Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 04:26 PM
kiwi korvette
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 zo6 oil consumption

Originally Posted by racebum
that is high, could be the old ringset.

a quart every 1000 miles isn't usually enough to create carbon build up, at least not quickly, and that's how oil burning can blow up motors. if the exhaust valves and ringlands get coated in it, they will eventually frag

the worst part about a quart every 1000 miles is what it does to the cats. excessive oil use can damage and potentially melt cats as the oil gets trapped and lights up in the cats

i would try 5-40w motor oil and see if it improves at all
Thanks for the replys,My corvette was shipped over to new zealand when it was new,so it would have missed any warranty work like re ringing.Over here we have Holden commodore cars,which are built in Austrailia.These cars and pickups are of the GM brand and have LS 1 engines in them.When they were new oil consumption was an issue.I remember talk of ring flutter and pcv problems but I talked to the service manager at holden yesterday and the said the 5 40w kept the consumption down.Down here in nz the corvette is an iconic car but are rare,We have corvette clubs but in my town of 150,000 I would be the only c5 owner.The person who imported my car in 2001,when your dollar was high,would have paid $80,000 nzd to end up with it here in nz.He then payed a further $35,000 nzd to get it right hand drive converted.I love this car and I am not put off by a few of its little quirks but it is good to talk to a forum where there are people that own these cars,cheers
Old 04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
VRedZ06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Z06 oil capacity

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When I refilled the oil after the first oil change on my 97 it took 7 quarts to get it to the same point on the dip stick. My LS6 took 6.5 quarts to fill to the full mark on the dip stick but I always throw in the extra half quart. Unless the garage pumps the oil into the car from a drum the charge for 6.5 quarts is the same as 7 quarts (you have to buy 7 containers either way).

Bill
The early C6 Z06's 06-09 took 8 qt's in 2009 they added an additional oil tank next to the large oil tank that was changed to a single high capacity unit with the 10.5 capacity.

But at the end of the day you have to know your car's mod's. I have a 2006 Z06 with a lingenfelter high capacity tank for the 2006 Z06 to solve oil starvation at high G tracks like Pocono and Daytona. I also added a large front oil cooler, (Swedish rally unit), that also added 1 quart so I take 11.5 quarts. I always check the levels after an oil change carefully to make sure we are at the right level.

I hope this helps,
VRZ06

Last edited by VRedZ06; 04-18-2016 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS6 oil capacity