Sponsored by:

[Z06] 05' Viper vs. 03' Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:01 AM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 05' Viper vs. 03' Z06

Alright. I leased a red Viper; but Before all you hardcore Z06ers get all up in arms and call for my immediate ejectment from this forum, I'm buying my Z06 when the lease comes up in about 2 weeks. Plus, I got tired of Chevy dealers acting like they’re doing me a favor by offering me a new Z06 for $20,000 over invoice and after a year long wait.

So, what's the difference you ask? Well, plenty. I've only had it since Wednesday night and so I will be lodging my full report when I have more facts. However, in the two days that I've driven it, my feet have begun to hurt, I think I pulled a hamstring trying to climb out of it and I burned my lower leg on the damn muffler.

Let's just say it's a LOT different than our beloved Z06. In fact, when I sat in my Vette for a minute today, I felt that I was sitting in a limousine - it’s so much roomier!

The viper is a little too much over the top. I'm not saying that I regret leasing it (because if I admitted that, then I'd have to kill myself for leasing it over the internet without first driving it), what I am saying though is that the Z06 is a luxury car compared to the Viper.

To give you an idea, the Viper has no traction control or stability assist ; it has no memory seats and it's seats are anything but power; the seatbelt cuts nicely into my neck while I'm driving; it has no HUD; it doesn't have a computer which gives you all that useful information about the car; it doesn't have a dimming rearview or side view mirror, or even vanity mirrors; and for all intents and purposes it has no trunk.

What it does have is an EXTREMELY rough ride; abusively tight steering; interesting blind spots; foot pedals that are far too close together; and a coffin-like interior - but kind of in a good way.

It's somewhat archaic altogether. In fact, it seems to share a lot of the same attributes as my 87 Camaro, which I've had ever since I was 18. I've been rebuilding that car as a pet project for the past 5 or so years and even though it has adjustable Koni Shocks/Struts, strut-tower brace, sway-bars, 2" drop racing coils, panhard rod, poly bushings, subframe connectors, etc., its ride is actually smoother than the viper!

Moreover, the Z06 feels torquier, more responsive in the throttle and quicker than the Viper. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that my impression of the Z06 being faster is nothing more than an illusion since I'm not used to driving the Viper yet. I kind'a got that sense earlier tonight when I started to mess around a bit while driving home on a relatively open freeway. I can't say for sure yet, but I got the feeling that the Viper is VERY fast! But I can't say for sure.

Aside from the above, I don't have much more info. I'll have to write more as time goes on. For my first impression, I would say that I would've just died for the Viper when I was a 20 year old maniac; not so much as a 35 year old lawyer. There's just NO WAY that you can drive this car daily and keep your sanity. I actually felt tired after I got out of it today! The Vette is a far more practical and well-rounded car. If the new Z06 can match the performance of the Viper and still keep its comfort, then it’s the only way to go.

I'll keep you all posted.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:46 AM
Mr. Azrael
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I would love a Viper, but I still think I got the prettiest lady at the dance. Affiliational psychology... I can't wait to live vicariously though your experience though!
Old 04-28-2007, 02:21 AM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Believe me; it's not all that it's cracked up to be. My ankle is really starting to bother me now and I have a strange ache in my left wrist and forearm - I know that it's from having to hold that steering wheel so hard. I'll keep the posts up.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:20 AM
NorthTexasVette
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allot of talk about the two cars in this Thread.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1673738
Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 AM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

That's kewl you leased one, Vipers definitely aren't a car for everyone. The SRT-10 DOES feel like an older hot rod, it's BRUT force, unleashed

The pedals are closer so you can heel-toe.

