Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Z06 HID Install (Low Beams & C5 Fog Lamps)

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Z06 HID Install (Low Beams & C5 Fog Lamps)

Guys:

This is all on my web site..... www.ToqueZ06.com

My original post made over a year ago got deteted, so I thought I would re-post it back up

Installed a set of C5 Fog lights, and then installed HID 6000K lights in the fog lights, and then HID 6000K lights into the low beam head lights. WOW what a big difference ! I'm comparing to the Silverstars too ! The silverstars are YELLOW big time compared to this setup ! I can only imagine how it would compare to stock....

Total cost for C5 fog lights, and all HID hardware was $423 everything in . I got the C5 fog lights, console button, wiring harness, brackets etc... from a scrap yard. All the HID setups were fron that auction site. Please PM me for more details if your interested.

Its not too bad to do really.....

I first installed the fog lamp button in the dash. It was easy to pop out and snap in the new one. Once the button was in, and you have the head lights on you can press the fog light button and it should light up the LED in the button, and you should hear a "CLICK" from under the hood. This told me that the circuit was complete all the way to the relay. GM did not bother to change the electrical harness/relays to take out the fog lamp equipment on the Z06's. Good for us that wanted to add the OEM C5 fog lamps after the fact ! GM did not run wiring from the fuse box to the fog lamps though. We have to do that ourselves.

Then I installed the 2x factory C5 fog lamps with some mounting HW I got at Lowes (see below). I then ran the 2 seperate purple wires from each fog lamp to the purple wire under relay #39. Be sure not to cut the purple wire because it leads from the fuse box to the relay inside the car (your little light on the fog lamp button will not light up if you clip the purple wire). Just solder the two purple leads from the fog lamps to the purple wire under relay #39. Use electrical tape or heat shrink and secure/isolate the conection.

Looking at the schematic below.... If you follow the purple (PPL) wire directly below Fuse #8 in the schematic, you can see it goes to the OEM fog switch inside the car. That is the wire I accidentally "cut". I should have just connected my 2x fog lamp wires to it. Thats why my light indicator on the OEM fog switch did not light up after my initial install. Then I realized the light on my switch did not work, and I later had to go back in and re-connect it...

Lifting the fuse box to get under it is a bit of a pain, and you don't have too much room at all to work. I removed the shroud around the battery/fuse box to give me some elbow room. You will have to try to pull a bit on the wiring harnesses to get some slack. Just be careful with it and you should not have any issues.

In theory you could run a single wire from the purple wire in the fuse box to one lamp, then one wire from that lamp to the other lamp. I just chose to do it the same way the factory did it.... Just in case it was done like that for a specific reason. I suspect each lamp was run seperately so that you would not over current a single wire and melt it.

From the schematic I scanned in below it says that Fuse 8 (10A) is the only fuse for the fog lamp circuit. See Fuse 8 on the top middle of the schematic. I put in a 20A because the 10A blew (HID's draw high current on powerup).

I then ran the 2x black GND wires from the fog lamps and connected them to the GND block over the passenger wheel inside the engine bay.

I then used the black plastic wire wrap that I got at Lowes to cover the wiring all the way from the fog lamps to the fuse box. I tie wrapped it along the way to secure it. I also tried to hide it so its not seen. The parts of the wire wrap that you can see it still looks like stock because it looks like the wire wrap that the factory harnesses use.

I have not had a chance to drive it yet, but I hope to this weekend
Here are some pics...

Wiring schematic

Stock wiring harness from scrap yard. What a mess this was

Fog harness striped from old C5 harness. Speed clips and screws from Lowes

Close up of speed clips from Lowes

Speed clip installed.

Stock C5 fog light installed.

Stock C5 Fog lights on. What a horrible yellow glow....

HID 6000k - 9006 (HID Low Beam) and 899 lights (HID Fog lamps).

Input plug into HID unit is like factory connector.

Mounted both HID units under the brake cooling duct. Duct moved to the side so you can see one of the boxes mounted.

Brake cooling duct moved to standard position. You can't even see the boxes under the duct.

6000K HID low beams on, and 6000K HID fog lights on.

ONLY the 6000K HID fog lights on.

HID 6000K Low beams, and HID 6000K Fogs shining on the wall

HID 6000K Low beams ONLY

HID 6000K Fogs ONLY (took some work to get them to match up like that.

Silverstar high beams. I can't believe how YELLOW the silverstars are. The pic can not show how big a difference there is !

Please feel free to ask any questions.
Toque

Last edited by Toque; 04-16-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

I went for a cruise tonight, and I am absolutely SHOCKED ! These are the BOMB !!! :partyon: Turning on the high beam "Silverstars" is light driving with your lights off in comparison ! Its actually scary turning on the high beams after driving with the HID's. I will never go back to stock lighting again. There is no shaking, or flickering. Its perfect ! The light coverage is really good ! Its even better than my GTI with stock HID's !

