Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Eric Reeves
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

These brakes are rated for the life of the car when used for street duty only. Name just ONE brake system that provides the same. I know of none. If I had the cash to throw out for brakes this would be it for me too since I only track my car 2-3 times a year. It would be 20yrs before I had to do anything at least. With my luck, I wouldn't be here anyway.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:45 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Place this post in the RR forum

I have zero experience with ZR1, besides complete exhaust system
Old 04-25-2011, 07:46 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
please explain how this an order of magnitude better when replacement carbon ceramic rotors cost 5k and iron rotors are much much cheaper than that

The following rotor is from Hardbar's web site. It is a 12.81 inch iron rotor with an aluminum hat - http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=154

Cost: $950

It won't last 20% of the life of a ceramic rotor - $950 x 5 = $4,750 versus $1,300.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:34 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Pumba
Over on the Autocross and Roadracing forum they stated that Spring Mountain Driving School is reporting 5,000 to 6,000 all-out track miles on pads and 12,000+ miles on the rotors. This is an order of magnitude better than iron rotors and their pads.
Originally Posted by Joe_Planet
please explain how this an order of magnitude better when replacement carbon ceramic rotors cost 5k and iron rotors are much much cheaper than that
His "order of magnitude" comment was in reference to wear - not price. Obviously price is not the main concern here.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doje
His "order of magnitude" comment was in reference to wear - not price. Obviously price is not the main concern here.

Correct, the wear reported by Spring Mountain is an order of magnitude better than what they have been experience with iron brake systems.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Bash
Stupid expensive....Id rather get some Stoptech

So..............why not just add the carbon/ceramic ROTORS to my Stoptech BBK?

Last edited by 63Corvette; 05-11-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The following rotor is from Hardbar's web site. It is a 12.81 inch iron rotor with an aluminum hat - http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=154

Cost: $950

It won't last 20% of the life of a ceramic rotor - $950 x 5 = $4,750 versus $1,300.
The rotors are cheaper than the hat + rotor replacement. Figure half of that.

Have you done the install yet?

Are the ZR1 calipers similar to the Z06 calipers or totally new castings? I am interested in the perfmance gains of the lighter rotating mass of the rotors out front.

Last edited by RC45; 05-11-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
007Duc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the casting is different then the C6Z06 caliper even though it is also a six piston design and the mount points are the same. I got a chance to look at them close at a dealership showroom and compare. The Grand Sport calipers are the same as Z06 calipers I believe. Sounds cool, even though it does have a massive initial price tag. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably do it.

Keep this in mind though, the performance on the street WILL BE WORSE! That's not to say they wont work. Don't really need to bang your head against the front windshield on the street. Carbon Ceramic Rotors don't start working until they heat up significantly. You will most likely never get these in their temperature operating range on the street. I recall someone here mentioned that he drove a ZR1 on the track and attested to the brakes never fading the more he pounded on them at a track. This is why. The Carbon Ceramic rotors are designed to operate at at super high temps. I suppose you will probably feel better suspension dynamics and handling improvements with the lighter rotating weight also.

Like I mentioned, if I had the money, which I most likely never will, I'd be willing to make these compromises. If anyone has a ton of cash they just absolutely cannot find anything to do with I'd be happy to relieve them of that stress.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 007Duc
I believe the casting is different then the C6Z06 caliper even though it is also a six piston design and the mount points are the same. I got a chance to look at them close at a dealership showroom and compare. The Grand Sport calipers are the same as Z06 calipers I believe. Sounds cool, even though it does have a massive initial price tag. If I had unlimited funds I'd probably do it.

Keep this in mind though, the performance on the street WILL BE WORSE! That's not to say they wont work. Don't really need to bang your head against the front windshield on the street. Carbon Ceramic Rotors don't start working until they heat up significantly. You will most likely never get these in their temperature operating range on the street. I recall someone here mentioned that he drove a ZR1 on the track and attested to the brakes never fading the more he pounded on them at a track. This is why. The Carbon Ceramic rotors are designed to operate at at super high temps. I suppose you will probably feel better suspension dynamics and handling improvements with the lighter rotating weight also.

