Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Magnaflow 15660, too quiet...bypass mod??

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM
'02TA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow 15660, too quiet...bypass mod??

I have a lightly modded '02 Z with Vararam, LG LT's, magnaflow catless x-pipe and 15660 catback. I love the tone and the looks of the exhaust but its just to quiet for me. I was reading that alot of guys like the bypass mod on the factory Ti setup so it got me thinking that it might give me the volume and keep the tone I like without costing me an arm and a leg to change the whole catback. Has anybody done this before? Even on another catback besides the stock one? Any opionions/video would be great to help me pull the trigger on modding this catback.

Thanks and Regards,
Ryan
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

If they're designed like factory, with inlet and outlet on the same end, it should work like a charm. Never heard of anybody trying it, but since it's SS instead of Ti, there's lots less complication on the welding. Wish I'd thought of that when I had my Magnaflow CB, because I loved the deep tone. I got rid of them only because they were too quiet.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:53 PM
'02TA
Advanced

Yeah that's what I thought. It should keep the underlying tone and just intensify the volume as the rpm's increase. I might have to be the first for this...I swore I wasn't gonna go changing exhausts all the time like I did with my trans am but, what can I say, they gotta sound right. I had 12 different exhaust setups on my trans am. My friends call me the exhaust conassieur (sp?)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:32 PM
'02TA
Advanced

91 views and 2 replies...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by '02TA
91 views and 2 replies...
Did you end up doing the bypass to your Magnaflow? I'm considering doing this to my car right now with the same exhaust system but I'm unsure if it's the right choice. If you did end up doing it, were the results good?? Any drone from doing the bypass below 2000 rpm?
Old 10-24-2014, 09:20 PM
'02TA
Advanced

Default Sorry guys

I ended up having to sell the car. It was the best car I've ever owned or driven but the car payment and insurance for a college kid was a bit outrageous. I came out of the deal the same as I went in so I can't complain. It wasn't very long after I made this post that I sold the car so I never got the chance to mod the MagnaFlow. I still think it would have sounded badass though.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I already experience what happens with the great loud muffler experience; drone comes with it.

My Ti exhaust noise level is great to me. Yes, the bypass will give you more exhaust note, and you will be able to close them at anytime.

Modded Z06 with Magnaflow, and bypass.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:38 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by PLRX
I already experience what happens with the great loud muffler experience; drone comes with it.

My Ti exhaust noise level is great to me. Yes, the bypass will give you more exhaust note, and you will be able to close them at anytime.

Modded Z06 with Magnaflow, and bypass.

Your car sounds amazing! So you had a Ti exhaust with the bypass mod and now you Magnaflows with the bypass (in the video)? Do you have long tubes installed as well?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:34 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 5.3Avalanche
Your car sounds amazing! So you had a Ti exhaust with the bypass mod and now you Magnaflows with the bypass (in the video)? Do you have long tubes installed as well?
Not My Z, a friend's Z at the track few weeks ago. It is a LS6 with a cam, longtubes, and the Magnacrap cat back with bypass.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:38 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by PLRX
Not My Z, a friend's Z at the track few weeks ago. It is a LS6 with a cam, longtubes, and the Magnacrap cat back with bypass.
Sweet. And with that setup he doesn't have drone while cruising under 2000 rpm? Have you driven in the car with him?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:54 AM
supercarpilot
Cruising

How do you close the bypass? I thought that was just linking the pipe coming into the muffler with the exit pipe coming out of the muffler with a piece of tubing welded in there? I have the magna flow as well on mine and am considering putting a set of dumps, such as the QTP, on it so I can have the option of loud or deep depending on the circumstance.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:10 AM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

Originally Posted by supercarpilot
How do you close the bypass? I thought that was just linking the pipe coming into the muffler with the exit pipe coming out of the muffler with a piece of tubing welded in there? I have the magna flow as well on mine and am considering putting a set of dumps, such as the QTP, on it so I can have the option of loud or deep depending on the circumstance.
The bypass mod typically doesn't have a valve and it is just a short runner pipe to bypass the muffler like you've described. If you were to install a cutout or butterfly valve on the bypass pipe, it would function essentially the same as the GM NPP exhaust that is available on the C6 and C7 from the factory (albeit without PCM control of the valves).
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

