Sponsored by:

[Z06] Shifting stiffness - what's normal

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:38 AM
mwike
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting stiffness - what's normal

I'm in the market for a C5 Z06 and to date have only taken one out on a test drive. This car was an '01 with about 80,000 miles and beging offerred for sale at the local used car lot where it had been bought at auction.

The shifting was very stiff on this car - all gear changes. From 1st to 2nd was very stiff. It never missed a shift, but I had to use much more force than I expected. I'm comparing the ease of shifting to an older Porsche and a 2004 Mustang GT my father has. Also, the stiffness was there at low and higher RPM's.

I searched the forum, but cannot tell if this stiffness is normal. Also, if it's not, what would be the likelihood that a PPI on a car bought sight unseen would catch any transmission gear/synchro problem?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The GM 6 spd shifter shifts easily.
However it's well documented of having problems @ high rpm shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

Being that the Z you drove used more force/energy to shift, leans towards the shifter being an aftermarket.

When I switched from stock to Hurst, The missed 2 to 3 went away.
However it takes more force/energy to shift to all gears including
reverse.
I wouldn' let this be a deal breaker.
The dealer/person selling the car could have the shifter exposed, to see what model/make it is.
A competent machanic could check that out start, to finish in aprox a half an hour.
Good luck.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:41 PM
skylarkul
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Alternatives

Originally Posted by mwike
...The shifting was very stiff on this car - all gear changes. From 1st to 2nd was very stiff. It never missed a shift, but I had to use much more force than I expected. ... Also, the stiffness was there at low and higher RPM's....I searched the forum, but cannot tell if this stiffness is normal.
There is a Sticky on the Autocross Forum by Zenak that talks about replacing the POS C5 Z shifter with one from a C6 Z for about $200.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM
USMCVetteZ06
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 2004 SVT Cobra T56 to the C5Z...shifts were much easier and lighter, also a much lighter clutch
Old 01-31-2011, 03:13 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

On my 02Z,the Anti-Venom ( 3 washers) mod and switching to Amsoil ATD fluid cured the shifting Ills of my B&M shifter.

Firm positive shifts with a good "snic-snic" feel/sound.

As always,IMO.Opinions & Results vary.

\db2
carolina
Old 01-31-2011, 07:29 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

As dbaker mentioned, a lot, but not all, stiff shifting problems can be fixed with a tranny fluid change. In general, before anyone spends money on a tranny repair, I'd recommend taking this low cost option as a first step.

In the 01 you test drove, entirely possible it is running the stock tranny fluid, which shears down pretty fast. The stock tranny fluid in my 06 CTS-V lost 40% of its viscosity in just over 10k miles. At 80k, who knows how the fluid in the 01 you test drove is doing.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I agree that the fluid may need to be changed. I always used the stock shifter in my C5s and never had an issue with missing shifts or hard shifting. The shifter has a little stiffer and longer throw than an 08 C6 tranny but it isn't bad. You should be able to put your palm on the top of the **** and shift with 3 fingers and a push of the heel of the hand along with some arm movement to get to all gears. Don't grab it with your fist sideways or you will screw up the shifting.

Bill
Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
NatB
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a short throw MGW shifter on my 2002 Z06.

The shifting is "somewhat" more precise- but more exacting is perhaps a better term.

Much stiffer than the stock shifter was- nonetheless, preferable to stock. I just need to take her driving more often.

Get notified of new replies

To Shifting stiffness - what's normal

Quick Reply: [Z06] Shifting stiffness - what's normal