Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Anyone with legal window tint in VA? Pics?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:20 AM
taegee2
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone with legal window tint in VA? Pics?

I'm thinking about tinting my '03 black Z06. Not too concerned about getting it dark but rather trying to keep it a little cooler in the summer. I live in Northern VA and the VA tint law is 50% front sides and 35% rear sides and rear (with a minus 7% leeway...discrepancies in tinting, tint meter being off, etc... so 43% and 28% max)...I used to be a local cop years ago and didn't really cared about tints unless I couldn't see inside (limo tints)...even then, they were usually fix it ticketes anyway with no points assessed.

Had VA legal tint when I had a black 91 Honda Prelude many, many years ago. It wasn't too dark but still noticeable difference compared to untinted stock windows.

I went to LA Tint in Woodbridge, VA and after talking with the manager there for a while, he offered to tint the Z06 for $250 cash for their best tint (the ceramic base tint with lifetime warranty aginst color changing, peeling, bubbles, etc,)...regularly $329.00. He said to give him a call when ready and stop by. Had dealings with LA Tint in Alexandria in the past with no issues (found out most are independently owned).

Has anyone had dealings with LA Tint in Woodbridge? The guy suggest maybe going 35% all around...told him I didn't need the hassle with local or state PD (even though I could probably badge my way out and knew some of them). Thinking about staying VA legal (the black interior will make the tint look a little darker also).

Anyone with pics of legal tints in VA?
Any suggestions or comments?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:33 AM
taegee2
Instructor

How about tinting only the sides and leaving the rear untinted? In this case I would probably go with 35%.

Anyone tinted only the sides and left the rear untinted? Pics?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:39 AM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

legal tint in VA, what the **** is that?

I have 35 on my truck, i got pulled and told it was 5 by the cops meter bull**** they check with. i sent them cash for that ticket, not removing the tint. F-YOU VHP.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 AM
taegee2
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheDingo
I have 35 on my truck, i got pulled and told it was 5 by the cops meter bull**** they check with. i sent them cash for that ticket, not removing the tint. F-YOU VHP.
I've used those light meters years ago and they were not very accurate, usually + or - 5% (sometimes more...they were very finicky equipment and even after adjustments, they were still off). But you don't need a meter tell the difference between a 35% and 5% (must've been a retard VSP Trooper). I do have some VSP friends and they DO love to pull over tinted cars compared to the local PD's (they also get a lot of drug arrests out of them too...hence it gives them a good reason to stop cars with tinted windows).

That's why I don't need the hassle of dealing with them...the VSP are generally not as forgiving as the locals (some of them are actually pretty cool guys but they are a little stricter overall). But as in any PD (local, state, Feds), there are always a%^holes in every department (even their own people don't like 'em).
Old 03-12-2010, 08:44 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 35 percent all around on my C6Z06. Had it done by LA Tint in Sterling; nice job.

I doubt you'd have problems with a LEO unless you'd really done something serious.

The other issue is passing safety inspection. My guess is 35 percent would pass, especially if you went to a shop that does other work for you, which is what I do.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by taegee2
But you don't need a meter tell the difference between a 35% and 5% (must've been a retard VSP Trooper).
Exactly. I wasn't going to tell him that though! LOL

I agree some of them are coolish but much more strict than any other state I've been to.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:25 PM
nadj99
Advanced

I'm here in NC and I went with a 40% tint so I would pass yearly inspections. I paid 165$ and he added black vinyl to cover the bumps up top on the back window. THAT made a difference. Otherwise the tint looked bubbly up top on the rear window. 40% is good enough at night I can still see out of it. In the daytime you can see shadows inside the car. Its raining right now otherwise I'd take pictures for ya on a 02 MYZ.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Stevo92z28
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

taegee2 - I have 35% all the way around on my Z. Never had an issue but i normally cruise with the side windows down. I have a guy here in NoVA if you are interested. He does lots of high end cars and such. We bring him a lot of cars and work trucks. I can get you his # if you are interested. He did my car for $150.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM
Uncle John
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JiminVirginia
I've got 35 percent all around on my C6Z06. Had it done by LA Tint in Sterling; nice job.

