[Z06] SLP Long Tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:18 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP Long Tube headers

Hey guys,

I have searched and searched on this forum for a review for SLP Long Tube headers. Here is a link to the product in question.

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=30095

The reason I am really interested in these is because my friend has a set that apparently has my name on it and is willing to sell it to me for $400. Most of the exhausts I hear about are LG & American Racing. Has anyone heard of SLP and are they good?

My car is bone stock except for the intake mod. If I install these, will I gain any performance at all or any nice sound with a tune?

Thanks guys!
Old 11-04-2010, 04:38 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SLP is a reputable company that has been around for a long time. SLP makes the factory modifications to many GM cars (Camaro SS, Trans Am WS6). for $400 i would say its hard to beat. the Stock Z06 Manifolds are pretty efficent from what i understand so gains without other mods will be relativly minimal. Most Long Tube headers are all very comparble to one another.

S
Old 11-04-2010, 05:25 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Is it the entire system shown in the SLP catalog? If so, it looks like a steal@ $400. Real extra HP, and better sound are both things that you get with long tube headers, and this looks like a nice system. To get full benefit from your headers, a dyno tune would be your next step, unless you plan on making other engine mods soon.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:29 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Actually it is just the headers without the bolts and extensions. I thought it was the whole system too until I asked him for more details.

Originally Posted by zeevette
Is it the entire system shown in the SLP catalog? If so, it looks like a steal@ $400. Real extra HP, and better sound are both things that you get with long tube headers, and this looks like a nice system. To get full benefit from your headers, a dyno tune would be your next step, unless you plan on making other engine mods soon.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Edmond
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

The exhaust manifolds may be efficient but they're not as efficient as headers. With the headers, you will flow more air and lose weight. Those cast iron manifolds are heavy!

With the long tubes and a tune, you should easily pick up 20 RWHP.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:22 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by LowNSlow01
Actually it is just the headers without the bolts and extensions. I thought it was the whole system too until I asked him for more details.
Still a good deal for new headers, but no where near as good as I first thought. You reuse your header bolts, BTW, and remember to use anti-seize compound on the threads.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:24 PM
LowNSlow01
Instructor

Can I use my stock cats too? I really want my car to be smog legal or close to it so I can pass smog when the time comes.

Originally Posted by zeevette
Still a good deal for new headers, but no where near as good as I first thought. You reuse your header bolts, BTW.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:22 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have ran these HEADERS on a previous C5 and I will NEVER put them on my car again, even they were FREE! Reason is the tubing design requires you to run a wiring harness through a tube on the passenger side and if do not do this properly it will melt it. There is a kit you can purchase from SLP that provides protective measures to prevent melting the harness, but the fit is tight and the tubing designs also comes incredibly close to other wires routed at the rear of the engine compartment. I got lucky, I didn't care for the design and replaced it shortly after I bought a used set (mine had the H-Pipe and other supporting hardware) and I paid $400 for everything. When I removed them, that is when I realized how close to melting a great deal of wiring, because I wrapped up what was recommended. If you do this, get the best heat-shielding tape you can find and wrap everything remotely close to these tubes. Trust me when I say, I WAS very lucky I didn't ruin my harnesses.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 04:22 AM
zeevette
Race Director

Originally Posted by LowNSlow01
Can I use my stock cats too? I really want my car to be smog legal or close to it so I can pass smog when the time comes.
No, you can't use your stock cats, unless you do some cutting and welding. As far as I know, any LT header is illegal in CA.

Get notified of new replies

To SLP Long Tube headers

Quick Reply: [Z06] SLP Long Tube headers