Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Spark Plug Wire Question.. MSD & KOOLSOX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Spark Plug Wire Question.. MSD & KOOLSOX?

I just bought a set of MSD plug Wires and KoolSox Set..
I started installing them and I have a question..
I have Long Tube Headers & Currently have the Original Stock Plug wires with shields still installed.. My Stock Wires and Heat Shields do not come in contact or touch the headers! With my new set up. (MSD Wires with Koolsox installed) They touch some of the header pipes. Now I know Koolsox are to protect against heat, but is it ok that they're making direct contect with the headers? Or should I scrap this set up and buy the GM Hot wires and use the original heat sheilds with out koolsox.. thanks in advance..
Old 05-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Millenium Z06

Received 312 Likes on 246 Posts

I'm using MSD wires and koolsox with LG Pros and have no problem. I really probably don't even need the koolsox but since I bought them with the headers, I used them. The MSD wires don't get close to the headers at all and the stock wires didn't either, I just broke a couple during the header install and had to get a new set. Otherwise I'd still be using the stockers. The Koolsox will not burn if they are in contact with the headers, they will discolor a little but thats all. If you put them on right they really shouldn't be close to the headers. What headers do you have?

Last edited by Millenium Z06; 05-27-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
kerryt1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard one example of negative dyno results from MSD wires. However, I'd probably say it was in the noise.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same setup on my '03 Z, but without the LT headers -- MSD and Koolsox. No problem with them contacting the stock headers. They touched in a couple of places, but didn't hurt the Koolsox at all. IMHO, if you can keep the wires even a few degrees cooler, it's worth it.

Get notified of new replies

To Spark Plug Wire Question.. MSD & KOOLSOX?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Spark Plug Wire Question.. MSD & KOOLSOX?