Like I mentioned, if I had the money, which I most likely never will, I'd be willing to make these compromises. If anyone has a ton of cash they just absolutely cannot find anything to do with I'd be happy to relieve them of that stress.
Could be......................BUT, I think you may be confusing Carbon/Carbon brakes (carbon pads and carbon discs) with carbon ceramic (street) brakes. The full carbon brakes are RACE brakes, operate at very high temperatures, and degrade equally from both rotor and pad. The street carbon/ceramic brakes such as OEM on ZR1 and GT-3 are very light, which is an advantage, but the rotor does not degrade, just the pad. According to Team Oreca, a set of (4) carbon rotors for their Viper is, um.......$50,000!
Old 05-12-2011, 12:23 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC45
The rotors are cheaper than the hat + rotor replacement. Figure half of that.

Have you done the install yet?

Are the ZR1 calipers similar to the Z06 calipers or totally new castings? I am interested in the perfmance gains of the lighter rotating mass of the rotors out front.

I received my shipment from the GM dealer last Thursday. I repacked the calipers and sent them to The Powdercoater.com - Mike so he could change their color from baby blue to TORCH RED. Mike said it will be in early June before he will have them done.

In the mean time, I am painting the new C6 knuckles and the steel hat section of the rear rotors. After Mike returns my calipers, I will take a complete set of pictures and weigh all the parts before I start the installation.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:32 PM
RC45
Race Director

I received my shipment from the GM dealer last Thursday. I repacked the calipers and sent them to The Powdercoater.com - Mike so he could change their color from baby blue to TORCH RED. Mike said it will be in early June before he will have them done.

In the mean time, I am painting the new C6 knuckles and the steel hat section of the rear rotors. After Mike returns my calipers, I will take a complete set of pictures and weigh all the parts before I start the installation.
I am interested in the results. I might like to try incorporate the carbon rotors into my TTU build just for the hell of it
Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM
KrispyZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool stuff man!
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

I checked into utilizing the ZR1 brakes on my 2006 Z06. It's a massive undertaking. Here's why~
The ZR1 brake sensors are mated with a BOSCH computer with regards to AH and TC. (Probably ABS too but not sure. )

My car came with DELPHI computer for AH & TC. The ZR1 brakes are not compatible with my car.

Also, the rotational mass advantage of the CC rotors is lost when you install larger wheels. This has been proven by similar lap times for both regular and carbon Z06's.

Now, if an aftermarketer came out with a set of CC rotors and pads for my car, where I could still utilize my stock wheels & calipers...
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by NORTY
I checked into utilizing the ZR1 brakes on my 2006 Z06. It's a massive undertaking. Here's why~
The ZR1 brake sensors are mated with a BOSCH computer with regards to AH and TC. (Probably ABS too but not sure. )

My car came with DELPHI computer for AH & TC. The ZR1 brakes are not compatible with my car.

Also, the rotational mass advantage of the CC rotors is lost when you install larger wheels. This has been proven by similar lap times for both regular and carbon Z06's.

Now, if an aftermarketer came out with a set of CC rotors and pads for my car, where I could still utilize my stock wheels & calipers...
One thing to consider though is that the factory ZR1 wheels which are on the Carbon Z06 are rediculously heavy. If you had light weight forged wheels, the increased rotational mass would not be as big an issue. Now, the compatibility issue is a whole different problem. Or is it?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NORTY

Let me give you some data to ponder:

1) The ZR1 Michelin tires are run-flats. That adds 18 lbs to the rotational mass of the ZR1. I am not running run-flats.

2) The ZR1 ceramic front rotors weigh on my bathroom scale - 12.5 lbs. The C6 Z06 front rotors weigh in the area of 27 lbs. Less rotational mass.

3) I am running HRE three piece wheels. These are lighter than the factory ZR1 wheels. Less rotational mass.

I don't know if you have ever compared the pad area of a C6 ZR1 pad versus the C5 or C6 Z06 pads, but the differrence is startling.

-
Old 05-12-2011, 02:11 PM
RC45
Race Director

Are the ZR! pads 1 piece pads?

What size wheel are you running?

My Hardbar rotors are 19lbs, so there is still 7lbs to save with the carbon rotors. But then again I only need an 18" wheel up front that weighs 22lb. What do your HRE fronts weigh?

