C5 Z06 Nurburgring Lap times? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor Directory

C5 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS6 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

C5 Z06 Nurburgring Lap times?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
kbreese
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
kbreese's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,966
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default C5 Z06 Nurburgring Lap times?

I think I read that an 04 Z did it in 7:56, are there times for a 2001 Z06??
kbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
TEXHAWK0
CF Senior Member
 
TEXHAWK0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Longview Texas
Posts: 6,952
Thanked 151 Times in 113 Posts
Default

Not sure what the official best time is, but I saw one article where the 2002 Z06 time was in the 8:50 range.
TEXHAWK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
kbreese
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
kbreese's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,966
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

02Z @ 8:50?!? Than why did I see 7:56 for an 04? Thats a huge difference. I'd certainly think a C5Z would do a lot better than 8:50....
kbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
TEXHAWK0
CF Senior Member
 
TEXHAWK0's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2003
Location: Longview Texas
Posts: 6,952
Thanked 151 Times in 113 Posts
Default

More horsepower, better suspension, and maybe a better driver..
I think that 7:42 was a C6 Z06, with 500 HP.
The 2004 Z06 may have been the first to break the 8 minute mark.
Also, some times are standing start, and some are flying start.


Last edited by TEXHAWK0; 10-26-2007 at 10:01 PM.
TEXHAWK0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
kbreese
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
kbreese's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 2,966
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Default

the only difference in suspension is the shocks,right?
kbreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
ptindall
CF Senior Member
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 22,435
Thanked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Wikipedia used to list the C5Z06 at 7:56, but they took it down for some reason. Judging by the compitition, it's a really good time but reasonable. I could probably run 8:50 on my first lap. I would like to know the circumstances of the 7:56 time.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Z06DC
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa FL.
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Z06 suspensions were revised to improve cornering control without ride quality sacrifice. Changes included refined shock absorber valving, stiffer upper control-arm bushings, and softer rear anti-roll bar bushings. Perected at Germany's Nurburgring racetrack, the 2004 Z06 was able to break the 8-minute-per-lap barrier, an unofficial benchmark for supercars. (that came out of the corvette black book )
Z06DC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:07 PM   #8
Toque
Tech Contributor
 
Toque's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Wylie TX --> Less is More, except under the hood !
Posts: 19,933
Thanked 61 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06DC View Post
Z06 suspensions were revised to improve cornering control without ride quality sacrifice. Changes included refined shock absorber valving, stiffer upper control-arm bushings, and softer rear anti-roll bar bushings. Perected at Germany's Nurburgring racetrack, the 2004 Z06 was able to break the 8-minute-per-lap barrier, an unofficial benchmark for supercars. (that came out of the corvette black book )
You are correct.... It was the 2004 Z06 that broke the 8 minute marker at Nurburgring. GM specifically went there to break the 8 minute marker, and dialed in everything on the car to make it get there. Then they sold the 2004 Z06 with all that knowledge installed/dialed in

Toque
Toque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
vms4evr
CF Senior Member
 
vms4evr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2001
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 2,723
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

This is why every time the question comes up about whether to get Bilstein Sports, C6 Z06 shocks, or C5 Z06 (2004 version). I always say get the 04 Z06 shocks if your primary motivation is handling. I swapped out the 02 Z06 shocks for the 04 Z06 shocks. The difference is most definitely noticeable. More noticeable than what you will see with the bushing change they made.

I could have swore they also changed the rear leaf spring. Small but subtle change. Like 50lbs of spring rate difference. Then again my memory isn't what it used to be...

I'm not sure what type of alignment they used, whether they played with the ride height, and corner weighting. I don't believe they stated exactly what they tweaked in that area.
vms4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:33 PM   #10
Ryan L
CF Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 3,055
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

02-04z 7:56

Last edited by Ryan L; 10-26-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
wayneinvirginia
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
 
wayneinvirginia's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Fredericksburg Virginia
Posts: 1,371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
02-04z 7:56
Incorrect, not 2002 or 2003. For 2004 Z06 suspensions were revised to improve cornering control without ride quality sacrifice. Changes included refined shock absorber valving, stiffer upper control-arm bushings, and softer rear anti-roll bar bushings.