Toque

Head on HID low beams and Fog Lamps

HID Fog lights only

HID Fog lights only

HID Low Beams only

HID fog lamps, and HID low beams - Side angle

HID fog lamps only - Over the top of the car

HID low beams only - Over the top of the car

HID fog lamps, and HID low beams - Over the top of the car

SilverStar high beams - Over the top of the car. It is HORRIBLE !

SilverStar high beams - Over the top of the car. It is HORRIBLE !

HID fog lamps, and HID low beams - Side view

HID fog lamps, and HID low beams - Over the top

Guys:

It is AMAZING to drive at night. I can't believe it ! Driving with the HID lights, and then switching to high beams (I have Silverstars) is scary ! I will never use my high beams again. I might as well remove them
I have the vararam too... Had no issues here...

I got the C5 fog lights from a Corvette Scrap yard - Fog lights, mounting brackets, wiring harness, fog light button.... $135 shipped.

Pic taken before I cleaned everything up... sorry for the dust... The light lights up on the button just like the stock C5 button
Old 07-01-2008, 11:23 AM
NeoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very clean install, love it...
Old 07-01-2008, 12:25 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Great write-up
Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Kurtomac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i installed the same HID but only low beams...how the heck do you adjust these i got one higher than the other and one pointing in some...much brighter than my previous silverstars i agree there
Old 07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Kurtomac
i installed the same HID but only low beams...how the heck do you adjust these i got one higher than the other and one pointing in some...much brighter than my previous silverstars i agree there
I just installed the low beam HID's, and the fog lamp HID's. I still have the High beam Silverstars.

I did not have to re-aim my low beams. They were spot on. I had to adjust my fog lamps though. A bit of trial and error, and using a long screw driver thru the Z06 front screens.

Toque
Old 07-02-2008, 09:37 AM
THE TECH
Melting Slicks

Very cool! I'd love to find a set as well.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Tunedprt91
Instructor

Do you have any problems with your lights flipping back down? If not can you send me a pm on where you got your headlight kit from. Ive seen a few threads where people had problems with their lights flipping back down and i would rather not go through this problem. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Tunedprt91
Do you have any problems with your lights flipping back down? If not can you send me a pm on where you got your headlight kit from. Ive seen a few threads where people had problems with their lights flipping back down and i would rather not go through this problem. Thanks!
No issues that reported problem...

Sending PM

Toque
Old 07-13-2008, 12:01 AM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-13-2008, 02:00 AM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

Default Great Thread!!!!

This thread got me through my HID fog light install!! Only thing I really got hung up on was changing to a 20 amp fuse!!! When the HID bulbs popped on they blew my 10 amp, then the 15, the 20amp has been doing the trick for 4 months now!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
VIPERBLUELX
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Toque can you PM me which exact HID low beam setup your got on the auction site, thanks!
Old 09-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Viperbluelx, I used the vendor here, DJ Motorsports. Great service and they have fixed the issue with the lights not lowering when turning the lights off.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:19 AM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Viperblue... I used the cheapest shiat I could find in ebay and they have worked perfectly. Most of the kits (vendor or not) all come from the same place anyway. The worst thing that can happen are the headlight doors not closing correctly and HID flicker on start-up. I have fixes for both, so let me know.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:25 AM
MarkT 2002
Pro

Originally Posted by Blue Blood
Viperbluelx, I used the vendor here, DJ Motorsports. Great service and they have fixed the issue with the lights not lowering when turning the lights off.
Thanks for the link. I just ordered their low beam HIDs for just $199, but they don't have high beams
Old 09-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by MarkT 2002
Thanks for the link. I just ordered their low beam HIDs for just $199, but they don't have high beams
Mark, check the "for sale" in the C5 section, there may be a lower price here. I don't think I paid that much.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by MarkT 2002
Mark,

We have the High beam bulbs too. We just don't advertise them much.
1. It's really not needed unless you hook up a harness to have lows and highs on at the same time. Available from Eckler's for $50.
2. The high beam socket is non-adjustable and cocked up more and do not make much surface contact making it look like less light than your lows.
3. Going 65mph down the road and switching to highs only it takes few seconds for them to fully charge and that is safty issue.

But we do have plenty and sell them at $169 for returning customers.
David

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 HID Install (Low Beams & C5 Fog Lamps)

Old 09-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by VIPERBLUELX
Toque can you PM me which exact HID low beam setup your got on the auction site, thanks!
Pm sending soon. I have never had an issue with mine going up or down, but I hear its common with some. I guess I got lucky.

Toque
Old 11-05-2008, 02:13 AM
dsmlights
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is an awsome write up i hope it is still around when i get back to the states so I can do my foglight mod
Old 11-05-2008, 03:50 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Got mine in today. 6000K HIDs in new factory fogs replacing my PIAA 1100X which use to be bright to me. I drove only with them in the city even though I have ACA HIDs. Also replaced the 4300k stock head light bulbs with matching 6000Ks. Tan anyone?

Frank

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Z06 HID Install (Low Beams & C5 Fog Lamps)