I've never burnt my leg on the side exhaust, the interior on the Vipers is more of a 'cockpit' feel, they designed it that way to be more like a legal race car on the street, no AH, no cup holder, no HUD. just you behind a V10
Old 04-28-2007, 10:37 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ESBESQ
Believe me; it's not all that it's cracked up to be. My ankle is really starting to bother me now and I have a strange ache in my left wrist and forearm - I know that it's from having to hold that steering wheel so hard. I'll keep the posts up.
I rented a Viper once in Las Vegas right off the strip. I beat the hell out of that car on the highways adjacent to the city. Every 3 miles or so I pulled over to the shoulder and floored it from 0-100mph. The first time, I didn't know what I was doing, and I did a full clutch dump & full throttle, and I got a CLOUD of smoke--decent burnout.

In my 4 hours of continuous driving of the Viper, I didn't have any issue with the wheel. Yes, watch your leg when you get out.

I like the cockpit feel but the gages seemed too cheap--very much like the Neon gages. This was an older Viper, a 1995 RT/10. The cockpit feels tight like the C4 and that is what I like--your body tells you "this ain't no Oldsmobile" when you sit it it. My C5 Z doesn't.

You don't need to go fast to know that you are in something special if you are sitting in a Viper or even a C4.

Good luck with the rest of your lease!
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM
76REDVETTE
Pro

What do those cars dyno at? I'll be playing with one in a couple weeks, as my co-worker just got one.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Zan186
Heel & Toe

Alright. I leased a red Viper; but Before all you hardcore Z06ers get all up in arms and call for my immediate ejectment from this forum, I'm buying my Z06 when the lease comes up in about 2 weeks. Plus, I got tired of Chevy dealers acting like they’re doing me a favor by offering me a new Z06 for $20,000 over invoice and after a year long wait.

So, what's the difference you ask? Well, plenty. I've only had it since Wednesday night and so I will be lodging my full report when I have more facts. However, in the two days that I've driven it, my feet have begun to hurt, I think I pulled a hamstring trying to climb out of it and I burned my lower leg on the damn muffler.

Let's just say it's a LOT different than our beloved Z06. In fact, when I sat in my Vette for a minute today, I felt that I was sitting in a limousine - it’s so much roomier!

The viper is a little too much over the top. I'm not saying that I regret leasing it (because if I admitted that, then I'd have to kill myself for leasing it over the internet without first driving it), what I am saying though is that the Z06 is a luxury car compared to the Viper.

To give you an idea, the Viper has no traction control or stability assist ; it has no memory seats and it's seats are anything but power; the seatbelt cuts nicely into my neck while I'm driving; it has no HUD; it doesn't have a computer which gives you all that useful information about the car; it doesn't have a dimming rearview or side view mirror, or even vanity mirrors; and for all intents and purposes it has no trunk.

What it does have is an EXTREMELY rough ride; abusively tight steering; interesting blind spots; foot pedals that are far too close together; and a coffin-like interior - but kind of in a good way.

It's somewhat archaic altogether. In fact, it seems to share a lot of the same attributes as my 87 Camaro, which I've had ever since I was 18. I've been rebuilding that car as a pet project for the past 5 or so years and even though it has adjustable Koni Shocks/Struts, strut-tower brace, sway-bars, 2" drop racing coils, panhard rod, poly bushings, subframe connectors, etc., its ride is actually smoother than the viper!

Moreover, the Z06 feels torquier, more responsive in the throttle and quicker than the Viper. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that my impression of the Z06 being faster is nothing more than an illusion since I'm not used to driving the Viper yet. I kind'a got that sense earlier tonight when I started to mess around a bit while driving home on a relatively open freeway. I can't say for sure yet, but I got the feeling that the Viper is VERY fast! But I can't say for sure.

Aside from the above, I don't have much more info. I'll have to write more as time goes on. For my first impression, I would say that I would've just died for the Viper when I was a 20 year old maniac; not so much as a 35 year old lawyer. There's just NO WAY that you can drive this car daily and keep your sanity. I actually felt tired after I got out of it today! The Vette is a far more practical and well-rounded car. If the new Z06 can match the performance of the Viper and still keep its comfort, then it’s the only way to go.

