Sponsored by:

[Z06] Brake pads, hawk hps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Swayse
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pads, hawk hps?

All the research I've done and searching, seems to point me to hawk hps brake pads, but I swore I'd never buy another hawk brake pad. I put them on my hot rod diesel, 11.86 @ 114.1, along with slotted rotors, and I thought they were ok, until one of them separated. Since I was in a bind, I went to Napa and bought the cheapest brake pad they had to get me by until I could get another set of Hawk pads. I really liked those cheap pads, they worked well, and lasted 20,000 miles. Hauling that truck down at the end of the drag strip wasn't the easiest on brakes.

I'm a really easy driver, until I'm not, so ceramics are out of the question. I'm not sure what the car has on it now, I think stock pads, but I've noticed some fade when playing around, but it's not too bad. I'd rather deal with dust and noise, and still be able to haul my car down from 150 safely. I had some sort of carbon brake pads on a trans am, they needed a little heat to work, I hate that, panic stops suck like that. I like pads with initial bite, but no fade.

My rotors need to be replaced, they are pretty wore, I'm thinking Napa Ultra premium blanks.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

How about this pad

The AX6™ takes the place of the Panther Plus™ compound that was so successful. AX6™ was specifically engineered for Autocross applications. A high torque brake compound delivering reliable and consistent performance over a very wide operating temperature range (50°F to 1150°F +). Advanced compound matrix provides an excellent initial “bite”, high coefficient of friction, and very progressive brake modulation and release characteristics. AX6™ offers high fade resistance, rotor friendliness at all temperatures, excellent cold stopping power, and non corrosive dust. As a result, AX6™ is an excellent choice for Autocross & AX6™ has gained tremendous popularity with SCCA Prosolo/Solo2 competitors for its fantastic bite, release & modulation. Many drivers use the AX6™ for street driving as well, even though Carbotech doesn’t recommend street driving with AX6™ due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise. AX6™ is NOT a race compound, and should not be used as such. AX6™ shouldn’t be used by any intermediate or advanced track day drivers, and should not be used with “R” compound tires (racing tires).
Old 01-27-2011, 01:30 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

had hawk's on my Sti and cant say i really cared for them... Squeeked and alot of dust and didnt stop as well as the stock brembo pads... On my 04 Z I Put Performance Friction Carbon metallic with slotted rotors (power slot -Centric) and happy, Stop good (simmilar to stock maybe a little better) and less dust. There are alot of brake pads out there, its a matter of trying one till you find one you like. Ceramics im sure you have read are much less dust but don't stop as good so i would look for a Metallic/Semi Metallic if your looking for more bite.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:44 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

If you use the Hawk HPS we haven't had any complaints of noise, or lack of performance. If you use HP+ you'll certainly get dust and noise, so stick with the HPS.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Get notified of new replies

To Brake pads, hawk hps?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brake pads, hawk hps?