Sponsored by:

[Z06] Vettehound Scam "Don't be a victim"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 12:45 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Vettehound Scam "Don't be a victim"

Thought I did enough research but apparently to late. Found this after the fact . Did a search on vettehound and the first thing that came up was a link to the corvette forum about it being a scam! "To all" this is a full blown scam site do not get in involve. This one was a Google Checkout deal. What is to good to be true usually is. Won't go into detail because there's to much. I will say that I now have local police and the the FBI looking into this. I can't begin to tell you how I feel like such an Idiot. Please stay away from this site and do not get involved with any Google Checkout deal involving a car.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Torch Z06
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happen ??? Did u purchase something ?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:21 PM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-28-2011, 01:26 PM
RUNWME
Instructor

Just googled it and found http://www.vettehound.com/geo/classi...php?a=2&b=9557
2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Lingenfelter with 427 Twin Turbo package for 10k ? or a couple 2004's for 8700? and 12k
for one with only 6,000 miles gosh... makes me think I way overpaid for mine!

what happened to you ?
Old 01-28-2011, 01:46 PM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM
BrentC5Z
Pro

I tried to contact several seller for vettes I found on that site. Not one reply. It make sense now.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:43 PM
lovecars
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fisher auto
Thought I did enough research but apparently to late. Found this after the fact . Did a search on vettehound and the first thing that came up was a link to the corvette forum about it being a scam! "To all" this is a full blown scam site do not get in involve. This one was a Google Checkout deal. What is to good to be true usually is. Won't go into detail because there's to much. I will say that I now have local police and the the FBI looking into this. I can't begin to tell you how I feel like such an Idiot. Please stay away from this site and do not get involved with any Google Checkout deal involving a car.
This is what it says when you click on the seller :

"Fill in the form below with your return email address and your question. Click the button at the bottom of the form when through and we will forward you message to the seller.
NOTE: Please remember the basics when showing interest in a vehicle:
1) If the deal is too good to be true it probably is.2) Check the ad for consistency and believability
3) Establish phone contact with the seller and determine where the vehicle is located
4) Use CarFax or similar services to verify background information
5) Never give out personal or financial information until you verify that the escrow you are using is legitimate
6) Beware if a seller insists on using a specific escrow. You have the right to choose your own.
7) Do not pay or accept local transactions using large amounts of cash. Arrange to meet the buyer at a local bank and complete the transaction there. Only accept certified cheque or bank drafts as payment methods.
8) Make sure you understand all the requirements for vehicle ownership, export and import. "

At first I though the site was a SCAM as you stated, but I didn't see anything wrong with it besides an extremely stupid LOW price for a Corvette...

I think it's the scammers listing on it...

I had a guy list one of my cars that I had listed on Ebay on another site, I didn't know till the District Attorney of San Diego called me and asked me if I still had the car, he ran the VIN number and found me... I told him that the car had sold the week before on EBay and that it was a scam. I don't know what happened but I think an investigation was started.
The scammer even had his own "escrow website" and he wanted $5000 deposit for a $50,000 car. Once someone pays the scammer on this non-existant "escrow website" that money is gone.....

OUCH.

The District Attorney wanted to buy the car....

Old 01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-28-2011, 06:02 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BrentC5Z
I tried to contact several seller for vettes I found on that site. Not one reply. It make sense now.
Well here's the long and short. Saw an 06' 39xxx miles for $24000 It's still there first page. Sent email forgot about it. Ironic I got in email from this guy saying its still aval. (the day I was going to sign papers on an 07' I was buying local) He said it was priced for quick sale because he was a delagete and lawyer and didn't have time for it. Wanted to go through this Google Checkout because last guy screwed him. Sent me a link for the google site and it was or looked legit. Google name very detailed live chat everything. Well a stack of emails later after I already wired the money, I get one from his wife saying he was in a bad car accident and would have to cancel transaction. I get an email from Google saying the transaction was being cancel for security and my money would be returned. Turned out, yea you guess I had already be scamed and they were just playing along . Emails got further apart from Google to none. So I decided to email this guy not thinking he'd reply. Emails me and says he's feeling better we can go head with the transaction, Yea! So now I'm playing along telling him my kid is sick and need the money back . He now is saying what money. Local police are involved and said def a scam will do want we can, but well now beside being an large idiot, I assumed I would get the money back, I went and put a large deposit on the 07' 12kmiles and bought it. So now I got a car a car payment and my bank account is Fxxxxd. Luckily I had 2 other C5 Z06's already sold one anybody looking for an 01' 21k miles 552hp Yellow for a good price. There are some things I left out but I think you got the idea. What a Fuxxing idiot I am I can't tell you how stupid I feel! I can't believe that people get away with this.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lovecars
This is what it says when you click on the seller :