I'll keep you all posted.
Vipers are ment to be like roadsters. If you expected a luxury car you would be better served with a Ferrari Enzo. The whole "Viper" experience is for real drivers who want to enjoy racing/driving. It is not ment to be a daily driver. The Z06 is more of a hybrid between a race car and a Lexus. It can be used as a daily driver, although I wouldnt play in the snow with it.
Most people that own Viper's usually own another vehicle for a daily driver.
Uncomfortable? Well compared to what? Vette's are far more comfortable and tame. Viper's are more like living on the wild side.
Old 04-28-2007, 12:45 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Give it a little time. Often times we learn to appriciate a car more and more as we get more seat time. And keep in mind how many people would do anything just to drive one, let alone park in their garage. Keep us updated!
Old 04-28-2007, 12:48 PM
ptindall
Team Owner

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Zan186
Vipers are ment to be like roadsters. If you expected a luxury car you would be better served with a Ferrari Enzo. The whole "Viper" experience is for real drivers who want to enjoy racing/driving. It is not ment to be a daily driver. The Z06 is more of a hybrid between a race car and a Lexus. It can be used as a daily driver, although I wouldnt play in the snow with it.
Most people that own Viper's usually own another vehicle for a daily driver.
Uncomfortable? Well compared to what? Vette's are far more comfortable and tame. Viper's are more like living on the wild side.
Didn't like that review? You should see what 5th gear and Top Gear from England have to say about it. "It is absolute rubbish!" Try not to punch your computer monitor when you see it!
Old 04-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Zan186
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ptindall
Didn't like that review? You should see what 5th gear and Top Gear from England have to say about it. "It is absolute rubbish!" Try not to punch your computer monitor when you see it!
Yeah, but you have to understand the Brit's. To a British guy who it is quite obvious their favoirte car is the BMW M6, and that if the car does not have Crumpet dispenser is just not worth more than a few beans!

I listened to those two tools bad mouth American Cars several times. They remind me very much of Consumer reports in that they do not rate the car by the category that they are in. A Viper is a race oriented sports car. Comfort is really not on the list. If I wanted comfort I would buy a Cadilac Escalade or a Jaguar.
When I buy a sports car I want great acceleration, top end speed, top of the line brakes and tires that grip the pavement. It is also nice to have a nice suspension and a short shifter.
Who really care's about the Crumpet dispenser, or cup holders in a sports car? Sorry, but to me if the car has cup holders it should be penalized for being in the sports car category. (Yes I know the Viper SRT has cup holders, it was a bad decision by dodge).

The car get's hot! The tire's Break lose at high RPM's.
Exactly the car has a monster engine , it should get hot!
Yeah the Tire's are gonna break lose with all that power, that is what makes the car fun to drive.

Bah the Brit's can take their Crumpet's and Tea and stick it where the sun don't shine!
Old 04-28-2007, 04:18 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Default Another Update

I had to pick a friend up from the airport early this morning so I took the Vette. SUCH a difference. I hate to say it, but it is slower than the Viper. I'm hoping that the Veraram B2 that's been sitting in my livingroom for the past week will help the Vette in that department once I get to putting it in; we'll have to see.

However the Vette's clutch engages so much better than the Viper; it’s also WAY more comfortable; and has room for a bag in the trunk. Another good thing about our beloved Z06 is that you have such better visibility. All in all, I think the Vette is a more classy car.

In either case, up to about 10 minutes ago, I had the top dropped on the Viper and was cruising down Montana Avenue having EVERYONE looking as I roared by in first. Then I took it to Pacific Coast Highway and opened her up a little. it was a little piece of heaven but for the worry about the highway patrol. The car runs like a thoroughbred. It's the quintessential muscle car at over 500hp and 500 lbs of torque and boy can it HANDLE. It's like driving a formula one; its grip and stability is UNBELIEVABLE!!! However, I still feel a little tired after driving it - I guess I haven't gotten used to it enough to be able to relax while I'm in it.

