Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] My 16 year old takes the car to High school!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default My 16 year old takes the car to High school!

My 16 year old has straight A's so as a reward can drive the Z to school and take out friends in it. Since the 16 year old is a good driver so I think everything will be fine and be so popular!!

I love this forum!!

Last edited by CJR2; 09-05-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:09 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope you are kidding on this one...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:15 AM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe by herself, but with friends and showing off....hmmm why do I see something bad on the horizon.....All it would take is some other drive or too much gas .....Are you gonna be in a car behind her watching?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Stangar
Racer

Straight "A" students are never tempted to do anything bad. They never sucumb to showing off. They are always better drivers than anyone else. Most have the maturity of people in their 50's. I think letting her take it to school is a great idea. Any responsible mature adult would have the same opinion. I can't stop laughing at something so ridiculous.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:25 AM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

You know your daughter better than anyone.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:20 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 08-29-2007, 02:49 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by croberts232
My daughter has straight A's so as a reward she can drive the Z to school and take out friends in it. She's a good driver so I think everything will be fine. She'll be so popular!!

I love this forum!!
16 years old and daddy already knows she's a good driver...wow....IMHO I thinks its just down right stupid to let her.

Last edited by briann510; 08-29-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:08 AM
carnut101
Burning Brakes

ive said this many times... but hey no reason not to show it off one more time haha. im 16 years old. school starts on september 4th, and im going to be a senior. i dont remember the last time ive gotten a B. i've been #1 in my class. very very good chance i'll be valedictorian. i'll try to stay humble, but anyone who's seen my high school transcript is in shock and awe over its perfection. i have the highest GPA in the history of my school, and quite possibly the entire district. i was the first student in the history of my school to take calculus as a freshman. i was the first student in the history of my school to take an AP test as a sophomore (which, by the way, i received a 5 on). after 3 years of high school, i already have enough credits to skip one semester of college. i worked my *** off for as long as i can remember to save up for a car, and i managed to get a C5 Z06 at 16 (with the help of my parents, of course. i paid for about 2/3 of it).

fair to say that i earned it?

i'm probably one of the THE MOST restrained people you'll ever meet. it's probably even a bad thing how restrained i am.

that said, i REALLY REALLY hope you trust your daughter. in fact, trust alone isnt enough. you know all those times you've done something with the car and been like "damn that was stupid, i got lucky i didnt get in trouble." guess what? she'll do exactly the same things. it does matter how responsible she is, she WILL do something with the car. so its not a matter of if you trust her to drive safely. its a matter of whether you trust her with being smart WHEN she does something illegal.

by the way, she's not gonna be that popular. or at least that wasnt the case with me. theres so much envy in high school, its ridiculous. even with teachers. most teachers hate my guts. we have a decent amount of nice, quick cars in the school lot. its funny how any time the administration hears tire squealing coming from the lot, i get called in. one teacher claimed that he saw me doing a burnout as i left school. the only problem is that the time i left school, he was supposed to be in his classroom watching over his students (with no view of the parking lot). get used to a lot of this kind of BS.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:02 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

I say its a great IDEA and you do know your daughter best...but consider (Im sure you did) that the car has a lot of power and she prob only been driving in general a year or less. All I am saying is that she needs "experience" first. Would be a great idea to ride around with her first.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:24 AM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Wow, someone is on their soapbox... so thick you can actually walk on it.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
Zee916
Pro

Originally Posted by carnut101
ive said this many times... but hey no reason not to show it off one more time haha. im 16 years old. school starts on september 4th, and im going to be a senior. i dont remember the last time ive gotten a B. i've been #1 in my class. very very good chance i'll be valedictorian. i'll try to stay humble, but anyone who's seen my high school transcript is in shock and awe over its perfection. i have the highest GPA in the history of my school, and quite possibly the entire district. i was the first student in the history of my school to take calculus as a freshman. i was the first student in the history of my school to take an AP test as a sophomore (which, by the way, i received a 5 on). after 3 years of high school, i already have enough credits to skip one semester of college. i worked my *** off for as long as i can remember to save up for a car, and i managed to get a C5 Z06 at 16 (with the help of my parents, of course. i paid for about 2/3 of it).

fair to say that i earned it?

i'm probably one of the THE MOST restrained people you'll ever meet. it's probably even a bad thing how restrained i am.

that said, i REALLY REALLY hope you trust your daughter. in fact, trust alone isnt enough. you know all those times you've done something with the car and been like "damn that was stupid, i got lucky i didnt get in trouble." guess what? she'll do exactly the same things. it does matter how responsible she is, she WILL do something with the car. so its not a matter of if you trust her to drive safely. its a matter of whether you trust her with being smart WHEN she does something illegal.

by the way, she's not gonna be that popular. or at least that wasnt the case with me. theres so much envy in high school, its ridiculous. even with teachers. most teachers hate my guts. we have a decent amount of nice, quick cars in the school lot. its funny how any time the administration hears tire squealing coming from the lot, i get called in. one teacher claimed that he saw me doing a burnout as i left school. the only problem is that the time i left school, he was supposed to be in his classroom watching over his students (with no view of the parking lot). get used to a lot of this kind of BS.
Sounds like your school just pretty much sucks lol.

