Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Loud Ticking after Cam install and etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Ticking after Cam install and etc.

Alright guys, hear is my story. I just got home a couple hours ago from a header and cam package install at a good reputable shop in Houston. As soon as i left the shop i slightly noticed a ticking noise but didnt think nothing of it so i just kept on driving cause i had a 8 1/2 hr drive to get home. As i was on the Interstate i started to notice the motor ticking loud at times and then would go away. I started to pay attention to my oil pressure and noticed that the only time the motor would tick loud was when the oil pressure would be at 37 psi or lower. Driving home at 65 or 70 mph while in sixth gear was making the motor sound like a loud damn sowing maching which again was only showing constant 35 oil psi and even sometimes 32psi at that speed . The majority of the time on the way home the motor was ticking loud unless i hit 80 mph constantly on the road which was at 42 oil psi. At idle my oil pressure is 28 psi and when driving around in town it would only hit 35-37 psi. When i accelerate it takes a long time to pressure up to 42psi but that's all she goes and no higher. I do remember the oil pressure going way over 40 psi when i would accelerate it and this was before the mods. Any ideas as to what the problem may be? I think the loud ticking and low oil pressure is not a good sign. So far i have only put 540 miles on the cam. I really want to resolve this issue quick. Ive heard of people complaining about a ticking noise but this is loud. My friend when driving next to me in his car says its loud himself.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:06 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's that loud something is wrong. And your Oil Pressure seems low.. Maybe something is clogged in the Valley Pan preventing proper oiling to the Head / Valve / Rockers adding to the loud noise you hear in the valve train. I sure wouldn't drive it anymore, until you or someone pulls the Valve covers and takes a look at whats going on. Would be a shame to have a Valve Failure and Crash a Head / Piston.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:21 AM
Torch Z06
Instructor

I too thought the oil pressure was way to low at idle. My friends C6 at idle with a cam is at 42 psi. I hope something aint clogged up cause i already spent 4 G's for the work and am out of money for a good while. Plus i live 8 1/2 hrs from the shop which i just cant drive back over their for them to check it out. I saw from another post about someone having the same problem with Lg g5-x3 cam install and some other members mentioned something about a pinched 0-ring on the oil pump. I wonder if that is causing the valve train to not be properly lubed thus causing the ticking noise cause again the ticking goes away when its at 40 psi.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:32 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

My 01 Z06 has a .598/.602 cam 114LSA. Not quite as big as yours, But my Idle oil Pressure is about 38-40. On heavy acceleration it reaches 52-60. Cruising around town or Highway about 44-48. I hate to say it, But someone or the Shop that did your install is going to have to take a look.

Last edited by slvrzo6; 12-19-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:43 AM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Yeah my cam is a S2 cam which bigger than yours but their is no reason for the oil pressure to be so low and to be ticking that loud. Plus when i start it up and let idle for about 20 seconds and then still rev it up to 4k rpm's - the oil pressure still doesnt shoot past 40 psi- only 33 psi. So your suggestion is to not drive the car anymore until i have someone look at it ? Im gonna pm the shop and have them call me so i can resolve this issue my car is having. I might just have to record what it is doing and post it up on this thread so yall can see exactly what im talking about.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

So did the Shop Dyno tune your Car? If so they should have caught all this on the Dyno.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

PM sent
Old 12-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
So did the Shop Dyno tune your Car? If so they should have caught all this on the Dyno.
Yeah they dyno tuned it for me. I saw all the dyno runs in front of me but i dont ever recall paying attention to that noise being that i have never owned a cammed out car. I know the car didnt take long to start ticking once i left the shop but i thought it was normal and would go away once i put a good few miles on the cam.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
ace996
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cam = ticking.
Headers = louder ticking.

I've both, too, American Racing Swaintech coated headers and the Vengeance VRX5 cam and the car sounds like a couple of sewing machines...and it's loud ticking. Vette Doctors tuned the car after the header install and said all is OK, ticking is normal.

What weight oil are you running? Write down your pressures and call the shop that did the install, post here too, and we'll know if it's an issue.

Enjoy your car,
TomK
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Take it back, $4K is alot of money to potentially drop a valve or have your oil pump fail. Obviously they did not port/shim the oil pump..? I though everybody did that these days on a cam install.. Your injectors shouldn't be maxed out ... Find you a stethescope or a wooden dowel and isolate where the ticking is coming from. I have to agree with the oiling issue.. not enough, pinched "O" ring... JMO.. i am NO expert..
Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
jonnyc
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

you have a .600" lift cam which means you probably have dual valve springs.you're going to have alot more valvetrain noise than you would with a stock setup.it gets even loader with headers.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Originally Posted by ace996
Cam = ticking.
Headers = louder ticking.

I've both, too, American Racing Swaintech coated headers and the Vengeance VRX5 cam and the car sounds like a couple of sewing machines...and it's loud ticking. Vette Doctors tuned the car after the header install and said all is OK, ticking is normal.

What weight oil are you running? Write down your pressures and call the shop that did the install, post here too, and we'll know if it's an issue.

Enjoy your car,
TomK
Well i got to talking to the shop who did the work and was told over the phone to change my oil to a 10w 30 Full synthetic being that they only put a 10w 30 non synthetic oil when they did the cam install. He told me that the synthetic oil should slightly lower the ticking noise. And yes, being that i have a cam with a higher 600 lift- I did have the shop install dual valve springs. The shop told me that my oil pressure was on the low side but for me not to worry unless the oil pressure goes below 28. He mentioned that 28psi to 35psi is right about normal when the motor is just idling. I wonder if i should just consider a high volume oil pump just to be on the safe side.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Just came back from a cruise here in odessa and now my car is idling with 25psi oil pressure. Floored it and only went to 42 psi max. very frustating. gonna change my oil for sure this thursday.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Its Bruce
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd pull the valve covers and wiggle the rocker arms.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Just wiggle the rocker arms ? Anything else i need to pay attention to while the valve covers are off ? I'd appreciate it.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Take it back, $4K is alot of money to potentially drop a valve or have your oil pump fail. Obviously they did not port/shim the oil pump..? I though everybody did that these days on a cam install.. Your injectors shouldn't be maxed out ... Find you a stethescope or a wooden dowel and isolate where the ticking is coming from. I have to agree with the oiling issue.. not enough, pinched "O" ring... JMO.. i am NO expert..
I wonder if they pinched the O ring if they dod install an oil pump....
Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 AM
4SFED Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Its Bruce
I'd pull the valve covers and wiggle the rocker arms.

Im willing to bet you have some loose rocker arms...

Post a video and we may be able to troubleshoot from there.

Get notified of new replies

To Loud Ticking after Cam install and etc.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Im fixing to post up a vid of the car in like 30 minutes so yall can see.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:29 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

After talking to Torch in PM's, I'm not real surprised.

Hope you get it figured out and fixed soon, man! If you come back to Houston, you won't have any issues with the shop I recommended.

Last edited by winters97gt; 12-20-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Here is my video of it idling at 22 and then at 23 for a while. After this vid my friend will load up another vid of us doing a wide open throttle from second gear and shifting into 3rd all the way to redline which it will stay at 42 psi and then hit 48 at the end. Whats weird on that wot run of the 2nd video is that once i let off the throttle it finally hits 50 and then goes down real quick to 24 psi if im not mistaken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8aUt2OQzak

Quick Reply: [Z06] Loud Ticking after Cam install and etc.