Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Service ABS System, Service Traction Control System

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
BCAM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great information. I started reading up on the abs system on absfixer.com. Parts breaking always yields an upside and downside; at least to me. The downside is obvious and the upside is getting to learn something that I would not have otherwise learned.

Anyhow, I'm going to check the grounds this weekend. It is currently nasty, rainy, wet, icy, etc here in lovely DC..
Old 03-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Tom Steele
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
With a C1214 set, the EBCM is almost completely non-functional. The EBCM is unable to control the BPMV, which means that all of the EBCM functions that require it to control brake line pressure are disabled. This means you have no ...

ABS - Anti-lock Brake System
TC - Traction Control
AH - Active Handling
DRP - Dynamic Rear Proportioning
RSC - Rear Stability Control (2001 and later)

The EBCM continues to monitor/control your MAGNASTEER system, as it uses a different solenoid to control that system.

Basically you are driving a car from the 1960 era .... you have a brake system that works, but your foot is completely in control. There are no "nanny" aids such as ABS to come to your assistance in an emergency. Another way to look at it .... when/if you remove the EBCM and send it to absfixer ..... the car will drive the same (almost - steering effort may feel different) with the EBCM removed as it does today with a "disabled" EBCM. ALL of the above functions are COMPLETELY disabled.

The EBCM is basically a computer, it has no "mechanical" capabilities. The BPMV is a mechanical device that is able to either increase pressure in a brake line, or decrease pressure in a brake line, but it has no "brain" within itself that decides when to change the pressure in a brake line. The EBCM is the "brain" that controls the "dumb" BPMV. The C1214 simply indicates that the EBCM no longer has the ability to control the BPMV. Once the EBCM realizes it cannot control the BPMV, it sets the C1214 and "disables" (shuts off) all of the functions it controls through the BPMV.

Great post. I will confirm that the steering will feel different with it removed. I drove about two weeks with it off and just put the fixed unit on from ABS FIXER and immediately noticed that I had full power steering back.

It is quite driveable with the EBCM off, and you really only notice the power steering difference in parking lots.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:00 PM
msu-dawg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackZ06
.... turn on your A/C and you are "requesting" A/C ... it is ultimately the PCM that decides whether or not it is willing to turn on the A/C compressor, and it is programmed to "throttle up" the engine as the A/C compressor comes on-line so that you don't feel that "hesitation" as the compressor clutch engages.
I'm reading through this thread due to getting the service ABS/TC message with code for RR speed sensor (coincidentally I just let the dealership fix that problem and it was fine for about 3 weeks). Anyway, I came across this point about the fact the PCM controls whether or not to turn on the A/C and wanted to point out that my 1989 Ford Probe did the exact same thing. The electronic A/C control sent request to the PCM via a ground and the PCM provided the ground to the A/C clutch relay while idling up the engine. Irrelevant to this post, I know but I couldn't help pointing this out.

Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm going to finish reading post and will take a look at the connector on the RR wheel speed sensor as soon as I have time. Sounds like checking/cleaning grounds could be a good thing as well.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:36 PM
ZO6crazy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BCAM
I realize that this has been brought up a number of times.
The search also showed that this was usually an electrical malfunction.

My story:
2002 Z06 Stock save 1 c6z06 shifter
Conditions: *Roads wet*, overcast out

Taking a friend for a ride and I entered a slow corner/chicane in first gear and gave it about 50% throttle. The tail hopped and the subject line appeared on the information screen on the dash. I immediately let off and pulled over, restarted, etc. The car still drives and accelerates normally. However, if I cause a condition that would normally initiate the traction control (80% - 100% throttle/1st or 2nd gear), the rear end responds with quite a bit of wheel hop.

I am new to the Corvette community (over from Subaru (STI)), and am not yet entirely familiar with the beast. The problem seems mechanical. What happens when this error comes on? Is the traction control malfunctioning or is it in a limp mode (if you will)? Is it possible that the conditions of the road and the wheel hop confused the traction/abs systems and it simply needs to be reset?

Please advise, thanks guys!
Same message. Dealer replaced a sensor in the steering column. Cost almost $500...... Ouch...!
Old 08-13-2008, 11:20 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, so here I am at 11:15 at night and just got my 09 delivered a few hours ago. Drove it ONE MILE and the T/C and ABS lights come on and say they need service. The car has 8 miles on it.
Nice start GM.............Anyone have any ideas???
Old 08-14-2008, 10:34 PM
msu-dawg
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BSE1956
OK, so here I am at 11:15 at night and just got my 09 delivered a few hours ago. Drove it ONE MILE and the T/C and ABS lights come on and say they need service. The car has 8 miles on it.
Nice start GM.............Anyone have any ideas???
I won't even pretend to be smart compared to many on this forum, but it seems to me that there's only one obvious answer here...... take it back to wherever you bought it and tell them to fix it.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Service ABS System, Service Traction Control System