"Fill in the form below with your return email address and your question. Click the button at the bottom of the form when through and we will forward you message to the seller.
NOTE: Please remember the basics when showing interest in a vehicle:
1) If the deal is too good to be true it probably is.2) Check the ad for consistency and believability
3) Establish phone contact with the seller and determine where the vehicle is located
4) Use CarFax or similar services to verify background information
5) Never give out personal or financial information until you verify that the escrow you are using is legitimate
6) Beware if a seller insists on using a specific escrow. You have the right to choose your own.
7) Do not pay or accept local transactions using large amounts of cash. Arrange to meet the buyer at a local bank and complete the transaction there. Only accept certified cheque or bank drafts as payment methods.
8) Make sure you understand all the requirements for vehicle ownership, export and import. "

At first I though the site was a SCAM as you stated, but I didn't see anything wrong with it besides an extremely stupid LOW price for a Corvette...

I think it's the scammers listing on it...

I had a guy list one of my cars that I had listed on Ebay on another site, I didn't know till the District Attorney of San Diego called me and asked me if I still had the car, he ran the VIN number and found me... I told him that the car had sold the week before on EBay and that it was a scam. I don't know what happened but I think an investigation was started.
The scammer even had his own "escrow website" and he wanted $5000 deposit for a $50,000 car. Once someone pays the scammer on this non-existant "escrow website" that money is gone.....

OUCH.

The District Attorney wanted to buy the car....

Well I did do some of this but apparently not enough, did carfax, did talk to guy on phone, said the car was in Oklahoma carfax confirmed and plate number was blocked but you could see it said Okla. but guess I forgot the part about to good to be true.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

In fact I had contacted someone else on Vettehound around the same time and he just recently email me. heres the message.

Hello ,
Thank you for your email and I want to apologize for my delay in replying .
I will try to answer clearly to all your questions. First I want to mention that the car is located in Spain (Valencia). The car has been bought from United States while I was working there as a programmer at a Software Company for 1 year. Now I have turned back in Spain because the working contract expired . I do not want to keep the car in Spain because the insurance taxes are very expensive . The car will be sold with all original documentation.It has clean title.I 'm the second owner of it . I assure you the car looks and works perfectly , never being involved in any accidents or damages(the service book can confirm it) . In case you are interested to buy it do not hesitate to contact me .
I wait your reply .
Thank you

Unbelievable
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 PM
lovecars
Racer

In fact I had contacted someone else on Vettehound around the same time and he just recently email me. heres the message.

Hello ,
Thank you for your email and I want to apologize for my delay in replying .
I will try to answer clearly to all your questions. First I want to mention that the car is located in Spain (Valencia). The car has been bought from United States while I was working there as a programmer at a Software Company for 1 year. Now I have turned back in Spain because the working contract expired . I do not want to keep the car in Spain because the insurance taxes are very expensive . The car will be sold with all original documentation.It has clean title.I 'm the second owner of it . I assure you the car looks and works perfectly , never being involved in any accidents or damages(the service book can confirm it) . In case you are interested to buy it do not hesitate to contact me .
I wait your reply .
Thank you

Unbelievable
That's the exact script that the guy trying to sell my car was using, he was here and had to leave and now it's too expensive to ship.... and on and on.....

