C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System

Old 10-20-2010, 02:31 PM
HUSKER-Z
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

warren, is it an easy remove/replace? I'm ok with a screwdriver or torx screw set, but anything else, im screwed.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Warren GTS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HUSKER-Z
warren, is it an easy remove/replace? I'm ok with a screwdriver or torx screw set, but anything else, im screwed.
Relatively easy, there are six T20 Torx screws to take out. I have a Torx socket set but remember on a few of the screws that I had to go to Sears to get a T20 screwdriver 6" length as the socket was too thick to reach the screw. I believe I took off the air bridge intake, but I think it could be done w/o taking it off. There is some line or hose down there that also gets in the way, but you can gently bend it a little to get the screwdriver in position. It's all about finese, feel your way to the screws, and "gently" pry it loose from the seal using a flat screwdriver. The hardest part really is reaching over.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

If there was a comments space on this site, I would have to say this thread was very helpful.

Thanks all.

Mark.

My car had been throwing this code off and on for years. I'll clean the grounds first.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:56 PM
TimsDRMZ
Advanced

I just removed my EBCM and sent it off to absfixer. I got frustrated while trying to access a few of the lower screws on the EBCM so I took the hood off. I wanted to install a Vararam and do some spring cleaning anyhow, so taking the hood off just made things easier. I did run into a small issue getting the seal broken between the module and the block it is attached to. That metal is relatively soft and will dent/scratch/chip very easily.

All in all, I have been driving with the dead EBCM for two years now, as I have been too lazy to pull it off and send it away. Now that I have sent it off and reinstalled it, I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. Hitting "Reset" 3 times every time you start your car gets old and makes your precious car seem "broken" to passengers.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Well... I cleaned the ground (and they need it) and all seem well. Get in the car to move it this morning and (Ding Ding) it's back. It snowed this AM too, so it's (EBCM) is coming out and getting a ride in a UPS truck.

Mark.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:20 PM
fstfred
Cruising

HELP maybe someone can help me out my 2000 C5 did not come with any books or info to help me out i have a read out that says service traction sys and 2-codes 28-tcs c1295HC and 99-hvac B0333HC PLEASE can someone tell me whats up?
Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 PM
c119jumper
1st Gear

Have a 2001 C5 with 84K, wasn't driving it very much and allowed the battery to discharge down to 11.87 Volts. Everything else was working fine, but the ABS, Active Handling, and Traction warnings were being displayed constantly. Put the battery on a slow charge over night and brought it up to 12.5 volts. Test drove the car. Guess what? All the warnings disappeared all together. I was prepared to remove the EBCM and send it in for a $200 rebuild versus a $1600 quote from the dealer. The recharged battery fixed it. The EBCM must be very sensisitve to the correct voltage to work properly.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Todd L
Cruising

My 02 ZO6 has been doing this occsionally as well. I don't drive it much so it may be low battery. I got the car last June with a 3/36 from the dealer. Will the warranty cover diagnosis/repair?

It sounds like an easy fix but if I can get it done for free why not have them do it?
Old 04-05-2014, 04:14 PM
mtlvette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
Before you do anything else check the grounds for the EBCM. On the front left frame rail behind the headlight motor are a couple of ground terminals mounted on the frame. Make sure they are clean and tight. My car did the same thing. Before anything else, I checked and tightened the connections. The problem has gone away. Vettes are notorious for electrical problems relating to poor grounds due to having a plastic body. For any electrical problem, it is always a good idea to check the grounds first. It may not always be the problem, but it's a good idea before you start replacing parts. BTW, I did have the C1214 code, which is for the problem with the ECBM. Fixing the ground cured it.
I'm experiencing the same problem and would like to verify the grounds as well. now when you say to clean the grounds you mean the bolt that the connector is connected to or removing the harness from the connector and spray electrical cleaner in there?

Also when you say behind the left headlight motor do you mean on the driver side or passenger side?

Thx in advance
Old 04-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Moto One
Drifting

All said an done, I ended up sending my ABS module in to have the circuit board re soldered, then after a few months of peace the steering position sensor went bad. Replacing that was easier (DIY) then it looks. After three or four years of dealing with the warnings it's been good.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:01 PM
jdvette11
2nd Gear

Default All 3 service messages

I have a 2011 base model that has the same issue especially in raining condition or if I hit a bump. I have no way to replicate the issue, it just happens. I also sometimes feel a engine shudder and rpm drop while in idle but in gear. I think they are unrelated and dealers are having problems diagnosing because I have no codes. Help!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:01 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,205 Likes on 13,922 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I agree that you need to post this in the C6 Tech section.

However, I am moving this thread over to C5 Tech where it would be more appropriate for the C5 folks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service Active Handling, ABS, Traction System