Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vararam Intake install

Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Vararam products are junk but they sure do produce results at the track.

I replaced my Vararam with a supercharger
Thats kind of a catch 22 statement. If they are junk, they wouldnt perform. Their fitment on some vehicles are junk, but the product is sound.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian458
I just finished installing my Vararam. I will say this, I am a fully capable mechanic. I can rebuild manual transmissions, engines, and most anything else. I have no fear in tackling any repairs. But this, this I will never do again. Took 5.5 hours. Seriously. I took out a T56 from a 68 Camaro today to reseal the trans and install a twin disk. That took 2 hours to drop, in my garage on jack stands by myself. And installing this intake took me 5.5, I will stay 30 mins of that was because I couldnt read the instructions about the Z06 screens.

The fitment of this intake on my car is HORRID. This may just be specific to my car, Im not sure.

The ram ducts fit good, but the center piece that connects the 2 ducts took a lil work to get the holes lines up, but nothing too drastic. But when trying to fit the radiator shroud back into place, that took 1.5 hours in of itself. The ram tubes keep the shroud from being able to move in the specific angle needed to fit back into its place. I had to bend, fight, twist, scream, and beat the thing into its place and it still doesnt quite fit perfect.

Once that was installed, I went to button up with the Power Duct. That is where the 2nd half of my time was spent. This does not fit the way the instructions say. Even after manipulating the pieces for hours, it still does not fit right, but I have it together and running. I can try to explain the misfitment, but pictures work better. So here are a few I snapped while between fits of anger.

What was on the car when I bought it.

This is how it is suppose to install, with the MAF being at the very end of the Power Duct and right at the Throttle Body.

This is how the MAF is suppose to be according to instructions.

This is the reason for the trouble. The tubing, under no condition, fit the way the instructions say or show. Physically impossible. The bend in the Power Duct does not appear to be enough for my Z. The intake duct that came off had more of a turn back when coming from across the radiator.

So this is the result of 5.5 hours. Note that the setup still doesnt fit very well. You can see that the Throttle body to Power Duct connection is in a bind still. And I had to move the MAF to between the Vararam and the Power Duct. Even in this configuration, the Power Duct is still pushed against the bottom of the hood. But it is together.

I will NEVER buy an intake system like this. Of course this may just be with just my car. I have not read of others with this issue, just me. I typically change out my cars in the 1.5-2.5 year range, and I will say that after this install I will just skip the 30-40hp and stick a blower on the car. It would take less time.
NO, it's not just you or your car. I too am a life long auto tech [40 plus years] and I had the same problems. The power duct still interferes with the closing of the hood. Also, I had to install the MAF where you did. I did like the throttle response once I was finished though.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:49 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kh400
NO, it's not just you or your car. I too am a life long auto tech [40 plus years] and I had the same problems. The power duct still interferes with the closing of the hood. Also, I had to install the MAF where you did. I did like the throttle response once I was finished though.
I love it too, just wish it would fit correctly. I can def tell that there has been a performance increase by the seat of my pants feel. Too bad I havent been able to drive the car more than 3 hours last week tho.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM
bethunsl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my Z with the vararam already on it. It had lean codes until I installed the screen from Haltech. The fit of the factory duct was not that good so I replaced it with a powerduct from Zip. Everything looks and works much better than it did before and I'm now happy with the system. Hopefully later this spring I will get a tune done on the car.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:53 PM
v84life
Instructor

Here is mine no fitment issues what so ever, the m.a.f sits directly in the plastic of the power duct on the inlet side maybe that is you're problem I do not have a red coupler on each side of the m.a.f that is only if you are using the stock air bridge.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by v84life
Here is mine no fitment issues what so ever, the m.a.f sits directly in the plastic of the power duct on the inlet side maybe that is you're problem I do not have a red coupler on each side of the m.a.f that is only if you are using the stock air bridge.

[/IMG]
My maf does not fit inside of the power duct. I have since moved my maf from infront of the throttle body to the section betweent the filter housing and the power duct. The Maf kept moving back slightly, causing contact with the 90mm DBW blade and throwing the car into limp mode.

It is still a pain to fit but it all fits now, just super tight. Also, getting the filter housing on is a PITA because the radiator shroud is bound up against it.

Performance is wonderful tho.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:22 PM
v84life
Instructor

Ok well maybe it depends on the year but on mine the m.a.f snapped right into end of the power duct I do have a 93mm Delphi M.a.f not sure if that makes a difference and that is how the instructions I had said to install it for my application.

Last edited by v84life; 10-05-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:41 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Yeah, fitment has been known now to be sketch on some cars, but not all. After I installed this, some time later, I had my car tuned at Hientz Racing and they were the ones to find out my maf and throttle blade were hitting.

I'm not too worried about it now as I have found a way to have it fit on my car somewhat ok. But like I said, I love the performance of this intake system.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
bobby777
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Milan
Vararam products are junk but they sure do produce results at the track.

I replaced my Vararam with a supercharger
Must have slowed down a tad-
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

i feel your pain man...took me 6 hours...only longer cause i was cleaning everything while i was in there...but mine fit good..its just tight getting in there and doing the work...my neck was deft sore for a few days
Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by v84life

i installed mine in the same location as the orginal thread starter..is there an advantage to running it closer to the TB like you did?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM
skull
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

guess not lol. i plan to tackle mine in the next few days. gonna be 65 degrees in the middle of the week ill try to take pictures. im still not totally sure how the part of intake that reaches down to the mesh grill is suppose to attach or go. mine came with no directions.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:14 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by skull
guess not lol. i plan to tackle mine in the next few days. gonna be 65 degrees in the middle of the week ill try to take pictures. im still not totally sure how the part of intake that reaches down to the mesh grill is suppose to attach or go. mine came with no directions.
http://www.vararam.com/VR-B2_instructions.pdf

OR

http://www.101corvetteprojects.com/2...-installation/

Internet is used for more than just **** my friend
Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
skull
Drifting

Thanks alot. What do you mean there are things other then **** to look for on the internet???

I thought internet was a cover name for ****
Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skull
Thanks alot. What do you mean there are things other then **** to look for on the internet???

I thought internet was a cover name for ****
You have no idea how close to true that is.

*serious face*
Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
You have no idea how close to true that is.

*serious face*
Internet

90% ****
8% stuff thats creepy and can be also considered **** but i dont know about that....
2% useful stuff

lol

Every try to watch Youtube videos and click the video's on the right of "similar" stuff. How many does it take until you are on the wrong side of youtube watching some odd/messed up/ WTF videos? lol
Old 03-07-2012, 10:48 AM
skull
Drifting

Lol the next video duh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Vararam Intake install