I doubt you'd have problems with a LEO unless you'd really done something serious.

The other issue is passing safety inspection. My guess is 35 percent would pass, especially if you went to a shop that does other work for you, which is what I do.
Window tint is not part of the inspection process in VA. I had 17% on mine and got a ticket in King and Queen county. Trooper explained the inspection thing to me. $90 down the drain.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:22 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Name:  q9.jpg
Views: 6520
Size:  228.1 KB

5% on the back and 35% legal on the sides
never been harassed by cops and when i see one if i have a pretty good lead on him i'm gone

Last edited by 1320IN9; 03-14-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM
taegee2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stevo92z28
taegee2 - I have 35% all the way around on my Z. Never had an issue but i normally cruise with the side windows down. I have a guy here in NoVA if you are interested. He does lots of high end cars and such. We bring him a lot of cars and work trucks. I can get you his # if you are interested. He did my car for $150.
Stevo9z28, if you don't mind, PM me his number and I'll give him a shout. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:15 PM
cdkcorvette7
Tech Contributor

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevo92z28
Hey, can I get that number too? I'm also in Northern VA. I think I'm going to go with 35% all the way around...
Old 04-12-2010, 01:49 AM
1REDZED
Instructor

Greg, new to the forum.

Uhmm, your pic- MY T FINE

William

We could only wish for more than 90 days of sunshine here in WA St. to tint our windows. I did that to my old/ then brand spanking new '96 Impala SS here in Washington. The rain wet get- the side windows 'enhanced' every headlight in each rain droplet to the point where I regreted having tinted the glass. I used to look to my left (or right) and see hundreds of headlights (in the many rain drops on the glass) sheesh, I recall many occasions, buzzing down the window to get a clear picture of what I needed to see.

That Black Z06 is a beauty! Salute!

Name:  046.jpg
Views: 5882
Size:  101.8 KB
Old 04-12-2010, 07:23 AM
02EBZ06VA
Instructor

OP, I would just go as dark as you want to. I had my 99 TA very dark and never had any problems. The tint will help with bright lights aswell. Even if you did get pulled for it, based on your former job I think you would be safe from a ticket.

The darker you go the more your interior will love you
Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
1REDZED
Instructor

Originally Posted by taegee2
I'm thinking about tinting my '03 black Z06. Not too concerned about getting it dark but rather trying to keep it a little cooler in the summer. I live in Northern VA and the VA tint law is 50% front sides and 35% rear sides and rear (with a minus 7% leeway...discrepancies in tinting, tint meter being off, etc... so 43% and 28% max)...I used to be a local cop years ago and didn't really cared about tints unless I couldn't see inside (limo tints)...even then, they were usually fix it ticketes anyway with no points assessed.

Had VA legal tint when I had a black 91 Honda Prelude many, many years ago. It wasn't too dark but still noticeable difference compared to untinted stock windows.

I went to LA Tint in Woodbridge, VA and after talking with the manager there for a while, he offered to tint the Z06 for $250 cash for their best tint (the ceramic base tint with lifetime warranty aginst color changing, peeling, bubbles, etc,)...regularly $329.00. He said to give him a call when ready and stop by. Had dealings with LA Tint in Alexandria in the past with no issues (found out most are independently owned).

Has anyone had dealings with LA Tint in Woodbridge? The guy suggest maybe going 35% all around...told him I didn't need the hassle with local or state PD (even though I could probably badge my way out and knew some of them). Thinking about staying VA legal (the black interior will make the tint look a little darker also).

Anyone with pics of legal tints in VA?
Any suggestions or comments?
taegee-I am new to the forum- so "hello"
In simply surfing the site I came across your question imposed.