All 2004 Z06 Corvettes will benefit from the continual pursuit of performance enhancements that have characterized the C5 era. The enhancements for 2004 are subtle in terms of physical parts, but significant in terms of the car's performance and feel. GM engineers have refined the Z06's shock damping characteristics to provide improved handling in the most challenging conditions, while maintaining good ride control for the demands of daily driving. These refinements are a result of extensive testing and development, including several high-speed test sessions at Germany's famed Nurburgring circuit. Corvette Z06 is one of only a precious few cars to have broken the 8-minute barrier for lap times at Nurburgring. Corvette testing at Nurburgring isn't just about raw speed, as the Z06 provides plenty of that. Engineers gathered important learning on tuning the chassis to enhance the poise, confidence and smoothness of response, attributes that are of great importance under the severe demands of a 14-mile course that has approximately 170 turns and virtually constant elevation changes.
wayneinvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:39 AM   #12
ptindall
CF Senior Member
 
ptindall's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Picking on the weakest kid in the yard.
Posts: 22,435
Thanked 29 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vms4evr View Post
This is why every time the question comes up about whether to get Bilstein Sports, C6 Z06 shocks, or C5 Z06 (2004 version). I always say get the 04 Z06 shocks if your primary motivation is handling. I swapped out the 02 Z06 shocks for the 04 Z06 shocks. The difference is most definitely noticeable. More noticeable than what you will see with the bushing change they made.

I could have swore they also changed the rear leaf spring. Small but subtle change. Like 50lbs of spring rate difference. Then again my memory isn't what it used to be...

I'm not sure what type of alignment they used, whether they played with the ride height, and corner weighting. I don't believe they stated exactly what they tweaked in that area.

Okay, but do you know that the Bilstiens do not improve handling even more, only at a cost of ride quality over the '04s? I think they are stiffer. So better cornering and worse ride is possible.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
Steve Theodore
CF Senior Member
 
Steve Theodore's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: North Bend WA
Posts: 2,915
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

2 things about manufacturer based ultimate lap times at the Nurburgring Nordschleiffe:

1. All timed laps are flying laps to the best of my knowledge.
2. A complete lap isn't really a complete lap, as about 200m of the track doesn't count towards it:

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/...Nm_9e0429c.png

I learn something new about the Nurburgring everyday it seems.

Last edited by Steve Theodore; 10-27-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Steve Theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:43 AM   #14
l2vette
CF Senior Member
 
l2vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 1999
Posts: 1,848
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia View Post
Incorrect, not 2002 or 2003. For 2004 Z06 suspensions were revised to improve cornering control without ride quality sacrifice. Changes included refined shock absorber valving, stiffer upper control-arm bushings, and softer rear anti-roll bar bushings.

All 2004 Z06 Corvettes will benefit from the continual pursuit of performance enhancements that have characterized the C5 era. The enhancements for 2004 are subtle in terms of physical parts, but significant in terms of the car's performance and feel. GM engineers have refined the Z06's shock damping characteristics to provide improved handling in the most challenging conditions, while maintaining good ride control for the demands of daily driving. These refinements are a result of extensive testing and development, including several high-speed test sessions at Germany's famed Nurburgring circuit. Corvette Z06 is one of only a precious few cars to have broken the 8-minute barrier for lap times at Nurburgring. Corvette testing at Nurburgring isn't just about raw speed, as the Z06 provides plenty of that. Engineers gathered important learning on tuning the chassis to enhance the poise, confidence and smoothness of response, attributes that are of great importance under the severe demands of a 14-mile course that has approximately 170 turns and virtually constant elevation changes.
add the z16 carbon fiber hood and
l2vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
Ryan L
CF Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 3,055
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia View Post
Incorrect, not 2002 or 2003. For 2004 Z06 suspensions were revised
Let me guess, the Z16 will be even faster than a C6 Z06 because the hood is 10 lbs lighter.

