Sponsored by:

[Z06] TPIS 90mm LS6 intake manifold

Old 08-28-2007, 11:10 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TPIS 90mm LS6 intake manifold

I thought this was cool.

You can send your LS6 intake manifold to TPIS and have it modified to accept a 90mm throttle body for $350 or to LPE for $369 . This was tested against a ported LS2 manifold and a FAST 90 at LPE and was only down 4hp from the FAST 90 on a 575 horse motor.

Here's a link to LPE's website with the dyno comparisons
http://www.lingenfelter.com/90mmintaketests.htm

This is a bargain. Anyone out there running one of these, what do you think?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:53 AM
TheSandman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm that's a ported LS2..not a ported LS6
Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheSandman
ummm that's a ported LS2..not a ported LS6
There are two dyno graphs the top one is a ported LS2 VS a Fast and the bottom a ported LS2 VS a 90mm LS6.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
C5Z
Instructor

Kick A$$, that may be worth looking into.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:03 PM
bullitt4110
Le Mans Master

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

How about a ported FAST? You can get another 8-15 rwhp from a port on a FAST over the stock FAST (gains depend on set-up and the actual port). This sounds like a good option thogh for someone that does not want to invest the money in the FAST intake.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:37 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

There is a little to be gained from porting the LS6 manifold too, but ultimately the FAST will produce slightly higher numbers. But to get close for $350 on something I already have seemed attractive, especially since I've already paid to have mine ported and matched to my heads.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by ctusser
There are two dyno graphs the top one is a ported LS2 VS a Fast and the bottom a ported LS2 VS a 90mm LS6.
i dont know what dyno graph your reading, but I dont see LS6 in either of them.

I see LS2, Fast, and TPIS.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:01 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
i dont know what dyno graph your reading, but I dont see LS6 in either of them.

I see LS2, Fast, and TPIS.
The TPIS intake on the 2nd dyno graph is the TPIS modified LS6 intake. Which is a stock LS6 intake manifold that has had the nose cut off and a 90mm nose put on to accept a 90mm throttle body. Hope this clarifies things

Edit: Here is a link to LPE website with the TPIS intake product description. On the page you will notice a Link to "Intake Manifold Dyno Test Results" which will direct you to the dyno comparison I gave in the first posting of this thread.
http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...Category_Code=

Last edited by ctusser; 09-02-2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add a link to product description
Old 09-15-2007, 11:38 PM
SoldmyWS64AC5
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the setup on my 388 all bore motor and now have it on my 454 LSX, we'll see how it goes. On the 388 with an MTI Z1 cam (mild) and good 317 heads it did 473rwhp through a nine inch on a mustang dyno. So I don't think it was hurting that is for sure. Its a nice peice and TPIS is top notch!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

There is a little to be gained from porting the LS6 manifold too, but ultimately the FAST will produce slightly higher numbers. But to get close for $350 on something I already have seemed attractive, especially since I've already paid to have mine ported and matched to my heads.
Keep in mind though that the LS6 you have, has a street value of $300-325. So if you add the modification cost the value of reselling your OEM part, you're at ~$650-700. If you keep your eye out, you can usually score a used, clean LSX for <=$750.

Plus you don't have a modified part which might be harder to sell than either a stock LS6 or a stock LSX! Heck, you could even sell your FRC's since they won't fit (though they can be modded pretty easily).

Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DT
Keep in mind though that the LS6 you have, has a street value of $300-325. So if you add the modification cost the value of reselling your OEM part, you're at ~$650-700. If you keep your eye out, you can usually score a used, clean LSX for <=$750.

Plus you don't have a modified part which might be harder to sell than either a stock LS6 or a stock LSX! Heck, you could even sell your FRC's since they won't fit (though they can be modded pretty easily).

Well, my LS6 manifold was already professionally ported and matched specifically to my aftermarket heads, so that may hurt resaleability (is that a word?) Plus a top tuner (to remain unamed) is having problems with the FAST manifolds leaking and causing fuel trim issues. So that tuner is using the modified 90mm LS6 where they used to use the FAST. The leaking issue is exacerbated with boosted applications. Since I've put the money into porting my LS6 and may consider F/I in the future it might be prudent for me to do the 90mm upgrade on mine since the difference in hp is minimal and it will prevent leaking.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:39 PM
DT
Le Mans Master

Well, my LS6 manifold was already professionally ported and matched specifically to my aftermarket heads, so that may hurt resaleability (is that a word?) Plus a top tuner (to remain unamed) is having problems with the FAST manifolds leaking and causing fuel trim issues. So that tuner is using the modified 90mm LS6 where they used to use the FAST. The leaking issue is exacerbated with boosted applications. Since I've put the money into porting my LS6 and may consider F/I in the future it might be prudent for me to do the 90mm upgrade on mine since the difference in hp is minimal and it will prevent leaking.
Hmmm, good info! Yeah, starting ported you're already ahead of the game a bit. I admit I have heard on some of the various LSx boards, tales of a leaky LSX intake here and there (nothing epidemic, but enough to notice).

Well cool, definitely post up pics, numbers, etc., if you go this route!

~DT
Old 03-07-2008, 05:45 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What throttle body is needed for these TPIS intakes, LS2? And if so is that a direct bolt-on throttle body for our cars or does it need modifications or harness or what?
Old 03-07-2008, 06:03 PM
mtm87tx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a good idea... but if i simply sell my LS6 intake and then use the 350 to convert to a 90mm im not much off of just buying the FAST
Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mtm87tx
sounds like a good idea... but if i simply sell my LS6 intake and then use the 350 to convert to a 90mm im not much off of just buying the FAST
I entered this post when I was on the fence about which manifold to use if I was to upgrade. I eventually went with the FAST and installed just last weekend. Most of the FAST leaking issues occur when running forced induction and I'm currently naturally aspirated, and even then I'm hearing leaks are the exception rather than the rule.

The FAST made a difference, below is a link to my post about that. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1956038

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS 90mm LS6 intake manifold

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] TPIS 90mm LS6 intake manifold