Respectfully, I believe the vast majoity of LEO's have a bit of resentment for a statement like the one you made about potentionally being able to 'badge' your way out of it

If a fellow LEO shoulders a vehicle for 15mph over, half hour later I come along at 15 over, he spots me, shoulders me.
"Integrity" It will be 'his' very badge I see as I sit behind the wheel, but acknowlege the oath I took to wear mine. Professionally-I expect that ticket. I would never- expect a fellow LEO to abandon his/her Integrity for something I have done.

Nice to meet you, enjoy your car. Are you 'Airborne'? Integrity.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM
vettesrus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my Z06 done at LA Tint of Sterling. Got a quote of 220.00 for my R32 at LA Tint of Manassas.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 PM
ls2alex
Burning Brakes

CA chp is extremely strict. everything in ca is actually, but i have 5% on rear and 35 on sides and have been fine

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with legal window tint in VA? Pics?

Old 04-12-2010, 11:37 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 1REDZED
Greg, new to the forum.

Uhmm, your pic- MY T FINE

William

We could only wish for more than 90 days of sunshine here in WA St. to tint our windows. I did that to my old/ then brand spanking new '96 Impala SS here in Washington. The rain wet get- the side windows 'enhanced' every headlight in each rain droplet to the point where I regreted having tinted the glass. I used to look to my left (or right) and see hundreds of headlights (in the many rain drops on the glass) sheesh, I recall many occasions, buzzing down the window to get a clear picture of what I needed to see.

That Black Z06 is a beauty! Salute!

no not new at all, been here since 04 and i am on my 5th black zo6, the car pictured is one of my old ones, my current zo6 is 2003 black of course, supercharged and very low miles. only 2067 orig miles and it's for sale
Old 04-13-2010, 12:31 AM
BRISLS1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14,’19

33% on the sides. Just got busted today. State man in Richmond on I-64.

This is my 4th car tinted by the same shop. Never had a problem until now. I think they are collecting for Obama-care.

Get the legal limit. Save yourself.

Last edited by BRISLS1; 04-13-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: asdsd
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
1REDZED
Instructor

Behaviour Detection- ever see a person just waiting for a bus at a bus stop? It all appears quite 'normal'.
Domain Awareness- A LEO shoulders a vehicle on the interstate. He needs to be extra vigilant and never forget that cars are passing @60mph. Yes, some folks are 'texting', chatting on the cell phone' eating, drinking. Some are buzzed, some have 'their swerve on'. Oh yeah, it's foggy out, or rainy out, it's dusk out.
Lets not forgot the seasoned long hauler that wants to acknowlege the LEO on the side of the interstate and move his rig over to the fast lane but can't, because the person 'texting, eating, drinking, buzzed' etc, won't let him over...

The LEO, hasn't even begun to walk the white line up to your vehicle yet. Now, with what I just mentioned above happening in mere seconds he's/she's begining the approach with more in depth behavioral detection, and constant domain awareness of whats around him/her.
Like the 'normal person waiting for the bus at the bus stop' is this driver reaching for the glove box? Is this persons hands in line of sight and on the wheel? Are the drivers recations 'normal'.

Oh, the LEO's acuteness is even greater now because there is now multiple persons inside the vehicle.

It is really easy to dismiss a LEO cause you are getting a ticket (maybe) But we need to better understand the LEO's 'workplace'.

"Never a problem before".... Ever let the Vette loose if even for a quick burst after scanning the mirrors for a LEO? (his car) You cut the Vettle loose, but ya passed him while he was off duty in the mini van...

I bet there are even times when an area is inserted, patrols presence now exist because because there are real problems 5 miles up the road, and they want to create the calm and compliant traffic flow so the incident 5 miles up the road is managed safely. (even after the guy rolled his vehicle 5 times in the median of the interstate.

LEO's love their cars too! Their $50k snowmobiles, ski boats, street bikes etc. We just have different proffesions, and we all want to be good with what we do.
Yet for most- their LIFE doesn't depend on how they are able to do their job. Their is no " I don't feel like it to day" in walking that white line of the interstate. It's always "game on".

Of course.. This is in my own humble opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Anyone with legal window tint in VA? Pics?