Sponsored by:

2004 C5 Clunk.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 12:21 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Default 2004 C5 Clunk.

I have a "radical" clunking noise coming from my C5. Three front end shops and one Corvette shop are completely stumped. No one can find it and it sounds like something is about to fall off. Some guys think it's coming from the front, some the rear. The car now has 19K miles. I just had the rack replaced and that didn't help. Every part has been touched and tightened. Yesterday, a new guy to the problem suggested that perhaps something inside the frame rails has broken loose. He has seen that in other cars. He didn't have a camera to look inside. I have the interior 100% covered with fatmat. The noise is not from inside the car. I couldn't sell the car if I wanted to. And yes, even my wife says to crank the stereo louder. Has anyone else had this problem? I believe the car is safe, but that constant clunking over slight bumps is crazy. Breaking doesn't stop it either. Suggestions?
Old 01-18-2011, 12:31 PM
Max01GreenMachine
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C6 of the Year Finalist
Cruise-In VI Veteran

We need much more detail.

When does it happen? Turning, accelerating, braking, etc? Going up an incline while turning? Or does it just clunk clunk clunk as you go down the road?

Be as detailed as possible.

Later,
Max
Old 01-18-2011, 12:44 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Max01GreenMachine
We need much more detail.

When does it happen? Turning, accelerating, braking, etc? Going up an incline while turning? Or does it just clunk clunk clunk as you go down the road?

Be as detailed as possible.

Later,
Max
It happens at all times on slightly bumpy ground. Not on a 100% smooth road. The suspension is the obvious choice, but everything is tight and solid. It's not speed related. Breaking makes no difference. It is a muffled clunking sound. Up hill, down hill, parking lots and my own driveway. It's so loud that you think that you'll put your hand right on it. I have personally spent at least 6 hours on jack stands touching everything. I disassembled the front and rear brakes and each headlight assembly. The sound can not be duplicated by bouncing the car or pounding with a dead blow rubber hammer even with the car on the rack and the load off the suspension. The front end shop yesterday spent about two hours looking and didn't charge me anything. Completely stumped.......
Old 01-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Mine does the exact same damn thing and I've been all through the car looking for it.

I read a post once that a loose spring in the e-brake assembly on the rear axle can do it, but I haven't been into that yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Are you sure its coming from below you? The targa top can make noise over bumps as well as the rear hatch.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
kasper-pA-
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '14, '15

I have a very similar issue! Mine *sounds* like it's a clunking of suspension pieces but I cannot find it, nor could my mechanic...

subscribed.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Are you sure its coming from below you? The targa top can make noise over bumps as well as the rear hatch.
Below. I can feel it in the auto shifter.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:56 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by kasper-pA-
I have a very similar issue! Mine *sounds* like it's a clunking of suspension pieces but I cannot find it, nor could my mechanic...

subscribed.
What the heck? No one in my club has herd of this and we've discussed it in our monthly meeting. Is there a resource at G.M. we could contact?
Old 01-18-2011, 04:57 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kale
Mine does the exact same damn thing and I've been all through the car looking for it.

I read a post once that a loose spring in the e-brake assembly on the rear axle can do it, but I haven't been into that yet.
I've no idea where that assembly is, but I'll find it and check it out. Thanks......
Old 01-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Inside the rear brake rotor.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Inside the rear brake rotor.
Cool. Thanks. I drove my other Vette today. That darn noise is making me absolutely nuts!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:04 PM
TK6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anti-sway bar endlinks?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

This might sound nuts... but it happened to me.

I had a clunking sound when turning. I was hell bent that it was something in the suspension or steering rack.

Check to see if your BATTERY is firmly tightened down. It sits on a "smooth" surface. Maybe put a mat or something under it and tighten it down. Mine was clunking around in there and because of its weight I could feel it in the seat of my pants and my steering wheel.

Toque
Old 01-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Toque

I had a clunking sound when turning. I was hell bent that it was something in the suspension or steering rack.

Check to see if your BATTERY is firmly tightened down. It sits on a "smooth" surface. Maybe put a mat or something under it and tighten it down. Mine was clunking around in there and because of its weight I could feel it in the seat of my pants and my steering wheel.

Toque
...That's brilliant.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by Toque

Toque
I thought of that. I have an Optima Battery and it is dead nuts solid. I've spent a lot of time under the hood as well. Good suggestion.... keep em coming! The only thing I haven't done is remove each plastic wheel well covering. Is there anything in there?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:45 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Originally Posted by TK6
Anti-sway bar endlinks?
I have Hotchkis sway bars and they are tight. The mounts and rubbers have been triple checked. Keep em coming!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Is your car lowered? Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Get notified of new replies

To 2004 C5 Clunk.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 PM
CatCam
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Well - I have a 2004 as well and I was getting a "Clunk" everytime I hit a bump.....

Checked EVERYTHING......

Culprit?? -- The 4 Freakin' lifting pucks I had in the back storage bin of the car! DOH!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:37 PM
sweet97c5
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a shop that have"chassis ear".Will help narrow down location of noise.Good luck
Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have a similar noise it happens over bumpy roads sort of like a piece of metal rattling loose against sheet metal.

Not sure if it is the welding above the gas tank issue. I also have a clank noise after going into reverse and stopping suddenly shifting weight.

I am curious if it is a wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: 2004 C5 Clunk.