Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vararam Intake install

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 01:40 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian458
If you dont have the Power Duct, I doubt you will have much issue other than trying to reinstall the radiator shroud.
we will see......................
Old 01-04-2011, 06:36 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

when you get to the shroud, can you snap a picture before taking it apart to remove it. The bottom left and right sides where it bolts to the cross frame. I want to make sure mine is in the correct placement.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

dig
Old 01-04-2011, 10:39 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the vararam and the power duct as well on my 03Z and I didn't think the install was too bad but the fitment does suck and the whole setup seems very "cheap" as far as quality / materials go. Not to mention the check engine light coming on once in a while with lean codes. Needless to say my stock intake is back on with the zip tie mod.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:42 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1fast97gsx
I have the vararam and the power duct as well on my 03Z and I didn't think the install was too bad but the fitment does suck and the whole setup seems very "cheap" as far as quality / materials go. Not to mention the check engine light coming on once in a while with lean codes. Needless to say my stock intake is back on with the zip tie mod.
I have been told the CODE can be fixed with a good tune ?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZEE-OH-6
I have been told the CODE can be fixed with a good tune ?
Yes it can but the problem is turbulence not the increased airflow. In my opinion if the MAF can't accurately read airflow due to turbulence then doing a tune based on a/f ratio won't be 100% either since turbulence in the intake will change depending on weather / wind / speed etc so the tune can basically get the car close enough to where it's happy at the light stays off but it seems like a better solution would be finding a way to get accurate airflow readings instead. I didn't want to spend several hundred $ on a tune only to need to retune it when more mods are done to the car since that's basically just throwing money away that can be used towards more parts. The airflow straightener / screen "to fix lean codes forever" did not work in my case.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Interesting, all I have mostly heard about the VR is GOOD, but I have also read a couple threads relative to lean codes. Additionally, some say after 50+ miles of driving it on the freeway with it installed the computer adapts / recalibrates to the increased airflow and the codes go away ?
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

from my research the code is from the maf being placed right at the throttle body and you can install the honeycomb stuff in the maf to correct it, or a good tune. In my case, since my maf is between the filter and the power duct (kinda at the same place as it began) i havent gotten a lean code yet
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

from my research the code is from the maf being placed right at the throttle body and you can install the honeycomb stuff in the maf to correct it, or a good tune. In my case, since my maf is between the filter and the power duct (kinda at the same place as it began) i havent gotten a lean code yet
dully noted
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZEE-OH-6
dully noted
Hey Zee buy a honeycomb maf screen from halltech there like $60.00 shipped. From what i read the lean codes are from turbulent air and the screen smooths the air out, there are guys on here that did not tune the car just installed the screen and the codes went away, plus they say a tune will not resolve the lean code issues anyway. I only put about 40-50 miles on my car since install of the vararam then putting it away for the winter but have had no codes yet and plan on a tune this coming spring

Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 10:04 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by machz800ps
Hey Zee buy a honeycomb maf screen from halltech there like $60.00 shipped. From what i read the lean codes are from turbulent air and the screen smooths the air out, there are guys on here that did not tune the car just installed the screen and the codes went away, plus they say a tune will not resolve the lean code issues anyway. I only put about 40-50 miles on my car since install of the vararam then putting it away for the winter but have had no codes yet and plan on a tune this coming spring

Steve
Thanks Steve, will consider
Old 01-05-2011, 07:01 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Steve

This did not work on my car but on others it has apparently worked. From what I've read some cars are just more sensative than others and some will have lean codes while others won't. I tried putting my MAF in the original position, up by the throttle and even clocking it different directions to attempt to get a better reading and cleaned it as well. I also have the maf screen from halltech. My car sees lean codes depending on weather conditions and type of driving, codes are noticed more in warmer climate. Sometimes I can drive 200 + miles without the light coming on, other times it comes on 5 miles after having it off. I would personally NOT spend the $60 on the screen again and also wait to install the intake until you are ready to have it tuned. My other c5 ( non zo6 ) also has a vararam with no issues.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:08 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1fast97gsx
This did not work on my car but on others it has apparently worked. From what I've read some cars are just more sensative than others and some will have lean codes while others won't. I tried putting my MAF in the original position, up by the throttle and even clocking it different directions to attempt to get a better reading and cleaned it as well. I also have the maf screen from halltech. My car sees lean codes depending on weather conditions and type of driving, codes are noticed more in warmer climate. Sometimes I can drive 200 + miles without the light coming on, other times it comes on 5 miles after having it off. I would personally NOT spend the $60 on the screen again and also wait to install the intake until you are ready to have it tuned. My other c5 ( non zo6 ) also has a vararam with no issues.
Well At least it installs easier than the powerduct for the money
Steve
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Well At least it installs easier than the powerduct for the money
Steve

Haha yea that is very true, power duct fitment was horrible!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:11 PM
warren s
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Took me about 4 hours including shortening the MAF cable. Taking down all the under car panels and putting them back is time consuming.

Last edited by warren s; 01-09-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:25 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

mine would not install like that.

I took it for a good long drive yesterday finally. (no rain, weather was 45-50) The car doesnt run as well as it had. I also noticed that every once and awhile, I will get a decel pop in the exhaust, like a back fire but not as loud.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:18 AM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

mine would not install like that.

I took it for a good long drive yesterday finally. (no rain, weather was 45-50) The car doesnt run as well as it had. I also noticed that every once and awhile, I will get a decel pop in the exhaust, like a back fire but not as loud.
Yup mine did the same thing and the check engine light came on after driving it for 2-3 days ... the MAF straightener DID help with those issues but it did not fix the CEL. I ditched my vararam and went back to a stock airbox with a K&N / zip tie mod and I left the power duct and MAF straightener and the car runs better than it did with the vararam.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam Intake install

Old 01-10-2011, 04:08 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel your pain. Took 3.5 hours for me. 1 hour was just being able to get to the damn screws. I have small hands and I STILL had a hard time getting to them because I don't have a 1" extension fitting for my ratchet. (That would have made the job 10x easier.)

But it's worth it in the end. My dad's going to buy one very soon. I'm not looking forward to installing it, but I'm going to end up doing it. LOL
Old 01-10-2011, 07:58 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I feel your pain. Took 3.5 hours for me. 1 hour was just being able to get to the damn screws. I have small hands and I STILL had a hard time getting to them because I don't have a 1" extension fitting for my ratchet. (That would have made the job 10x easier.)

But it's worth it in the end. My dad's going to buy one very soon. I'm not looking forward to installing it, but I'm going to end up doing it. LOL
Hey SCM, besides the install heartache did you notice any performance issues good or bad ?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:18 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

hahaha the only check engine light I get is when the Z is doing its no start BS (see prior thread) No performance CEL's as of yet. And I cant drive it right now to put a few days on the intake install, I got about 6 inches of snow on my driveway.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam Intake install