Without copying and pasting from wikipedia or corvetteactioncenter, can tell you that there would not be a measurable difference at 'The Ring' between an 02/03 and 04 Z06 because the shocks were tuned 10% stiffer.

Please, think a little bit here.

2004 Z06 - 7:56

2006 C6 Z06, with 100 MORE HP, less weight, and a better suspension - 7:42.

That's only 14 seconds.

Once you are near the 8 sec mark, it takes alot to shave off time. I think it's safe to say that pretty much all of that 14 secs is due to the additional 100 HP.

So now we have the 02/03, which is essentially the same as an 04. Do you really think it's lap times would be any different with the same exact motor, HP, weight, spring rates, but a simple 10% change in damping rate? Of course not. I'll even step back to the 01 Z06. Even with 20 less HP, I'd bet it would still be close to the 8 sec mark with the same driver.

Maybe I'll put '04 Z06 shocks on my old Mustang and pull 10-sec quarter mile times since they seem to be the epitome of supercar performance.

Last edited by Ryan L; 10-27-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
BlackZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BlackZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: San Rafael CA
Posts: 4,933
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
Let me guess, the Z16 will be even faster than a C6 Z06 because the hood is 10 lbs lighter.

Without copying and pasting from wikipedia or corvetteactioncenter, can tell you that there would not be a measurable difference at 'The Ring' between an 02/03 and 04 Z06 because the shocks were tuned 10% stiffer.

Please, think a little bit here.

2004 Z06 - 7:56

2006 C6 Z06, with 100 MORE HP, less weight, and a better suspension - 7:42.

That's only 14 seconds.

Once you are near the 8 sec mark, it takes alot to shave off time. I think it's safe to say that pretty much all of that 14 secs is due to the additional 100 HP.

So now we have the 02/03, which is essentially the same as an 04. Do you really think it's lap times would be any different with the same exact motor, HP, weight, spring rates, but a simple 10% change in damping rate? Of course not. I'll even step back to the 01 Z06. Even with 20 less HP, I'd bet it would still be close to the 8 sec mark with the same driver.

Maybe I'll put '04 Z06 shocks on my old Mustang and pull 10-sec quarter mile times since they seem to be the epitome of supercar performance.
Uhhhhh dude ..... that is 7 MINUTES 56 SECONDS .... the Nordschleife (Northern Loop) is 13.7 MILES in length (22km) so, yes, shocks, vehicle weight, and HP do make a BIG difference ...

The Nuburgring is a road course (literally) ... not a "drag strip".

Last edited by BlackZ06; 10-27-2007 at 10:04 AM.
BlackZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:15 AM   #17
Ryan L
CF Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 3,055
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZ06 View Post
The Nuburgring is a road course (literally) ... not a "drag strip".
Obviously.

The last part was a joke. I also heard '04 shocks cure cancer as well.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #18
BlackZ06
CF Senior Member
 
BlackZ06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: San Rafael CA
Posts: 4,933
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
Obviously.

The last part was a joke. I also heard '04 shocks cure cancer as well.
The 04 shocks may not cure cancer ... but they are significantly better than the prior Z06 shocks. Where you will feel the difference the most is in turns where the car's suspension is unloaded ..... that is, a turn at the top of a hill. A specific example ..... Buttonwillow Raceway turn "Lost Hill" (also known as "Space Mountain") ... as you are cornering you go up a steep incline and the corner continues as you crest the "hill" and continues down the other side. With my ZO6 2001 shocks the car feels as if it is "floating" above the wheels as you crest the hill and drop down the other side .... ..... with the 2004 Z06 shocks the car feels as if the wheels are firmly attached ... I can go through that same corner AT LEAST 5 mph faster with the 04 shocks, and then there is a long straight run after the corner so I have at least a 5 mph advantage all down the straight too .... makes a BIG difference to lap time.

