[Z06] Help!!! WTB Z06, but I live/work in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:19 PM
NJ Mooch
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! WTB Z06, but I live/work in Germany

Hello from Germany,

I want to ask all of you for help. I am looking for a C5 Z06 but have run into some problems. Here is the basic info on me to help you understand my situation.

1. Currently stationed in Germany
2. I can have a car shipped here for free
3. Car must pass US/German inspection
4. Autobahn driving everyday
5. This will be my daily driver
6. I have a local drag strip, Bitburg
7. I have a local road course, Nurburgring
8. Worked on cars for 17 years
9. I'm learning as much as possible about the C5s
10. Had a 95 MN6 coupe and 96 Impala SS, I like Chevy's!!!
11. I'm 33

Now that you know a few things here are some questions I have.

1. Should I buy a:
a. stock Z06
b. lightly modded, i.e. bolt-ons/tuning
c. heavy mods, i.e. forced induction/new drivetrain

2. What year has the least problems? i.e parts failing prematurely

3. I won't be able to see the car before I buy it, so who do you think I should buy from?

I have already contacted a few people about a used Z06 and got great feedback. I just want to make sure I buy a great ride and not someone's hooptie. Not seeing the car beforehand is a problem but I can't work around it unless I fly back to the states. I don't see that happening until next year.

Any help you can offer me will be greatly appreciated. If any of you know some dealerships in Europe please let me know. I know the dollar is very weak vs. the euro, so i'm looking for a sale in the US if possible. Since I will register the car in Germany I pay no sales tax, well that is what I was told since I don't pay any sales tax on cars sold here.

Once again, any help will make me much happier and being behind the wheel of a Vette again will make my time here even better.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Zee916
Pro

Well, this is the time to buy for sure.

I would find a car and then post here and try to have someone in that area who knows what they are looking for go take a peak at the car for you.

I would not purchase a car without having a reference at all.

Since you are long distance, it might not be a bad idea to pay for a shop to inspect the vehicle if you get serious about it.

As far as the mods, I am a FIRM believer in if your going to mod it, buy modded. Unless you like building the car your own way, the price savings could be between 50-75% depending on the parts.

Most people associate the 02-04 cars as the "better" ones. 01's are just fine.

Z
Old 03-07-2008, 04:42 PM
stlchevy97
Pro

google "carchex"

they have packages starting at 99 dollars where you get a carfax report and a professional goes and test drives/performs a 151 point inspection, takes pictures and sends you a report via email on the quality of the car. i have heard good things and would of used them but i found a z06 closer to me. how do you like germany? im trying to get out there when i re enlist
Casey
Old 03-07-2008, 06:23 PM
SJSZ06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First, Thank you for your service.

Sound advice from all.

When I was looking for a Z - I decided to get an 02.. I wanted the 405 HP (just sounds better than 385, and it's on the badge), and the HUD - no HUD on the 01's.
03's and 04's were just a bit out of my price range as I wanted lower mileage (less than 24000 when I bought it).

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say buy the best car that you can for the money you have available. What do I mean by that? Some things I'd consider -- low mileage, newer rather than older, well cared for, garaged, no major problems in its history, one or two owners. As far as modding, I'd avoid a highly modded car. It's not an absolute, but chances are if someone is modding for high HP, they are either racing the car or driving it hard. Try to find a car that hasn't been raced, if possible.

Most importantly, have the car checked out by a mechanic you can trust. You might want to have a friend or family member check it out for you and act as your go-between to make sure that the car is legit and that you don't get ripped off in the deal, since you are overseas.

Good luck with the search and hope you find a good one. There are a lot of them out there, so don't feel you have to compromise. Wait for the one that is right for you.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:39 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

My only suggestion would be, depending on how much Autobahn driving you will do (and how fast ), is that you consider adding some additional coolers - oil/diff/trannie. Good luck and enjoy, although I hear the traffic there is much worse than in years gone by....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:24 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Friend just brought back a mint 03 Z fron the states, and raving about who he bought from. Check em out.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1961765

Also go here >>> http://www.corvetteforum.de/
Lots of english spoken here, as Germans are Vette crazy!

Frank
Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 AM
NJ Mooch
2nd Gear

Thank you very much for all the info you have offered. I was thinking along the lines of getting a low mileage car with little or no mods since I enjoy installing mods at home. I have to wait another few weeks before the finance dept gets squared away, i'm also house hunting and have to buy new furniture and stuff like that, but i'm getting a Vette since that has been part of my budget.

The carchex idea sounds great as well as getting a member or two to check the car out for me. Conte's has some nice rides so i'm giong to keep tabs on that site. Thanks for the link to the story about that place as well.

I was a member on this site years ago when I had my 95. I lived in central NJ at the time and remember all the Corvette racing at E-town and Atco. I really miss those days, but I don't mis the cost of living in NJ. I am sure that I know some of you from the track but it has been years since I seen any of you. I raced my Impala SS more then the Vette but both of those cars made my very happy.

Thanks again for the help, and if there are any other ideas that you can share please do so.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:33 AM
g1k05
Instructor

i have to tell you... since you have all those awesome places to drive... i would definitely buy a car with a new clutch. im sure the autobahn and nurburgring can do heck on a stock clutch... id also look for a car with a remote clutch bleeder. mods? id go lightly modded, maybe a cam or heads/cam car. but id look for a clutch, since you are all the way over there. dont know if they have good LSX shops over there or what.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:17 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

I'd buy a low mile Z06 from this board off a Corvette enthusiast that has a good repore with other members that can verify the car and its condition. Wire the seller the money and after you and the seller can work on the shipping.

Buying from a dealer or other online sale websites you never really know what youre getting into.

Since youre so far away from any Chevy dealer I'd buy the newest and lowest mile Z06 I could afford so hopefully I'd get the most trouble free miles possible.

Good luck with your hunt.

Get notified of new replies

To Help!!! WTB Z06, but I live/work in Germany

Quick Reply: [Z06] Help!!! WTB Z06, but I live/work in Germany