2004_Z06
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Z06 Skip Shift Eliminator Installation

I just bought a 2004 Z06 2 weeks ago. The 1-4 shift was annoying so
I bought the skip shift eliminator but I'm having problems locating the
connector on the tranny. There seems to be a heat shield over the
exhaust preventing me from seeing the connector on the tranny. Any
help would be appreciated. (The instructions that came with the kit does not have pictures.)
Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
HEB
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I don't think your looking forward enough on the drive train look for the drain plug on the tranny, on the driver side of the tranny up from the drain plug is a plug in connector that you disconect and plug the skip shift too. The fill plug is on the driver side close to it.

I was wrong the drain plug is on the pass. side The fill plug is first on the driver side
and the cags is right above it,its white. The drain plug has a wire connection, I assume its the temp. connection for the Z0-06 tranny.

Last edited by HEB; 05-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:06 AM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See this article...

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0212vet..._transmission/
Old 05-01-2007, 11:50 AM
2004_Z06
4th Gear

Thanks for updates...I'll check it again.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Holy crap.... I didn't know that...

You mean to tell me that if I buy an 01-04 Z06 and shift from 1st to 2nd at about 20mph it'll automatically go into 4th no matter what!?!?!

WTF!?

Arbi
Old 05-01-2007, 12:52 PM
GSjimbo
Pro

Originally Posted by bizzmeister
Holy crap.... I didn't know that...

You mean to tell me that if I buy an 01-04 Z06 and shift from 1st to 2nd at about 20mph it'll automatically go into 4th no matter what!?!?!

WTF!?

Arbi
No. It is activated based on acceleration basically - only becomes active at mild acceleration. You really get used to it but for the cost of the skip shift (CAGS) modual it's pretty easy to defeat; about $20. It really isn't a big deal; I drove my GS for over 2 years without one even though I had the CAGS eliminiter in the drawer all of that time!
Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

hahaha, I see but being as paranoid as I am, I know I'm going to have to eliminate that because it will drive me crazy lol.

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it. Was this some sort of sad attempt on Chevy's part to help with gas mileage or something ? lol
Old 05-01-2007, 03:36 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bizzmeister
hahaha, I see but being as paranoid as I am, I know I'm going to have to eliminate that because it will drive me crazy lol.

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it. Was this some sort of sad attempt on Chevy's part to help with gas mileage or something ? lol
Bizzmeister,
..You figured it out. GM did this for fuel economy reasons. The CAFE driving cycle is a very specific course with specific speeds for each section. The LSX engines get great mileage at low RPMs in the higher gears so GM had the idea to block the shift from 1st to second and spring load the shifter leading from 1st into fourth in certain situations that are like the CAFE cycle. It works when you have the water temp up above 169 or something and the throttle at moderate level. If the car is cold or you are accellerating rapidly or extremely slowly the CAGS does not activate and shifting from 1st to 2nd is not impeded. The CAGS is most annoying in city traffic where you cannot accellerate as quickly as you normally would and it kicks in and makes you shift from 1st to 4th. The good thing about this is that it allowed the Corvettes and F-Body cars to get good enough mileage on the CAFE cycle so that they do not get hit with the gas guzzler tax. It saves us some money buying the car. The CAGS bypass module is really simple to install but it is a little tough to get under the car and find which module it is the first time you are under there.
Jeff
Old 05-01-2007, 11:39 PM
Steve Theodore
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The light on the dash will still drive you nuts unless you get it tuned out!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:49 PM
bizzmeister
Racer

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by jclarksnakes
Bizzmeister,
..You figured it out. GM did this for fuel economy reasons. The CAFE driving cycle is a very specific course with specific speeds for each section. The LSX engines get great mileage at low RPMs in the higher gears so GM had the idea to block the shift from 1st to second and spring load the shifter leading from 1st into fourth in certain situations that are like the CAFE cycle. It works when you have the water temp up above 169 or something and the throttle at moderate level. If the car is cold or you are accellerating rapidly or extremely slowly the CAGS does not activate and shifting from 1st to 2nd is not impeded. The CAGS is most annoying in city traffic where you cannot accellerate as quickly as you normally would and it kicks in and makes you shift from 1st to 4th. The good thing about this is that it allowed the Corvettes and F-Body cars to get good enough mileage on the CAFE cycle so that they do not get hit with the gas guzzler tax. It saves us some money buying the car. The CAGS bypass module is really simple to install but it is a little tough to get under the car and find which module it is the first time you are under there.
Jeff

Thanks for the detailed write up. I knew it must have been for gas mileage

Arbi

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 Z06 Skip Shift Eliminator Installation

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2004 Z06 Skip Shift Eliminator Installation