So my only problem now is figuring out which car to drive during the week. I suppose I could switch off - 2 days Viper, 3 days Z06; or maybe 3 days Viper and 2 days Z06. Then, when I get my Camaro finished (it's got a fully blueprinted and built 355 TPI bolted to 5 speed) I'll throw that into the mix too. Good thing gas prices are on their way up...

I'll write more as time goes on. All in all, the Viper and Vette are like apples and oranges. Or maybe more like oranges and grape fruit - whatever - they're different and yet somewhat alike is what I'm trying to get across. They're both incredible cars, but as a practice matter, I think that we can all agree that the Vette is very well-rounded and as such a more superior choice given it's performance and luxury combination. Because with a few aftermarket bolt ons, the Vette can EASILY meet or even exceed the Viper in performance (both handling and straight line acceleration) and still maintain its comfort, reliability, class and utility.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:22 PM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You may be 35, but have the attitude of a 70 year old. You so totally don't understand what a Viper is about. Hurt yourself getting in and out, rough ride....good lord. Get a Lexus. It's a kick *** sports car dude, not an interstate cruiser. Seriously, what an embarrassing attempt to pander to the forum. Real sports car enthusiests accept, respect and understand what a Viper is.

Last edited by PDCjonny; 04-28-2007 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
Zan186
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by PDCjonny
You may be 35, but have the attitude of a 70 year old. You so totally don't understand what a Viper is about. Hurt yourself getting in and out, rough ride....good lord. Get a Lexus. It's a kick *** sports car dude, not an interstate cruiser. Seriously, what an embarrassing attempt to pander to the forum. Real sports car enthusiests accept, respect and understand what a Viper is.
Wow a man who understands!

Talking about mod's! I am pretty certain that you can mod a V10 far beyond a V8 at the top end. It all comes down to displacement. A V10 is gonna give you more power availability than a V8. Twin Turbo's on a 510 cc stroker engine will give you far more power than you could dream of.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:31 PM
ESBESQ
Instructor

You know the difference between real sports car enthusiasts and me, I actually HAVE the Viper, I didn't just read about it in a magazine. And if I’m pandering by telling everyone, through first hand knowledge, that the Z06 is a far more practical and well-rounded car than the Viper, then I guess that’s what I’m doing - pandering to the forum.

However, don't get me wrong, the Viper is a great car; but it's still a street car and they should have built a little practicality into it - specially for the price that it's going for. You can have the same level of performance without it being so over the top. Not to mention the fact that it's extremely inefficient - 10 cylinders and only 505 hp. I could rig the Z06 with swaybars, tighter shocks and a supercharge for $8,500, tops; and not only would I out do the Viper, I'd still have better gas mileage as well as plenty of money left over. A friend of mine just had a bigger blower put on his Ford GT getting to around 800hp and that's basically the F-150 engine and a FORD for crying out loud.

Also, since I've been building cars and racing them since I was 16, I think I know what's necessary and what's excessive and needless, specially since I have the thing sitting in my driveway.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:05 PM
Crushinator
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Zan186
The whole "Viper" experience is for real drivers who want to enjoy racing/driving.
Having a Viper to 99.999% of the owners is nothing but a "look at me" statement and has absolutely nothing to do with racing/driving. Give me a break with your (professional driver/sports car man) attitude. You're on your first Viper and already your en expert. Please dude. Your posts are getting real old. Real drivers... So what are Corvette owners? Fake drivers? I used to own a Viper. Does that make me a fake/real driver? .
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 AM
PDCjonny
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

You know the difference between real sports car enthusiasts and me, I actually HAVE the Viper, I didn't just read about it in a magazine.
Owned them both, several in fact. Have had a brand new 02 coupe and a brand new 04 Z06. Still have a 98 Viper GTS (see profile). The Viper is pure fun. Got tired of the Z06 I had in three months. Have had the Viper almost three years now. Never get's old. Went to a car show yesterday, must have been 75 Vettes there, I was the only Viper. Parents, kids old and young taking pictures, asking about it, posing next to it. Jaw dropping looks, almost 500 HP, will dust any stock Vette (and just about everything else) except a new Z06 and it's almost 10 years old. What more can you ask for in a sports car?

