear cowboy hats and boots to huh...

Get notified of new replies

To No need to worry about front license tag in Tx

Old 04-03-2008, 08:09 PM
427t-top
Pro

80 on 1-10 in west Texas last month when I drove through
Old 04-03-2008, 08:52 PM
SilentFright
Drifting

Originally Posted by meangreen2000
I've been a LEO in Texas since 1999 and while I have pulled over numerous drivers (including more than a few fellow Vetters) for no front plate I have never written a citation for it. We use it as PROBABLE CAUSE to stop a vehicle and check for, among other things, valid insurance, registration and inspection, and of course drug interdiction. I myself have been pulled over for no front plate on my 2000 BGM Vert, and before that my 1995 PoloGreen Coupe. It is simply a law that enables us do more effectively target CRIMINALS, I've talked to alot of fellow LEO's and have met VERY few that actually issue citations for this offence. As long as your on the right side of the law and don't recieve a ticket it shouldn't bother you. Look at it this way, if your Vette is stolen and you don't have a front plate, there's a lot better chance of it getting pulled over and the thief of your pride and joy going to jail and your baby coming back to the garage.
That is what I like to hear .
Old 04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meangreen2000

Cool. That's what I figured.

Quick Reply: [Z06] No need to worry about front license tag in Tx