Bastards, I feel sorry for you, don't feel too bad, this scammers get away from stealing money from innocent people at the amount of $2 billion dollars a year according to the FBI..

And it didn't start with the internet, in the 80's i used to get LETTERS from nigeria asking me to help them hide millions of dollars etc....

We all make mistakes, the good thing is that we learn from them....

The internet now is like the Old West, you don't know if your *** is going to get shot just around the corner and then good luck finding the perp... (I'm an IT Consultant and that is the line I use)

Old 01-28-2011, 09:29 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lovecars
That's the exact script that the guy trying to sell my car was using, he was here and had to leave and now it's too expensive to ship.... and on and on.....

Bastards, I feel sorry for you, don't feel too bad, this scammers get away from stealing money from innocent people at the amount of $2 billion dollars a year according to the FBI..

And it didn't start with the internet, in the 80's i used to get LETTERS from nigeria asking me to help them hide millions of dollars etc....

We all make mistakes, the good thing is that we learn from them....

The internet now is like the Old West, you don't know if your *** is going to get shot just around the corner and then good luck finding the perp... (I'm an IT Consultant and that is the line I use)

Yea, but I always try to research things, just wish I had been more alert! There won't be a next time.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Vette Fetish
Pro

Not that I intend to purchase another car off the Internet, been there done that. My two Vettes were purchased thru Ebay from sellers living in states other than my own. So my Vettes were purchased sight unseen. Actually my Vettes are both great cars but there were small issues that were easily corrected.

Receiving the Titles was the biggest PIA.I have to admit I was beginning to feel a tab bit uneasy till I had the titles in my posession. Both Vettes were in my posession several weeks before the Titles arrived.

I Googled Vette Hound and am wondering if the Web Site is the scammer or are the scammers sellers which have used Vette Hound to advertise their Vettes?

fisher auto, I am truly sorry you have had this unpleasant experience and would like to Thank you for posting your story in the Forum. Hopefully reading this posting will prevent others from being scammed.

Hopefully you will get your mney back and all is well.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

I buy through the forums

/story
Old 01-29-2011, 12:08 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vette Fetish
Not that I intend to purchase another car off the Internet, been there done that. My two Vettes were purchased thru Ebay from sellers living in states other than my own. So my Vettes were purchased sight unseen. Actually my Vettes are both great cars but there were small issues that were easily corrected.

Receiving the Titles was the biggest PIA.I have to admit I was beginning to feel a tab bit uneasy till I had the titles in my posession. Both Vettes were in my posession several weeks before the Titles arrived.

I Googled Vette Hound and am wondering if the Web Site is the scammer or are the scammers sellers which have used Vette Hound to advertise their Vettes?

fisher auto, I am truly sorry you have had this unpleasant experience and would like to Thank you for posting your story in the Forum. Hopefully reading this posting will prevent others from being scammed.

Hopefully you will get your mney back and all is well.
Thank you and that's why I posted as much as I feel like an ***. I also had bought vettes from the forums and ebay with no problems, guess I got sloppy.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:48 PM
wildwall
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you and that's why I posted as much as I feel like an ***. I also had bought vettes from the forums and ebay with no problems, guess I got sloppy.
Once bitten, twice shy.

Get notified of new replies

To Vettehound Scam "Don't be a victim"

Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wildwall
Once bitten, twice shy.
Yea, No kidding about that!
Old 01-29-2011, 04:41 PM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Hey when I went to my Bank before I sent the money I had asked them if they heard of this Google Checkout? Do you think they should of done some kind of check to see for me. I know I wanted to send the money but isn't it the banks responsibility to protect there customers. Because once I woke up and realized what happen I went back and they said they could do an investigation. And also replied that it was probably a scam. G thanks asshols
Old 01-29-2011, 04:51 PM
RUNWME
Instructor

We do appreciate you sharing your experience. Hopefully it will save a brother on the forum the same fate.
Good luck with your new car.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vettehound Scam "Don't be a victim"