Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Thoughts on the C5 z06, B&M Precision, C6 z06 shifters(I've had them all)...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM
03 Z-oh-6
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Thoughts on the C5 z06, B&M Precision, C6 z06 shifters(I've had them all)...

I started off with the stock C5 z06 shifter: long throws, mushy/sloppy, didn't like it at all.

I then switched to the B&M Precision shifter and noticed a huge difference with much shorter throws. The B&M was a lot more precise, too. It's a bit stiff and notchy, but much more precise than the stock shifter. It transmitted a fair amount of transmission noise, though.

While I had the B&M, I read a lot of raved reviews about the C6 z06 shifter. I liked my B&M, but read that the C6 z06 shifter was smoother, with shifts throws between the stock C5 z06 and the B&M(I could live with that).

I decided to order the C6 z06 shifter after much research. I installed in in 45 minutes and took the car for a spin. I immediately felt like I wasted my money. There was no noticeable difference between the stock C5 z06 shifter, in my opinion. I'm not saying there is not any difference, but none that I could really tell. The throws were long and mushy like the C5 z06 shifter. I thought since it was a "stock" shifter, it would transmit less transmission noise than the B&M, not the case, it's basically as noisy as the B&M. I took it off after 15 miles and sold it. I put the B&M back on faster than a speeding bullet, it really made me appreciate it this time around. How anyone could justify the C6 z06 being a whole lot better than the C5 z06 shifter is beyond me. To each their own.

Last edited by 03 Z-oh-6; 10-06-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:43 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DitchTehFish
......How anyone could justify the C6 z06 being a whole lot better than the C5 z06 shifter is beyond me. To each their own.
The important thing is that your happy with the shifter you finally settled on. No need to compare your shifter satisfaction with others. It's very subjective. I recently installed an '08 Z06 shifter and I'm completely satisfied. That doesn't make make it better or worse than yours. I'm happy with mine, your happy with yours. Whoo hooo, ain't we lucky!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
royski
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock shifter sucks

b&m here 02 zo6
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 PM
briann510
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the B&M and woudn't switch it out for another.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 PM
crazyv6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you guys. I have an aftermarket short throw shifter and I could not imagine a factory shifter matching the well designed aftermarket shifters.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:03 PM
mr-z
Burning Brakes

I started off with the stock C5 z06 shifter: long throws, mushy/sloppy, didn't like it at all.

I then switched to the B&M Precision shifter and noticed a huge difference with much shorter throws. The B&M was a lot more precise, too. It's a bit stiff and notchy, but much more precise than the stock shifter. It transmitted a fair amount of transmission noise, though.

While I had the B&M, I read a lot of raved reviews about the C6 z06 shifter. I liked my B&M, but read that the C6 z06 shifter was smoother, with shifts throws between the stock C5 z06 and the B&M(I could live with that).

I decided to order the C6 z06 shifter after much research. I installed in in 45 minutes and took the car for a spin. I immediately felt like I wasted my money. There was no noticeable difference between the stock C5 z06 shifter, in my opinion. I'm not saying there is not any difference, but none that I could really tell. The throws were long and mushy like the C5 z06 shifter. I thought since it was a "stock" shifter, it would transmit less transmission noise than the B&M, not the case, it's basically as noisy as the B&M. I took it off after 15 miles and sold it. I put the B&M back on faster than a speeding bullet, it really made me appreciate it this time around. How anyone could justify the C6 z06 being a whole lot better than the C5 z06 shifter is beyond me. To each their own.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:06 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I just installed my C6 Z06 shifter last night and drove it for the first time a few hours ago. Everything I read about it, I took with a grain of salt, because, like MIKER said, it is all subjective.

I had already shortened my stock shifter by about 1 1/4" and the C6 Z shifter felt no different than the stock, shortened shifter. I asked in another thread if the "box" that comes with the C6 Z shifter makes any difference in the feel, because all I changed was the shifter itself. I was assured that the shifter "box" made no difference.

With that said, I like the shifter. The angled rod makes a big difference in the positioning, I don't feel like I'm reaching for the upper gears now. The shifter **** feels much better than the C5 ****.

I would guess that most of the people that rave about the C6 Z shifter are going from the stock length shifter. There would be a big difference there.

Would I do it again? Probably not. I would cut the stock shifter where I shortened it and weld it back on, angled back like the Z shifter, probably with a little more angle. Then put an aftermarket shift **** on it.

All in all, it's a great mod to upgrade the stock C5 shifter and it is a direct bolt in. But, if you have the resources to do your own mods to the stock shifter, it can be made to function just as well for basically the price of an aftermarket ****. Just my .02
Old 10-07-2007, 12:23 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the newer B&M sport shifter and I love it! Short precise throws, and really not all that terribly notchy IMHO. It's also very quiet with it's isolated stick.

For those of you contemplating the C6 Z shifter, keep in mind that a lot of the improvement in that gen is due to changes in the gearbox. The shifter helps too, but it's not night and day like the B&M or Hurst.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:04 AM
slwhite
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am wary of any comparisons between the C6Z and C5Z where anyone says there is a huge difference. I am talking about anything and not just shifters. I read that there is a huge difference in handling, a huge difference in interior quality, a huge difference in fit and finish, etc. I just don't see it. Yes, I am sure that the C6Z is marginally better in those areas, after all it is a later model, but not huge. The only area that I can see a significant difference is engine power. No doubt about that. I am sure that if I paid $75,000 for a C6Z I might convince myself that there are huge differences, but there are not. After all, the C5Z was said to have excellent handling in its day. If that is true, how can the handling of the C6Z be immensely better? What would be the next superlative up from excellent?
Old 10-07-2007, 05:54 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slwhite
I am wary of any comparisons between the C6Z and C5Z where anyone says there is a huge difference. I am talking about anything and not just shifters. I read that there is a huge difference in handling, a huge difference in interior quality, a huge difference in fit and finish, etc. I just don't see it. Yes, I am sure that the C6Z is marginally better in those areas, after all it is a later model, but not huge. The only area that I can see a significant difference is engine power. No doubt about that. I am sure that if I paid $75,000 for a C6Z I might convince myself that there are huge differences, but there are not. After all, the C5Z was said to have excellent handling in its day. If that is true, how can the handling of the C6Z be immensely better? What would be the next superlative up from excellent?
you raise a very very good point... it seems when something new comes out,, we want to like it so much that we forget what came before and wax poetic on the new thing. However im totally in agreement,, the c5z is a superb car in every way and at virtually half the price now and less,,, really a great buy.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:55 AM
alanhang
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TheDVS1
I have the newer B&M sport shifter and I love it! Short precise throws, and really not all that terribly notchy IMHO. It's also very quiet with it's isolated stick.

For those of you contemplating the C6 Z shifter, keep in mind that a lot of the improvement in that gen is due to changes in the gearbox. The shifter helps too, but it's not night and day like the B&M or Hurst.

how much did it cost you and where did you buy it from, thanks,

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on the C5 z06, B&M Precision, C6 z06 shifters(I've had them all)...

Quick Reply: [Z06] Thoughts on the C5 z06, B&M Precision, C6 z06 shifters(I've had them all)...