I hope you're comparing apples to apples. There are three different Magnaflow catbacks available for the C5 that I know of. That car in the race video sounds amazing, but it'd be too loud for me on the street. Yes, the standard, full size Magnaflow does drone a little, without cats, but not near as much as Stingers. Very deep tone that sounds unlike other catbacks I've heard in person. At the time I owned that catback, I had only LTs, offroad X pipe, and no partition.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM
supercarpilot
Cruising

The bypass mod typically doesn't have a valve and it is just a short runner pipe to bypass the muffler like you've described. If you were to install a cutout or butterfly valve on the bypass pipe, it would function essentially the same as the GM NPP exhaust that is available on the C6 and C7 from the factory (albeit without PCM control of the valves).
That's exactly what I thought, I am sticking to my plan of a set of electric cutouts and by the feed back I hear they are a good investment. I paid way too much for this magnaflow system to scrap it, and for what it's worth, I love the sound of my car with it on. My system is the 8" muffler though, part#16732, which I believe would sound louder than the 11" muffler(part#15660).

I was going to install the cutout right off the pipe prior to entering the muffler and then put a down pipe on it as I think it may sound louder reverberating off the ground? Does that make sense or do you think it would sound louder straight out the rear, as in putting it in the place of the bypass pipe?
Old 10-28-2014, 05:02 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

That's exactly what I thought, I am sticking to my plan of a set of electric cutouts and by the feed back I hear they are a good investment. I paid way too much for this magnaflow system to scrap it, and for what it's worth, I love the sound of my car with it on. My system is the 8" muffler though, part#16732, which I believe would sound louder than the 11" muffler(part#15660).

I was going to install the cutout right off the pipe prior to entering the muffler and then put a down pipe on it as I think it may sound louder reverberating off the ground? Does that make sense or do you think it would sound louder straight out the rear, as in putting it in the place of the bypass pipe?
If you install a typical bypass and put a cutout on the bypass, it would be quieter than if you just installed cutouts prior to the bypass. The bypass pipe is typically installed slightly off from the 90 degree bend going into the muffler, so it doesn't get 100% of the flow going through it. The developed airflow wants to follow the pipe bend but at higher rpms (higher exhaust flow rates) more exits though the bypass. If you position the cutouts prior to the 90 deg bend or if you install the bypass in line with the straight section of tubing prior to the 90 deg bend, your exhaust will sound louder. Pointing the cutouts down will allow the sound to reverberate off the ground and make it louder too like you said.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:05 PM
supercarpilot
Cruising

If you install a typical bypass and put a cutout on the bypass, it would be quieter than if you just installed cutouts prior to the bypass. The bypass pipe is typically installed slightly off from the 90 degree bend going into the muffler, so it doesn't get 100% of the flow going through it. The developed airflow wants to follow the pipe bend but at higher rpms (higher exhaust flow rates) more exits though the bypass. If you position the cutouts prior to the 90 deg bend or if you install the bypass in line with the straight section of tubing prior to the 90 deg bend, your exhaust will sound louder. Pointing the cutouts down will allow the sound to reverberate off the ground and make it louder too like you said.

That is what I thought, thank you for your quick reply. So I guess '02 Ta this gives you some food for thought as well on a different option if you don't want to give up your magnaflow rumble.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:13 PM
5.3Avalanche
Instructor

That is what I thought, thank you for your quick reply. So I guess '02 Ta this gives you some food for thought as well on a different option if you don't want to give up your magnaflow rumble.
Unfortunately 02TA sold his car.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:16 PM
supercarpilot
Cruising

Unfortunately 02TA sold his car.
LOL, well I guess this is all useless for him anyhow. As for me thank you for your replies as I had someone confirm my suspicions that the car will sound better with it coming straight off the dumps rather than going straight out the back. Now to figure the best set of dumps to purchase?

Get notified of new replies

To Magnaflow 15660, too quiet...bypass mod??

Quick Reply: [Z06] Magnaflow 15660, too quiet...bypass mod??