Sponsored by:

[Z06] Problems with windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 05:15 AM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with windshield replacement

Had a new windshield installed by the local corvette dealership here in Germany. Unfortunately not the most experienced one, when it comes to working on C5 Corvettes as they made a total mess out of my car and damaged most everything they removed for the install.
Anyway I gave them my VIN number and made sure that the correct part number was ordered for my ’02 Z06 with Hud. The PN that was ordered is 10315114. That is also the part number that arrived at the dealership. It is supposed to be the thinner 4.8mm glass for HUD equipped cars.
The glass looks the same as the one pictured below except for the 4.8mm remark. I know my old windshield also had the 4.8mm remark too.

I’m worried now that somehow I did not receive an actual thinner windshield due to the missing info on it. I just don’t get it, the part number is the correct one, but the 4.8mm marking is missing. So, is this a regular thicker C5 windscreen?
Does anyone have info, if the thinner windshields don’t necessarily have to have the 4.8mm marking? ?
The next thing is, they damaged most everything they removed in order to install the new windshield (eg. window seals!). Luckily I noticed that before picking up the car. They gonna replace the broken window seals as far as they told me yesterday. The problem now is, since they really screwed it up, I don't trust they install work at all anymore. I'm fearing that the new windscreen will leak due to poor install work. Is there any way at all for me, to make sure that the work was done properly ?
Appreciate your help, the dealerships here in Germany make my life miserable. :
Thanks for your help.
Alex

Last edited by EBM_Z06; 06-21-2008 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

sounds like you got the normal C5 windscreen.. not the Z06 unit.. it should say 4.8mm on it..
Old 06-21-2008, 09:45 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Can you take a photo of the actual manufacturer's stencil on the windshield they installed so we can do a little research for you? Have you viewed your Head-up display with the new windshield? Does it appear to be clear and bright?

Don't let them do all the repairs, until you resolve whether you have the correct windshield ... no sense having them destroy it again.

Good luck and post the photo of the actual windshield logo and info stenciled on the windshield.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:38 PM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Wanderer
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. Can you take a photo of the actual manufacturer's stencil on the windshield they installed so we can do a little research for you? Have you viewed your Head-up display with the new windshield? Does it appear to be clear and bright?

Don't let them do all the repairs, until you resolve whether you have the correct windshield ... no sense having them destroy it again.

Good luck and post the photo of the actual windshield logo and info stenciled on the windshield.

I will be at the dealership first thing tomorrow morning. I'll take some pictures of the manufactures info on the windshield and post them as soon as I get back.
The whole situation is just a big pain in the b... I let them verify before installing the windshield that they have the correct pt. number. Everything seemed to be correct, but now still I end up with a OEM windshield without the 4.8mm info
Old 06-23-2008, 09:52 AM
EBM_Z06
Instructor

Okay, here is what happened today. They agreed to change out the complete weather-stripping but can’t get the windshield issue straight. They insist that the part that came in had the correct stock number as listed for the Z06. 10315114
I even had them show me their papers and saw that they received the windshield with the correct pt. number as stated above.
I didn’t get a picture of the new windshield, but here is the complete info that is on it. The stencil itself looks exactly like pictures above execpt for the info on it....

E6
43R-009047
SHADED HUD
SOLAR RAY
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS1
AP TECH.
LAMISAFE
DOT 376 M334

Definitely no Z06 specific thinner windshield due to the missing 4.8mm info. Just a regular OEM windshield with HUD support.
I really like to hear your thoughts about this. Possible that the manufacturer labelled the windshield with the wrong pt. number or maybe put the wrong windshield in the wrong packing box ?
Or has GM decided to replace the thinner 4.8mm windshield for regular thick coupe windshields.
To me that would make no sense at all. If that would have been the cause, I’m sure GM would have also replaced the current pt. number with the regular coupe windshield pt. number, instead of shipping out the same windshield for both numbers, no matter what part number you order.
Again, I would really appreciate it, if someone with more ability to find out about this, could give me some more info on this.
Thanks again
Alex
Old 06-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

you might want to run a search on this.. specific to this forum (C5Z06).. I know this has been discussed and resolved before.. right down to part #'s
Old 06-25-2008, 09:26 AM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by EBM_Z06
I didn’t get a picture of the new windshield, but here is the complete info that is on it. The stencil itself looks exactly like pictures above execpt for the info on it....

E6
43R-009047
SHADED HUD
SOLAR RAY
SAFETY FLO-LITE
AS1
AP TECH.
LAMISAFE
DOT 376 M334

Definitely no Z06 specific thinner windshield due to the missing 4.8mm info. Just a regular OEM windshield with HUD support.
Alex
This is what it should say

Your 43R number is different and the Dot number is different. It does appear that you received the wrong windshield. The removable manufacturer's sticker on the windshield should have had this on it.

Print this out and take to dealer. Obviously, the wrong windshield was shipped to them. Maybe someone could post the information on their non Z06 windshield to compare.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:53 PM
glassman15
Racer

Sorry to hear about your bad luck but you should have taken it to a autoglass professional instead of a dealership. I know the dealerships around here do not have certified glass techs working there? Always do your research first... Brand of glass? certified techs? Brand of urethane? Are they on the AGRSS list? This stands for Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards Council go to www.agrss.com see if the shop your gonna use is on the list. They try and regulate the safety standard of autoglass installation..
Old 06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glassman15
Sorry to hear about your bad luck but you should have taken it to a autoglass professional instead of a dealership. I know the dealerships around here do not have certified glass techs working there? Always do your research first... Brand of glass? certified techs? Brand of urethane? Are they on the AGRSS list? This stands for Auto Glass Replacement Safety Standards Council go to www.agrss.com see if the shop your gonna use is on the list. They try and regulate the safety standard of autoglass installation..
Good suggestions - but I wonder if any of that would have changed things in this instance!
Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM
glassman15
Racer

Not to sure about that most dealerships probably dont know the difference from the lighter glass and the regular hud glass...

Get notified of new replies

To Problems with windshield

Quick Reply: [Z06] Problems with windshield