Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:58 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

I tried to search this topic but had no luck. I would like to install an iPod interface in my '02 Z06 (does not have a CD changer) using the factory Bose head unit but am struggling to find the correct equipment.

I purchased an adaptor at Best Buy but after taking the console and factory Bose radio out discovered that the adaptor wants to couple up with what i think is the cable that would run from the head unit to the optional CD changer in the trunk which the Z06 does not have.

Do I need buy the cable that runs from the head unit to the CD changer from GM to be able to use the aftermarket adaptors?

What parts are needed for a car without a CD changer ala Z06?

Thanks for your help.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
mobius
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKLNHDE
I tried to search this topic but had no luck. I would like to install an iPod interface in my '02 Z06 (does not have a CD changer) using the factory Bose head unit but am struggling to find the correct equipment.

I purchased an adaptor at Best Buy but after taking the console and factory Bose radio out discovered that the adaptor wants to couple up with what i think is the cable that would run from the head unit to the optional CD changer in the trunk which the Z06 does not have.

Do I need buy the cable that runs from the head unit to the CD changer from GM to be able to use the aftermarket adaptors?

What parts are needed for a car without a CD changer ala Z06?

Thanks for your help.
ipod2car is the way i went works well...
Old 08-30-2007, 02:48 PM
JKLNHDE
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks - does the ipod2car plug into the back of the factory head unit with no other equipment? I assume you do NOT need to have a CD changer to use this?

Where can I purchase this? Thanks for your reply.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:42 PM
HONDAFIXER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Works perfect. Bought mine on that auction site
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 AM
1slo6
Pro

i had the same question.... i thought the Ipod to car needed to be used with a CD changer....but what if u dont have an Ipod but a different type of MP3 player.....? can u change the cable the comes out to the ipod2car....
Old 08-31-2007, 03:33 AM
mark896
Pro

Just make sure you don't get one off the auction site.. I got 2 and they both didn't work. Then I called Crutchfield, gave them the specs of my car, and they sent the RIGHT one, right away.

But the ipod2car product works awesome, the digital signal is definitely the way to go.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok I was struggling with this a couple of months ago, and finally got it worked out with sum help from the forum.
You should buy a Ipod to car, they work great, and the controls from the factory radio will work and will charge your ipod. If you dont have a changer you will need to buy this extra harness.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=952
When you recieve both, they will connect to the back of the radio and your jammin.
Here is a long thread from a lil while ago its a great read.
Install is really simple
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560980741
Nando
Old 08-31-2007, 08:10 AM
vettefamily
Instructor

I'm pretty sure Best Buy does not sell the adapter GMH20T that you need. One place in Houston I've found that does have it in stock is at--Installers.com their phone number is 713-626-7628.

http://www.installer.com/

Last edited by vettefamily; 08-31-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:34 AM
Moe Z
Advanced

FWIW, I just went to my local Wal-Mart and bought an adapter that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It powers my Ipod and sends the signal to my radio. So far I have not had any issues, the Ipod fits in my ash tray and plays great. I can take it out of my car and put it in any other vehicle I want...
Old 08-31-2007, 10:02 AM
bmg
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Ok I was struggling with this a couple of months ago, and finally got it worked out with sum help from the forum.
You should buy a Ipod to car, they work great, and the controls from the factory radio will work and will charge your ipod. If you dont have a changer you will need to buy this extra harness.
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=952
When you recieve both, they will connect to the back of the radio and your jammin.
Here is a long thread from a lil while ago its a great read.
Install is really simple
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1560980741
Nando
This worked for me also!
Old 08-31-2007, 12:25 PM
kirker912
Intermediate

If you don't want to buy the expensive cable for the cd changer you can get around it by doing a little splicing of wires. The wires you need are found under the passengers feet. I can get the color codes for you this evening if you are interested. I have done a couple cars this way now and it works great.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:33 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Moe Z
FWIW, I just went to my local Wal-Mart and bought an adapter that plugs into my cigarette lighter. It powers my Ipod and sends the signal to my radio. So far I have not had any issues, the Ipod fits in my ash tray and plays great. I can take it out of my car and put it in any other vehicle I want...

I tried this and thought it was junk, alot of ressitence and noise

Get notified of new replies

To iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)

Quick Reply: [Z06] iPod Installation for C5 Z06 (no CD changer)