What is the word on how quick they get up tot operatin gtemp? Quicker than the iron rotors?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:40 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I wasn't aware that braking deflection was that a big of a concern, seeing as the C6 knuckles are physically are a tiny bit larger than C5 in certain areas and yet still interchangeable; which tells me that the beefing up wasn't that big of a deal; but all bets are off if they changed the metallurgy (which I don't know). However, there are plenty of C5's and C6's that are running brakes that are superior the ZR1 brakes. Strange, I've seen a couple 430Scud's swap out to aftermarket kits to get better performance and keep their ceramics on the side.

For a street car, these ZR1 brakes would be a really cool thing and be the holy grail for ultimate Vette bling. Great performance and that cachet of uniqueness.

Norty,

I was talking with a PFC engineer at PRI back in December, and I brought up the topic of converting iron to carbon ceramics, IIRC his observations were that while dimensionally possible; in racing use the energy absorbed by the cc rotor and the accompanying pads can cause dangerous loads on the pistons and calipers if not designed from the get go.

Last edited by OKsweetrides; 05-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry

Old 05-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC45
Are the ZR! pads 1 piece pads?

What size wheel are you running?

My Hardbar rotors are 19lbs, so there is still 7lbs to save with the carbon rotors. But then again I only need an 18" wheel up front that weighs 22lb. What do your HRE fronts weigh?

What is the word on how quick they get up tot operatin gtemp? Quicker than the iron rotors?

The C6 ZR1 pads are one-piece. I will post pictures of all the pieces once I have my calipers back from Mike at ThePowdercoater.com, and I can complete my conversion.

I am running the following wheels sizes:

Front: 19 x 10 inches, with 285/30R19 Michelin PS2 tires

Rear: 20 x 12 inches, with 325/25R20 Michelin PS2 tires

These are my street tires and wheels. The guys are CC Wheels tell me that they have 18 inch wheels that will clear the ZR1 brakes.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
I wasn't aware that braking deflection was that a big of a concern, seeing as the C6 knuckles are physically are a tiny bit larger than C5 in certain areas and yet still interchangeable; which tells me that the beefing up wasn't that big of a deal; but all bets are off if they changed the metallurgy (which I don't know). However, there are plenty of C5's and C6's that are running brakes that are superior the ZR1 brakes. Strange, I've seen a couple 430Scud's swap out to aftermarket kits to get better performance and keep their ceramics on the side.

For a street car, these ZR1 brakes would be a really cool thing and be the holy grail for ultimate Vette bling. Great performance and that cachet of uniqueness.

According to Tadge Juechter, the Corvette Chief Engineer, the Corvette Development team discovered the front knuckle deflection during the developmenet of the ZR1 brakes. Seeing that they have money to throw away, they decided to stiffen the knuckles.

Now I am also sure that there are any number of C5 and C6 Corvette racers who have instrumented their front knuckles and determined that the Corvette Development team's data is in error.

In addition, I am certain that these same individuals have equipped a Corvette with ZR1 brakes, properly bedded them, put racing tires on the test mule, and then done back-to-back braking tests versus their superior braking system race cars.

I anxiously await the test data.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Chris_B
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F430 owners are not converting to iron for better performance (although they can theoretically obtain more braking torque, but they would gain a LOT of unsprung weight). They have found that on the track they oxidize the carbon-ceramic discs to the point that they need replacement. At around $2700 each, most have decided that using up $400 iron discs makes for a more enjoyable outing. They just bolt the CCM's back on when it comes time to sell the car. They type of CCM disc that the Scud uses (same as the ZR1), cannot be resurfaced.

I was talking with a PFC engineer at PRI back in December, and I brought up the topic of converting iron to carbon ceramics, IIRC his observations were that while dimensionally possible; in racing use the energy absorbed by the cc rotor and the accompanying pads can cause dangerous loads on the pistons and calipers if not designed from the get go.
Let's not confuse carbon-carbon (used in racing) and carbon-ceramic (road car brakes). While there are some similarities in the first few production phases, the application of each is quite a bit different.

Chris

Quick Reply: [Z06] C6 ZR1 Brakes on a C5 - Serious Inquiry