Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] LS6 heads Fix or Not b4 Sale

Old 12-18-2008, 03:06 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS6 heads Fix or Not b4 Sale

So I removed the heads from my LS6 and installed a set of ported and polished ones from Texas speed. (29 RWHP increase)

Anyway I took my 45K mile set of heads to a machine shop here in Raleigh to have them checked out prior to selling on the forum here. They told me they checked out great except for 2 exhaust valve guides and would recommend a valve job on those two valves..... Cost is 175 I had noticed some smoke at idle and dont doubt the work needs to be done but thing is ... should i fix um before selling (would have new valve stem seals / cleaned 100% checked out / new valve guide / valve job on 2 cylinders) or sell um as is disclosing the issues?

Would i net 175 more with um fixed?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:20 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
So I removed the heads from my LS6 and installed a set of ported and polished ones from Texas speed. (29 RWHP increase)

Anyway I took my 45K mile set of heads to a machine shop here in Raleigh to have them checked out prior to selling on the forum here. They told me they checked out great except for 2 exhaust valve guides and would recommend a valve job on those two valves..... Cost is 175 I had noticed some smoke at idle and dont doubt the work needs to be done but thing is ... should i fix um before selling (would have new valve stem seals / cleaned 100% checked out / new valve guide / valve job on 2 cylinders) or sell um as is disclosing the issues?

Would i net 175 more with um fixed?
doubt it.. just knock it off the price of the heads and let the buyer know he may want to do it before he/she installs them..

2 bad guides @ 45k is scary low mileage for that!!
Old 12-18-2008, 03:40 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If you already have a buyer, offer the repair option price and price "as is" to the buyer. Someone might be interested in buying them "as is" and have a place to do it for them at a better price.
If you value your reputation here, don't hide the issue from any potential buyer...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:40 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
If you already have a buyer, offer the repair option price and price "as is" to the buyer. Someone might be interested in buying them "as is" and have a place to do it for them at a better price.
If you value your reputation here, don't hide the issue from any potential buyer...
No buyer yet... 100% would disclose what the machine shop saw. When i said as is i meant disclosing the issue ..... How much do we think would these bring ?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ported LS6 heads gave you 29rwhp? That's pretty solid. What were your before numbers?
Old 12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Default hi

Originally Posted by Ryan L
Ported LS6 heads gave you 29rwhp? That's pretty solid. What were your before numbers?
I will scan and post the Graph ..... I had 399 RWHP and now am at 428 (oh had to gut the cats as well) This is with a near G5X2 cam and Shorty Headers.....

the heads i got were from Texas Speed and are 243 castings with their 2.5 porting job... I thought it was quite solid.....

Last edited by RaleighSS; 12-19-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:31 AM
gasboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would think if the heads are "fresh" and ready to install,that they would be easier to sell.most people don't want to spend money for "broken" parts.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Originally Posted by gasboy
i would think if the heads are "fresh" and ready to install,that they would be easier to sell.most people don't want to spend money for "broken" parts.
Ok..... Good point...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:27 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the heads are in good shape I would sell as is. I would think most buyers would go through the heads anyways to insure all is well. On eBay 243 heads that are "perfect" are going for $450.00; Something like $300.00 as is would be fair.

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 heads Fix or Not b4 Sale

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] LS6 heads Fix or Not b4 Sale