Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 11:07 AM
CALVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Picture of bra on Z06

This a picture of the bra I had made for my Z06.
It started out as a GM bra, we left in the plastic around the lights and sewed in straps to allow the bra to fit right.

[Modified by CALVette, 7:11 AM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 12:57 PM
GMCZ
Cruising

Default Re: Picture of bra on Z06 (CALVette)

That looks pretty good... I had no idea how good a bra can actually look on these cars. I didnt even notice it on this one: http://people.clemson.edu/~jpicken/A...4-0436_IMG.jpg

from a distance it just looked like a piece of the car.

[Modified by GMCZ, 11:57 AM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-14-2001, 02:56 PM
BobbyD
Instructor

Hi, I'm a 2002 c5 and trying to determine if I should bra it. It's a daily driver. So far I've heard, if they get wet, dry them out, seems can rub the paint and paint damage is what I'm trying to protect from, and they get dirt in them and can scratch the paint. For a daily driver, is it worth the effort? I probably won't drive it in the rain unless I got caught. The GM bra the way to go or are others better? I'm not that hung up on cost if it works better.
Old 12-14-2001, 03:44 PM
Corvette SSX
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Re: Picture of bra on Z06 (BobbyD)

Hi, I'm a 2002 c5 and trying to determine if I should bra it. It's a daily driver. So far I've heard, if they get wet, dry them out, seems can rub the paint and paint damage is what I'm trying to protect from, and they get dirt in them and can scratch the paint. For a daily driver, is it worth the effort? I probably won't drive it in the rain unless I got caught. The GM bra the way to go or are others better? I'm not that hung up on cost if it works better.
I only use mine if I'm taking the car on a long run or to a show. I wouldn't leave it on for everyday driving. Too much chance of getting the bra wet (at least in Houston).
Old 12-14-2001, 07:46 PM
z06dailydriver
Racer

Default Re: Picture of bra on Z06 (CorvetteSS)

WEll here is my story. I drove a 95 Vette Black for four years with a bra on it. The reason. I'm on the road early in the morning competing with sand and rock dump trucks at highway speed. There is sand on the road that is abrasive. We also have these things called Love Bugs that when splattered on your paint the remains start etching your paint in 48 hours. No kidding - the insects have some sort of acid in them. These bugs show up twice a year.

My trip is 60 miles round trip each day. I had no water damage on my paint as a result of the bra, but then again it is mostly warm here and any water in the bra would dry out within hours. There was some wear from the straps that hook around and inside the fender wells. But my personal preference would be to havae edge wear over an ugly front end scarred from rocks and bug snot.

I have one on my Z06 with only one complaint. The passenger side headlight cover keeps peeling off. I can't seem to be able to reach Colgan who made the bra for a fix, but I will let the board know how I progress with Colgan. I have a Colgan Bra on another car and it has lasted for 5 years. By the way same experience on the other car, except there is a wear line across the hood. I can live this until I sell the car at which time I will have it buffed out.

Only caution is keep it clean and free of debree and abrasive materials
Old 12-14-2001, 11:48 PM
WB6HRO
Racer

Default Re: Picture of bra on Z06 (z06dailydriver)

Just drove my Z06 back from Bowling Green last month 2,100 mile trip, with GM Bra installed. Went through rain from Amarillo to Alburqueque. Got home washed car and Bra, no damage! I think that the wet issue is more from grit getting under it, or if it doesn't dry and mildews.

[Modified by WB6HRO, 7:49 PM 12/14/2001]
Old 12-15-2001, 02:16 AM
Z06-Goose
Melting Slicks

I've never had a bad experience with bras.
For a Corvette, has anyone tried the clear bra for the front and the headlights? If installed professionally it will be hard to notice, plus it'll give you protection year around. Good stuff in my opinion.
Old 12-15-2001, 04:01 AM
SMFCPACFP
Safety Car

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

It looks like you did a great job, but I am still of the opinion they are sand collectors for sanding your car finish where the sand is trapped.

Where you really need a bra on a Z06, is just forward of the rear wheel wells around and below the brake cooling duct inlet. The wider than body tires will kick up stones and destroy that area. Go out and take a look at that area of your car. :cry

[Modified by SMFCPACFP, 2:02 AM 12/15/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Picture of bra on Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] Picture of bra on Z06