Get notified of new replies

To 05' Viper vs. 03' Z06

Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 PM
u4ick
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned them both, several in fact. Have had a brand new 02 coupe and a brand new 04 Z06. Still have a 98 Viper GTS (see profile). The Viper is pure fun. Got tired of the Z06 I had in three months. Have had the Viper almost three years now. Never get's old. Went to a car show yesterday, must have been 75 Vettes there, I was the only Viper. Parents, kids old and young taking pictures, asking about it, posing next to it. Jaw dropping looks, almost 500 HP, will dust any stock Vette (and just about everything else) except a new Z06 and it's almost 10 years old. What more can you ask for in a sports car?
Not sure who's "stock" vettes you've been racing. You must have some modes if your 98 is 500hp.
The 4 vipers I've come up against (street racing) have all lost to me.
1 was a 97 when I was totaly stock, and all I've done since then has been Vara-Ram, cat back and a tune. Not positive on the years for the other 3 but still walked them all.

Vipers are more exclusive yes, and performance wise there are comperable to the C5Z, and that is where the comparison stops.
As a daily driver the vette is far more suited for that job than the Viper.
I have always admired the Viper on looks but am glad I have the vette.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 AM
ESBESQ
Instructor

will dust any stock Vette
Operative word is: "Stock." Uhhh, how much does the Z06 cost and how much does the Viper go for? Let's see, I'm not that good at math, but I'll bet that I'll be able to modify the Z06 to eat a Viper whole (even a non-stock Viper) with the difference in price and still maintain daily driveability, comfort and gas mileage. And of course, with only slight mods, the Z06 will be right up there with the Viper.

But hey, I'm not here trying to pander to the forum - my Viper is great and I'm enjoying it more and more everyday (absolutely LOVE the tight handling, it's like it's on rails); but let's call it for what it is: needlessly over-the-top. I mean, why are the peddles on top of each other? I was perfectly able to do the heel-toe on the Vette. Everything is so cramped - I'm starting to believe that the Viper was designed for heroin addicts - my back barely fits into the seats and my feet (or rather my shoes) are apparently to large. Also, the reason there aren't that many Vipers around is because not too many people want them. Most normal people who want a sports car will find the Viper to be a huge pain in butt to drive and those who can afford such a car also want a little practicality since it still is a street car.

All in all though, it's a very nice car and you're right, you do get a lot of attention in it - but I also get a lot of attention in my yellow on chrome Z06 and with better gas mileage too. Both the Viper and the Z06 are pretty rare cars on the street - at least out here; now Porsches and Ferraries, they're a dime a dozen which I think is:
Old 05-01-2007, 01:03 AM
ESBESQ
Instructor

Originally Posted by ptindall
Give it a little time. Often times we learn to appriciate a car more and more as we get more seat time. And keep in mind how many people would do anything just to drive one, let alone park in their garage. Keep us updated!

Thanks. It's a great performing car and it REALLY handles - far tighter and better than the Z06, I hate to say; and I am starting to enjoy it more and more; If I had my druthers, however, the one thing that I'd definitely change about it is the way the foot peddles are positioned. They're way too close together. Also, the clutch peddle sticks out more than the brake peddle which sticks out more than the gas and that makes it pretty hard on my feet and ankles. Although I'm sure that once I get the seat and peddle adjustment (the peddles can be moved forward or back) right, that problem my go away.

Otherwise, it's very cool. The gas mileage can also be improved upon; I'm already at a quarter tank after only 140 miles, but I suppose there are worse things, I mean heck, Super (91 octane in CA) was only $3.59 today - that's not too bad right. Thank god I kept the Z06, that's now my economy car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 05' Viper vs. 03' Z06