Sponsored by:

[Z06] LED headlight bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 01:47 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Default LED headlight bulbs?

I know lot's of folks have switched to LED corner & sig bulbs.Does anyone know of LED headlight bulbs?

I'm gonna switch my original bulbs out soon and wanted to do the LED switch if poss.

If LED's aren't available ,what is the next best replacement bulb ( non HID)?

Thanks
\db2
Carolina
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Davinss
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't you want hid?
Old 12-27-2008, 01:08 AM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

LEDs, up until VERY recently, have not had the forward projected light to be of any use as headlights. Audi just put the first LED headlight system in their R8. The whole headlight is designed around a cluster of 4 LEDs.

Cadillac has also released a preliminary LED headlight design for the Escalade, also utilizing multiple LEDs.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/bu...adillac_i.html

Many drivers complain about the glare from luxury cars fitted with High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlights, but Hetz said LEDs solve that problem. The headlights on the Escalade Platinum feature five LED arrays for the low beam meaning the light is dispersed among five sources. HIDs typically use a single lamp, so the intensity is greater. The Escalade adds two additional LEDs for high beams.

Hetz said that HID lights generally have greater output than LEDs, so the engineers had to work carefully to aim the light where it is needed. Hetz said the Escalade Platinum's system puts out about 730 lumens set on low beams and 1,000 on high beams. Typical HID systems produce 830/1,200 lumens and halogens are typically 400/600.

It's also massively expensive. The option on the R8 is like 7k, and on the Escalade it's part of the 19k Platinum package.

Very not plug and play. Do not expect to see these, if ever, for years as retrofit kits.

Last edited by 4GS7; 12-27-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To LED headlight bulbs?

Quick Reply: [Z06] LED headlight bulbs?