Sponsored by:

[Z06] Headlight Door Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM
half-fast
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Door Problem

On 2003 Z06 — Four days ago I had a situation where I turned off headlights and quickly turned on the parking/marker lights. When I did that, the left headlight door came back open maybe half to 3/4 of the normal full open position, but was not lit up. I decided to try cycling the headlights back on again. When I did, the right headlight came up and on, while the left headlight went back down and stayed down. I turned them off, and the right headlight went off and down, while the left headlight remained off, but came part-way up again.

Through several on/off cyclings, when I turn the headlights on, they both come up and are lighted. But the left headlight goes down first and then back up and on. It's operated this way for the last couple of days. I've manually put the left headlight down, and when they come on, everything is okay, but again, when I turn them off the left one cycles too far to a partial open, but off position.

Does anyone out there have a clue as to what the fix is???
Old 10-20-2007, 10:52 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

i posted my thoughts to how to fix your problem in the other thread in c5 gen.

let me know if it solves the problem.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:59 PM
half-fast
Cruising

Originally Posted by jdmvette
i posted my thoughts to how to fix your problem in the other thread in c5 gen.

let me know if it solves the problem.

Looks like it has great potenial. I'll be getting into that tomorrow. I pm'd you about your solution.

Great flares on yours! Where'd those come from?
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

thanks!

they are from www.lewisfivemotorsports.com
Old 10-22-2007, 03:33 AM
half-fast
Cruising

Originally Posted by half-fast
Looks like it has great potenial. I'll be getting into that tomorrow. I pm'd you about your solution.

Great flares on yours! Where'd those come from?
The epoxy used with the brass gear install did not hold. Also, I noticed the frontmost nylon stop cover was getting chewed up. It appeared that linkage was operating in a plane that was too far away from the bracket that the motor mounts to.

I after removing the motor, and cleaning up the cover plate and the base it gets epoxied to, I epoxied again with 5 min. Loctite epoxy, and clamped it down for about 20 min.

When installing the motor back on the bracket I slipped a washer between the motor case and the bracket. Wasn't the easiest thing to do, but I figured doing this would move the motor shaft a bit more towards the middle of the car and allow the linkage to more properly contact the stops.

All seems to be operational again. I have a bit of a squeak when the light doors go down. Not sure why, but I'll investigate a bit tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Door Problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] Headlight Door Problem