Same thing at the "Corkscrew" at Laguna Seca, I can get through the corners and down to turn 9 significantly faster with the 04 shocks just because the car feels much more "settled" on the suspension, giving me a much better SOTP feel for the cars handling.

BlackZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
wayneinvirginia
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
 
wayneinvirginia's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Fredericksburg Virginia
Posts: 1,371
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZ06 View Post
The 04 shocks may not cure cancer ... but they are significantly better than the prior Z06 shocks. Where you will feel the difference the most is in turns where the car's suspension is unloaded ..... that is, a turn at the top of a hill. A specific example ..... Buttonwillow Raceway turn "Lost Hill" (also known as "Space Mountain") ... as you are cornering you go up a steep incline and the corner continues as you crest the "hill" and continues down the other side. With my ZO6 2001 shocks the car feels as if it is "floating" above the wheels as you crest the hill and drop down the other side .... ..... with the 2004 Z06 shocks the car feels as if the wheels are firmly attached ... I can go through that same corner AT LEAST 5 mph faster with the 04 shocks, and then there is a long straight run after the corner so I have at least a 5 mph advantage all down the straight too .... makes a BIG difference to lap time.

Same thing at the "Corkscrew" at Laguna Seca, I can get through the corners and down to turn 9 significantly faster with the 04 shocks just because the car feels much more "settled" on the suspension, giving me a much better SOTP feel for the cars handling.


Wow Ryan,

That sounds like first hand seat of the pants information backed up with actual mph gains. Or are you going to refer to this as another cut and paste job.

Contrary to your opinion cars do get refined from year to year and every little refinement makes the car a little better. I am not saying that the 2004 Z06 is head and shoulders better than the 2002-03 but there is documented evidence that the suspension changes did improve the car for 2004. And the 10lb weight loss on the carbon fiber hood of the Z16 isn't a huge number it is still a loss. The real point of making that hood, as I have heard it, was as a test bed to find the best way to produce carbon fiber panels for the C6 Z06.
wayneinvirginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:56 AM   #20
Ryan L
CF Senior Member
 
Ryan L's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2006
Location: Jax Florida
Posts: 3,055
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneinvirginia View Post
I am not saying that the 2004 Z06 is head and shoulders better than the 2002-03 but there is documented evidence that the suspension changes did improve the car for 2004.
I agree with you that the suspension changes were intended to improve the car in some way, but my point is that the 04 should not be measurably faster than 02/03.

The changes, while being postive, are minimal between the models (as proven in the copy/paste above). People on this forum are obsessed with the cars they paid money for and love to pick everything apart to somehow get the 'one-up' on the next guy to make them feel better about their purchase. The fact of the matter is that there are too many variables to say A is better than B when the cars are so perfectly matched. For 100% of people outside this forum, they will be safe to say that they are the same and the 7:56 time can be quoted for the cars.

If you are still not convinced, read my post above about the C6 Z06 times. If 100hp can only net 14 secs, I'm sure only a 10% damping change in a shock will net much less than 1 sec (aka, immeasurable).
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C5 Z06 Nurburgring Lap times?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    wtb wheels for my c6z mc6z06 C6 Parts for Sale/Wanted 0 03-05-2016 11:10 AM
    Price for late model Z06s etekberg C6 Z06 Discussion 7 05-17-2015 01:13 PM
    Which is quicker after timing pull Z06 stick or z51 A8 Warship2k15 C7 Z06 Discussion 23 12-14-2014 01:33 PM
    Trade-in value z51vett C7 Z06 Discussion 11 12-10-2014 12:24 PM
    C5 Z06 to C6 Z06 Medrivfast C6 Z06 Discussion 16 11-11-2014 01:46 PM


    Tags
    2002, 2002z06nurburgring, 2004, c5, corvette, jan, lap, magnuson, minute, nurburbring, nurburgring, run, setting, time, times, z06

    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 AM.