I'm sorry but there is not much better than seeing girls cruising in a bad *** sports car.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08
Default I wish this was a joke.

Guys, I hope you'll understand why I posted this. A thread was created a week ago about someone buying a 19 year old son a Z06.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1793272

As ridicules as that sounds, many people thought it was a good idea.I just wanted to see if the same support would be there if I let my 16 year old daughter take the car to high school.

I live in Southwest Ohio and we ended last school year with a 16 year old driver crashing his car at 70 mph into a tree, killing two 15 year girls, one on her 15th birthday. This summer there were at least 5 other teenagers killed in car crashes.

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/fre...6CD72&gsa=true

I love high powered cars but I love my kids more. She'll drive my vette (w/my supervision) after she's had a few years experience behind the wheel.

I hope I made my point.

Last edited by CJR2; 09-05-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
cchearn
Instructor

I think some of you get too carried away with your ideas on kids and cars. There are some very responsible kids out there. My son was 16 and I bought him an 01 coupe he was a Jr in high school. We never had any issues, tires, brakes, or anything that would show abuse. Now I will say some kids and teachers were jealous and made their comments. He was pulled over once because the cop thought it was strange that a kid was driving a vette and he was questioned and let go.

Now I guess the only thing that got to me was when he was 18 he came to me and wanted to sell the vette and go back to a truck. So we sold the vette and he went back to his 03 crew cab Dodge that I bought for him brand new at the age of 15.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:01 AM
2TONE82
Melting Slicks

Received 310 Likes on 133 Posts

It was the summer of 1982 when Frank Huey, Jackie McIntire and Jannie Hunnicutt went for a ride in Frank's new 1982 Corvette...yes, all three in the same car. They had the t-tops out and Jannie was driving along a country road - her first time driving a performance car. She strayed over the center line just a bit and over corrected...she lost control, car rolled, Jackie, sitting on Franks lap, was ejected and killed. Frank and Jannie walked away...they were all great kids, I can attest to that as they were my classmates...true stroy.

My 1982 yearbook even has a page dedicated to Jackie.

My now 17 year-old daughter and long time co-pilot of 2TONE82 knows this story well but when it comes down to it, she will have to decide when doing something dumb is right or wrong. My wife and I have done all we can...it's up to her. She drives a 2001 Mitsu Spyder GT, so far so good!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:17 AM
BonestockZ06
Drifting

I think is a good idea. As long as it's not my Z...
Old 08-29-2007, 09:20 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I would be more concerned that someone would vandalize the car at high school than I would be that she would wreck it.

By the way, I also have a 17 year old relative that either has no driving skills or just does not pay attention. He has had a parking lot accident, run off the road and rolled a car, and run into the back of someone. Needless to say, he no longer has a car.

I also have daughters that make straight A's, but do not seem to be able to avoid hitting stationary objects with a motor vehicle.

Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 08-29-2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:30 AM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I think my kids were to scared of me to drive my car.

I offered to let them autocross my 99 z28, But they weren't allowed to drive it until after they had done so. Neither of the older two took me up on the offer, My youngest will be driving soon, I'll probably offer to let him drive the Z, on a autocross course too, But probably no where else.

Get notified of new replies

To My 16 year old takes the car to High school!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:42 AM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
I think my kids were to scared of me to drive my car.

I offered to let them autocross my 99 z28, But they weren't allowed to drive it until after they had done so. Neither of the older two took me up on the offer, My youngest will be driving soon, I'll probably offer to let him drive the Z, on a autocross course too, But probably no where else.
I think Autocrossing would be an excellent place for young drivers to start, as they can learn car control under duress in a pretty safe environment.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:44 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

...maybe a professional school like BONDURANT would boost her skill level...
Old 08-29-2007, 01:41 PM
SFCA1968
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds great to me
she will remember that day the rest of her life
we need less safety rangers in this world
vettes were made to drive hard and have fun with

Quick Reply: [Z06] My 16 year old takes the car to High school!